mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Transporting markers on a plane (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/161587-transporting-markers-plane.html)

Jasonstiller 05-11-2011 06:49 PM

Transporting markers on a plane

hey guys are there any rules against this? should I disassemble my scenario 98C before I put it in luggage? empty the compressed air tank i know, or is it easier to just use a rental? :bang:

tomdabmb 05-11-2011 06:50 PM

look at techpb youtube channel i think he did something on this

desertT1 05-11-2011 06:52 PM

The reg will have to be off of the tank.

pedro13 05-11-2011 06:55 PM

You can only transport the marker in the checked-in luggage and declare it everywhere. When I was bringing mine, they've put a "Firearm inside" sticker on my luggage and at every checkpoint they wanted to look and xray it. Otherwise there was no problem.

As for the tank, I've heard that you have to disassemble it, emptying might not be enough, so you might be better off using a borrowed tank.

Fubarius 05-11-2011 07:11 PM

The tank has to have the reg/valve removed for two reason. One, you got a big pressure change while flying, last thing they need is you blowing a burst disk at 30,000 feet. Taking the valve off guarantees that the tank has no pressure in it. Though the the main reason is so they can look inside of it. An air tank a very spacious, air tight, x-ray proof container. They're going to want to look inside of that puppy, just to make sure you're not sneaking anything that you're not supposed to onto the plain.

BLachance75 05-11-2011 09:49 PM

The reason the valve has to be removed is so everybody knows that the tank is empty. If the valve is on it is assumed there is air in the tank thus making is illegal to transport. Tanks are also not X-ray proof, X-rays will penetrate cf, steel and co2 tanks.

As far as having to declare paintball markers is completely false. You only have to declare firearms and paintball markers are not firearms.

Stilgar 05-11-2011 09:57 PM

^ Maybe in the states...In Canada BOTH Air Canada and WestJet require you to declare them when you check in.

They will then look at you like you just told them you are an alien from outer space here to mate with them...

After that they will send you to get the luggage scanned at which point the guys scanning the bags will go "cool" Then you don't have to worry until you pick it up again on the other end.

You cannot however transport compressed air/CO2 so either borrow a tank on the other end OR as others have said, remove the reg...

Also. OP mentioned you have a Scenario marker. To make your life easier, if you can disassemble it so it does not immediately look like a rifle, that makes the process easier because the check in staff don't freak out as bad.

Lomarandil 05-12-2011 12:36 AM

We always found it easiest to ship tanks ahead to the field or a friend.

Lo

Fubarius 05-12-2011 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancecst (Post 1827876)
The reason the valve has to be removed is so everybody knows that the tank is empty. If the valve is on it is assumed there is air in the tank thus making is illegal to transport. Tanks are also not X-ray proof, X-rays will penetrate cf, steel and co2 tanks.

As far as having to declare paintball markers is completely false. You only have to declare firearms and paintball markers are not firearms.

Just going by what the nice lady at the check-in told me in Pittsburg, plus...
TSA: Compressed Gas Cylinders
Quote:

Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside.

Our Security Officers will NOT remove the seal or regulator valve from the cylinder at the checkpoint. If the cylinder is sealed (i.e. the regulator valve is still attached), the cylinder is prohibited and not permitted through the security checkpoint, regardless of the reading on the pressure gauge indicator. Our Security Officers must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.

ta2maki 05-12-2011 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fubarius (Post 1827679)
One, you got a big pressure change while flying, last thing they need is you blowing a burst disk at 30,000 feet.

Ok, that's funny. Even if the plane flew in the vacuum of space, you are looking at a pressure difference of about 14.7 psi. That isn't that big of a pressure change. Sure that's a lot for people, but not so much for a tank that holds 1000+psi.