mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   real benefits to old school style paintball gun designs? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/170217-real-benefits-old-school-style-paintball-gun-designs.html)

heinous 07-26-2011 12:58 AM

real benefits to old school style paintball gun designs?

this is going to be a very noob question.

lots of these have been on sale and bought at high prices here, as well as custom made for even higher prices. most can be seen as cool. what are the technological benefits of the following over the otherwise? what about disadvantages?

brass.
wood stock.
pirate stock.

all i know is coolness and weight.

pk5 07-26-2011 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heinous (Post 1933689)
this is going to be a very noob question.

lots of these have been on sale and bought at high prices here, as well as custom made for even higher prices. most can be seen as cool. what are the technological benefits of the following over the otherwise? what about disadvantages?

brass.
wood stock.
pirate stock.

all i know is coolness and weight.

Disadvantage:
Smoothness

A sheridan clone is still a sheridan clone, I haven't touch one that can rival a CCM in smoothness yet.

Advantage:,
I can probably sell back the gun for what i paid for it.

Fubarius 07-26-2011 01:02 AM

What's the technological advantage of a 57 Chevy? Or of hot rodding a flat head Ford? Why does hand made furniture cost more than stuff from IKEA?

heinous 07-26-2011 01:08 AM

so the answer is basically... none?

i mean i also heard brass has less friction so pump guns get more efficiency, but what about a pirate stock?

why did the pirates start using them over other style handles?

Fubarius 07-26-2011 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heinous (Post 1933710)
why did the pirates start using them over other style handles?

Ah. If I'm not mistaken it's because the first pistols really were cut down rifles. There were no other pistol grips at the time.

Amsterdam 07-26-2011 01:12 AM

it was shorter then a full stock. mobile. plus guns of the time only had wooden handles, and they werent making 45's. now its more for show, and the fact that it is so cool

MaD 07-26-2011 01:23 AM

Simplicity and reliability might be a couple "advantages". Outside of that I think it's pretty well known that MCB has basically caused an inflated market for brass and wood.

ApoC_101 07-26-2011 01:34 AM

simple, brass and wood hold more "magic" than newer more advanced materials like aluminum alloys and silly space plastics. damascus blade steel might be even better, but I haven't seen it done yet. also, magic crystals and raw minerals have yet to catch on, but it's only a matter of time.

TheCount 07-26-2011 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApoC_101 (Post 1933739)
simple, brass and wood hold more "magic" than newer more advanced materials like aluminum alloys and silly space plastics. damascus blade steel might be even better, but I haven't seen it done yet. also, magic crystals and raw minerals have yet to catch on, but it's only a matter of time.

A Nelspot made entirely of adamantium crystals and coated in supercooled helium-4?

mikeds80 07-26-2011 01:40 AM

Well I don't need to take out a cocking rod every time I adjust the FPS with my sheridan's RVA. The grip is also pretty comfy and two brass pipes soldered together are smaller than any sniper/ cocker I've seen.