mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-13-2011, 05:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Stock Class Playa

Does playing paintball with a pump make you better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7xGAyJZKxo

I came across this video while looking for pump videos. Doesn't working and training on a skill make you a better at it? I say pump does make you better in terms of using skill.

You snap shoot more, move aggressively, choose your shots carefully, and you have to be cautious on how many shots and air you have left especially if you play pure stock class.

Using a 50 rnd hopper on an Ego isn't the same as using one on a pump b/c their is no pumping action on an Ego.

Last edited by Mirad; 04-13-2011 at 05:47 AM.
Mirad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirad View Post
Using a 50 rnd hopper on an Ego isn't the same as using one on a pump b/c their is no pumping action on an Ego.
i find nothing wrong with what mike said. a pump gun isn't a magical device. it's just a gun lacking the advantages of an electropneumatic so you have no choice but to focus on using your skills for once. if you give yourself a handicap to only one-ball during a game, you would be doing the same thing. he basically just said one thing a couple times over the course of 4 minutes.

it's the exercise on the normally unused skills that pump play allows to rise to the surface that can make you better. just buying a pump gun isn't going to make you better, playing with one will.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Merc

Send a message via AIM to JOESPUD27

Playing more often makes you better. If you play more often and throw in a pump where it makes you THINK more about your shots and movement, those skills translate well to semi play. Just playing pump will not make you a "one ball" king. Play paintball, have fun.

Jay

Live or play near Metro STL? Organizing monthly pump meetups at the many different fields near STL. Check out "STL Pump Group" on Facebook for more info.

Best Field in STL
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
08sdekim

Brass N Wood Fan
Well I don't know how much a dropout phantom will help your ego skills. The basic things like thinking on your feat and movement will get a little boost regardless but I don't think using a completely different gun will help your abilities with another. If you want to get better at "gunfighting" you should be practicing with the gun you are trying to improve on. I say put the pocket hopper on the ego and limit the bps if you want to improve. If you just want to play pump then use a pump gun.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
Playing pump or limited paint teaches you a DIFFERENT set of skills. I still maintain after 20+ years of play that pump users and ramping users of the SAME SKILL LEVEL will result in pump users being shot out.

Each type of play is valid, has it's place, and is fun. Years ago, my buddy Wayne started telling people who asked "what can I buy to be a better player?" the same thing every time. He'd say, "Paint. Just buy some paint and play as often as you can." Sound advice.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
For the most part I agree with Robertsr.

The skills are a little different and experience is the best way to improve your game.

Pump player vs electro player yes the electro player has a huge advantage and at equal skill levels will most of the time win. Give them both the same gear, maybe a mech semi that neither has touched before. I think it would be very interesting to watch. I think many of the skills you work on playing pump are universal to paintball and can help you become a better semi/electro player (Communication and snapshooting for example).

Bottom line is in my mind if you want to improve your game no matter what you play with challenge yourself. Do what ever it takes to make the game hard. If it's easy your not improving.
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.

Last edited by Greenmtnphantom; 04-13-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tigerstyle

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
No, playing paintball makes you a better player.

Sure with a pump you gotta move a little more, and conserve paint/air. Playing pump makes you a better pump player for sure, but a better player in general? Thats silly.
"Conformities are called for much more eagerly today than yesterday... skeptics, liberals, individuals with a taste for private life and their own inner standards of behavior, are objects of fear and derision and targets of persecution for either side... in the great ideological wars of our time."- Isaiah Berlin

"Freedom is not something that can be given. Freedom is something people take, and people are as free as they want to be."- James Baldwin
Ramous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

My thoughts are the more fields, formats, gun types (electro, mech, pump, stock) you play the better you will be.

Play the same games, with the same people, using the same equipment everytime and you will remain the same.
jdlarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Look at me I'm on a Boat!

I have played a ton of airball games with a pistol and even more woodsball/sceanrio games. On the airball field I shoot only 4 or 5 shots and take at least two people with me. On a woodsball game I average 1.5 people per 8 shot clip. In scenario I average 1.2 people per clip. Granted in half to woodsball games I survive to the end and scenario is its own world. When I go to my A5 or BTERC I play some what the same style in respected plays. I am just more op to stay in a firefight and not back out and run around the backside. I try to ambush or backside people with the pistol.

However, I do tend to rush in with pistols blazing in fire fight but that is a tactic that a team member(s) slip to the side while my enemy focuses on the fat guy yelling and runing their way.

Plus I cant tell you how funny the agglets yell and scream when being shot out by a pistol in an airball game by those "pro" players. I still remember the UofD team me and some walkons played and I shot 4 of the 7 man team out. they won but for two months they claimed I cheated at that game. Ahh memories

"If it ain't broke, don't lend it." - Red Green

Last edited by ogre45; 04-13-2011 at 09:33 AM.
ogre45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
O.G. in O.D.

CCM Fan
Playing with a pump will not make you a better player. Playing more often, with and against better players will make you better if you are able to incorporate the lessons that are all around you. Paintball is a thinking person's sport. Pay attention to the experienced players...how they conduct themselves and how they approach different on field problems. Make sure you really understand who the experienced players are...they won't be the guys barking orders prior to the game starting, they won't be the guys milling around in the staging area admiring each other's gear. They will be the quiet ones who are cleaning their markers at each break, who laugh and seem to be having fun no matter if they win or not...pay attention to those guys...you could learn alot.

Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone