mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-05-2006, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
terrible speller

Send a message via AIM to knightmare96

Paintball Economy

Why is it that I can buy a new spider clone for half the price of a drop forward?

Seriously what is so special about these little pieces of metal bent at an angle that make them 40 dollars?

10 years ago I'd have loved to have something like a VL Orion or a Winchester. Rear cocking spyders that sounded so cool. Now with way more moving parts than a something like a drop forward, and definately more functionality these guns sell for pennys by comparison.

It just doesnt make any sense.

This is what happens when I spend to long on Ebay. End Rant
Old 04-05-2006, 11:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare96
Why is it that I can buy a new spider clone for half the price of a drop forward?

Seriously what is so special about these little pieces of metal bent at an angle that make them 40 dollars?

10 years ago I'd have loved to have something like a VL Orion or a Winchester. Rear cocking spyders that sounded so cool. Now with way more moving parts than a something like a drop forward, and definately more functionality these guns sell for pennys by comparison.

It just doesnt make any sense.

This is what happens when I spend to long on Ebay. End Rant
Of all the parts that one could complain about, It is interesting that you note drop forwards. I agree with you entirely. I want a really small drop and asa for a couple markers. It would be super easy to shell out $60 or more on that alone!! How crazy is that? This is such an expensive sport...
MrJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
I'll split your arrow!

Send a message via AIM to mark Send a message via MSN to mark

For some reason the "agg" crowd hates drops, something about improper form or something. But the agg crowd hate spyders even more.

my $2.

1. hurricane
An temporary alliance formed between the ocean and the sky with the goal of killing people. The ocean's ability to attack the land is limited, so it lends the sky some of its water and energy so it can assault people farther inland then it normally could.
Hurricanes are far more powerful then the storms the sky creates on its own. They are just another reason the ocean must be destroyed.
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
terrible speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark
For some reason the "agg" crowd hates drops, something about improper form or something. But the agg crowd hate spyders even more.

my $2.

The "agg" crowd doesn't know what it hates untill PBNation tells them what to hate.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
I am not a macodomy!!

Quote:
Duh, they have those two little threaded holes to screw the asa into, that's why. You think threads come cheap, sheet no. And don't start me on the taps they must have to use. Poor chaps must be making mere chump change on those drops.
Remember when you bought the marker and maybe a hopper and that was it, now it's all about the add-ons and even hundreds of dollars just for looks. If the marker could take add-ons someone was going to make them and set the price.
Some may ask why you would pay $200+ for a Phantom pump, or hundreds of dollars for a PPS job. That would be quality and craftsmanship you are paying for. I don't see that much of either put into most $25-$35 drops, even with on/offs, and I like using drop forwards.
I agree with you 100% on the pricing argument.
caplucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
terrible speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by caplucky
Duh, they have those two little threaded holes to screw the asa into, that's why. You think threads come cheap, sheet no. And don't start me on the taps they must have to use.
I'd almost give you credit for that sarcastic argument it the guns that you can buy for 20-25 dollars didn't already come with ASAs maybe even a duckbill. Were talking a fully functional paintball gun cheaper than a mass produced piece of metal. Stupid stupid hype.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
It's capatalism at it's best. Drops cost $40.00 because they go on guns that can cost $1000.00.

As someone who has made his own drops in the past, there is quite a bit more engineering to go into one than just "a bent piece of metal with 4 holes in it." I'll pay a couple bucks at least for the part that's holding the 4500 PSI bomb securely on my marker.

Granted, there isn't all that much cost in materials, but you have to pay the salary of all the spokes-models too.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
I am not a macodomy!!

I can understand the cost of a 1 or 2 man operation scratch building drops or etc. But the large companies cranking them out at $40 a pop don't care or need to lower the price because they sell great at $40. It's not just the drops for me, I hate the whole clothes market, come on $120 for pants!!!! $40 for gloves and before Christmas I got myself and both sons Steelers jerseys by Rebok and all 3 cost just a bit more than a brand new 06 paintball jersey. Sorry about shanghaing your rant.
Anything I find to be to pricey I just buy used for cheaper or I don't get it, got all my drops of Ebay or used at the shop for about half of retail.
caplucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

A local paintball store has Empire paintball gloves for $60 ! There's a Russ Haye's bicycle shop just down the street from them which sells far superior downhill mountain biking gloves for $25. I understand why paintball companies charge what they do for equipment just because it's for paintball (because they can). But why do players pay for it ? Who pays $60 for gloves ? For any type of gloves. If I'm going to pay $60 for gloves, they better give me special powers or something.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Back to paintball.

Send a message via AIM to Ir0nExpress

I think the thing is, even though the prices for a drop forward are ridiculous, people still buy them at that price, therefore there is no need to lower it.

If we could force a ban on drop forwards for a few months, then maybe you can do it.

I usually went for those 32 degree drop forwards on ebay for like 15, the ASA on it sucks, so usually I just replace that anyway. I don't care for the fancy flame drop milling on it, I like mine simple.

The paintball economy runs on the demand quite a lot.
Ir0nExpress is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone