mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-23-2011, 01:30 AM   #21 (permalink)
drg
Banned

As said on the other forum, a pump is a gun with a pumplike structure that you operate to fire the gun. The simple definition of "pump" is extremely broad, and includes pump mags, PA pumps, mQ pumps, and this proposed design.

The specific rules regarding different pump classes as far as competition, that's another discussion. So you need to define exactly what you are trying to satisfy in asking the question...
drg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
Karōshi

For me, the definition only matters in open class tournament play. For that, I would be perfectly fine if a pump had a minimum length of .680" pump stroke, unassisted, with a full stroke (both directions) required before a paintball can be successfully fired.
mxmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #23 (permalink)
Blue - Red

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pif View Post
Who cares what started pump, and what the definitions were then?
I care OKAY?!?! I CARE!!!!

/bitter weeping.

I was only trying to put this as a starting point to the conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmtl View Post
For me, the definition only matters in open class tournament play. For that, I would be perfectly fine if a pump had a minimum length of .680" pump stroke, unassisted, with a full stroke (both directions) required before a paintball can be successfully fired.
So, by this definition, I could hook a pump handle up to any semi and, via blue tooth and software changes, force the marker to not be able to fire until I moved an unloaded, unsprung, very low friction pump handle .680 back and forth. THIS would be a pump?

At this point you are not 'recocking' the marker, not chambering a ball, or using the pump for anything meaningful other than as a temporary safety. Seems, to me, like this is not in the spirit of pump play at all.

Plus, I would wager the ROF that this marker would achieve would be much higher and more stable than most pumps.

TF

TF's MCB Trust.

Last edited by Talfuchre; 05-24-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Talfuchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
Karōshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
So, by this definition, I could hook a pump handle up to any semi and, via blue tooth and software changes, force the marker to not be able to fire until I moved an unloaded, unsprung, very low friction pump handle .680 back and forth. THIS would be a pump?

At this point you are not 'recocking' the marker, not chambering a ball, or using the pump for anything meaningful other than as a temporary safety. Seems, to me, like this is not in the spirit of pump play at all.

Plus, I would wager the ROF that this marker would achieve would be much higher and more stable than most pumps.

TF
Good point. The setup you describe above is something I would place in the pneumatic assist category. Maybe this would be better:

a. Two way pump stroke, with minimum of .680" in each direction

b. Unassisted (spring return only, single direction)

c. Full pump stroke required to successfully fire a paintball

d. Physical linkage between pump handle and paintball chambering mechanism such that a full pump stroke is required to chamber a round and bring it to ready firing position

I hope the English is good. My degree is in engineering, not law.
mxmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #25 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
One of my Rainmakers has a glitch that only allows it to fire about every 2 seconds. Shoot, keep hitting the trigger, and about 2 seconds later it'll fire again.

Should I hook a pump handle up to it?

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
TANSTAAFL

CCM Fan
One action must be made to make the gun ready to fire, a second action must be made to make the gun fire. If the gun is assisted (i.e. pneumatically) or has a pump stroke less than .68 inches, then it must not have an auto trigger function. Any gun that MAr carries is considered a pump regardless of operation, since that's what he'll use it for anyway.
"WHY is that guy licking Criticals pants?"
My Feedback
Critical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical View Post
One action must be made to make the gun ready to fire, a second action must be made to make the gun fire. If the gun is assisted (i.e. pneumatically) or has a pump stroke less than .68 inches, then it must not have an auto trigger function.
I'm down with this for rec play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtCow View Post
One of my Rainmakers has a glitch that only allows it to fire about every 2 seconds. Shoot, keep hitting the trigger, and about 2 seconds later it'll fire again.
I wouldn't mind this either
the_chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #28 (permalink)
FRONT Towards Enemy

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Critical, you've just been sig-quoted

The way I see it, in order to define a class of paintball gun, you must strip it down to the bare bones of what makes it that class. With stock-class, there have been so many different takes on the definition (no auto-trigger, feed limit, number of turns required to change 12grams, etc.), but in the end, what has held up is a pump paintball marker, fed by a tube horizontally placed on the marker, powered by 12 grams. Now, with open-class pump markers, the only restriction I can see that truely defines one is having to cock the marker such that only one ball can be fired per .7 (+) of an inch cocking "cycle".

just my .02

Duncan
DunXWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #29 (permalink)
Blue - Red

CCM Fan
I am down with ANY marker (for the most part) for rec play.

I just can't see PA pumps as pumps. They are essentially an autococker with a pumpesque item to toggle the three way. You could simply make this into another trigger - hang it from the barrel - turn the three way around - and have some double triggered autococker - but it is NOT a pump.

It has not moved .680 - nor is the pump chambering or allowing the chambering of the ball.

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Talfuchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:46 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Would a pneumatic assist pump be ok if the assist requires you to pump the gun say .700" ?
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone