mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #41 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Moby Send a message via Skype™ to Moby

Underboring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I get the whole technical explanation - those factors really aren't that important to me, I guess, maybe because I play infrequently these days.

Efficiency is a moot point - all day air, bulk air tanks, etc, leave me wondering why bother with underboring. As far as worrying about "sealing" the ball to the barrel - I've had better accuracy with overboring than underboring.

I avoid closed bolt markers for these very reasons.
Jordan, I agree with you on efficiency. I'm not that concerned unless I play an outlaw game and we've got no air at the field. Other than that, the accuracy/consistency part is key.

Now, I can't say I've proven underboring works for me w/ my setup but I haven't tested it extensively. However, I do size my paint for the day and by the case and I truly believe in rifled barrels (Hammerhead) and the muzzle to eliminate turbulent air as the ball leaves the barrels. I personally feel that "overboring" would lead to less consistent flight of the ball and easily slower ball speed out of the barrel. But that's just me. Everyone has their preference.

I'm a big believer in sizing paint properly and I do believe in rifling.

The ideal Connecticut woodsball field!

Moby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #42 (permalink)
MCB Member

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby View Post
I personally feel that "overboring" would lead to less consistent flight of the ball and easily slower ball speed out of the barrel. But that's just me. Everyone has their preference.
Interesting - my testing actually showed me the opposite. I had better consistency and higher velocity (over an average test-group of about 50 shots) with an overbore on my Nelson-based pump... however, if I didn't shoot on a slight incline, I had terrible rollouts. I don't remember the exact sizes, but I would guess an easy .010 overbore at least - the paint was that small.

But like I said, that's why I avoid closed-bolt guns.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #44 (permalink)
MCB Member

Palmers Fan

And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

Old 04-18-2011, 03:35 AM   #45 (permalink)
batteries not required

CCM Fan
Quote:
Not directed at CJ, just happened to be the last post with content pertaining to my question.

What are you guys shooting that requires such an underbore? I understand why CJ does it, but the majority of guns out there these days are open-bolt electros. There are still some that use pumpguns, I guess, but most are not, from what I've seen at the fields.

And why do you care about paintsize vs. barrel bore?
Simple, because people do use close-bolt markers and don't want roll outs. . I'm not going to shoot my marker in an incline all day.

Because the majority of markers at your field run electros doesn't mean CJ is the only player that needs to underbore; just look at the pump section and amount of autocockers showing up on the mech section in the BST
uNrattedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:45 AM   #46 (permalink)
MCB Member

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by uNrattedd View Post
Simple, because people do use close-bolt markers and don't want roll outs. . I'm not going to shoot my marker in an incline all day.

Because the majority of markers at your field run electros doesn't mean CJ is the only player that needs to underbore; just look at the pump section and amount of autocockers showing up on the mech section in the BST
I didn't think I needed to write everything down - obviously I understand that (and I thought I implied it well enough) closed bolt markers need a paintmatch.

The majority of what I've seen used is open bolt - so I don't understand why a paintmatch is needed, unless it's just to be "trendy".

Old 04-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #47 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
I didn't think I needed to write everything down - obviously I understand that (and I thought I implied it well enough) closed bolt markers need a paintmatch.

The majority of what I've seen used is open bolt - so I don't understand why a paintmatch is needed, unless it's just to be "trendy".

Players want to get as many shots out of their tank as they can and using a barrel with a smaller ID than the diameter of the paint will allow them to get more shots per tank.
jdlarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjottawa View Post
I saw overbore and match bore but not a lot of severe underbore.
Would you consider doing some more testing with some of the smaller inserts available? (0.675 insert on 0.680 paint)
the underbore battle royal has that data -

PunkWorks Paintball - The Science Side of Paintball -
Cockerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #49 (permalink)
MCB Member

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlarson11 View Post
Players want to get as many shots out of their tank as they can and using a barrel with a smaller ID than the diameter of the paint will allow them to get more shots per tank.
I'm fairly confident that this thread has strayed from the OP's original intent - so I'll shut up after this.

Again, I get that - I just don't understand it, as I mentioned in a previous post. Efficiency doesn't matter, except for bragging rights - with the advent of bulk HPA tanks and all-day air, unless you're playing in the middle of nowhere and only own one tank for some reason, why care about efficiency?

I'm simply addressing this post as it seems to be directed at me, as indicated by the quoted text.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:39 PM   #50 (permalink)
batteries not required

CCM Fan
Quote:

I understand what you implied, but you fail to understand the point I was making. Just because at your local field majority of the players shoot open-bolt markers doesn't mean it applies to the paintball community as a whole. There are more than just a few players who shoot closed-bolt markers... thus why people are concerned for bore to paint match.

Quote:
I'm fairly confident that this thread has strayed from the OP's original intent - so I'll shut up after this.

Again, I get that - I just don't understand it, as I mentioned in a previous post. Efficiency doesn't matter, except for bragging rights - with the advent of bulk HPA tanks and all-day air, unless you're playing in the middle of nowhere and only own one tank for some reason, why care about efficiency?

I'm simply addressing this post as it seems to be directed at me, as indicated by the quoted text.
And efficiency does matter... there are more than one side to paintball. air efficiency matters quite a bit to some outlaw fields as air supply is limited with fill stations; as well as pump players who like to run their 13ci tanks (just as you have stated). It doesn't make a huge difference but it matters to some people and it's not fair that one person's opinion or experience should be reflected in everyone else

anyways I've added enough to this off-track topic.
uNrattedd is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone