mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 05:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
pump snob

Video killed the radio star

Video killed the radio star

Premise: The more I know about paintball, the less I like it. Don't get me wrong - I love the game at its most basic level - but the drama that seems so pervasive as one gets deeper into game seems so completely absurd. I've seen unnecessary drama kill friendships, teams, events, fields, and forums. I recently read that one of the basic motivators in our lives is to feel important or to belong - and while I don't want to get into the psychoanalysis of the average paintball player I must confess there are underlying motivators as to why some people feel compelled to constantly bring drama into situations there it simply has no place.

I bring this thought to the wise folks of MCB for open discussion with a few questions..

Do you agree or disagree with the premise?

What can we do as a subculture to moderate the impact of the drama?

Would radio be better?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As illustration: Last week I sat in on a board meeting with our local community baseball league - that locally represents 600 kids, 1000 parents, 30 sponsors and has existed for 15 years. If the discussions in that meeting were public baseball in our community would cease to exist. The fires would simply burn forever, get picked up by the local paper, local TV etc...So the powers that be are wise enough to keep said discussions behind closed (and locked) doors - not to make themselves feel important, but to protect the game from itself.

Last edited by thumper; 08-26-2011 at 05:23 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

private group, stop inviting the drama queens would be the only solution i see. paintball has this benefit. you can't really get a group of weekend baseballers...
Old 08-26-2011, 07:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
private group, stop inviting the drama queens would be the only solution i see. .
^ agreed.. this solves the drama issue at the very local level for those with the luxury of having access to private fields or commercial fields that provide for private groups .. but how many fields can you list that you avoid because the issue goes unchecked .. or the field owner is unwilling to cut the troublemaker(s) for the sake of the almighty dollar or doesn't have the staff to offer private groups as an option.

((( edit: heinous - you also hit on my point.. to me "radio" is better at the moment. small, private is better atm IMO. I just hate to think that small, private is the final answer to the drama question))

Last edited by thumper; 08-26-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
ophthalmotropic

CCM Fan
Those that feel surrounded by drama are most likely causing it for themselves. Solution is to stop whining and just play. Treat others fairly and try not to extort money and gain power over others. If there is someone causing problems discuss it with them, then if that doesn't work take it to the team captain, field owner, etc and if they're unwilling to deal with it take your time and money elsewhere.

Problem solved. I'll send you the consulting bill.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace View Post
Those that feel surrounded by drama are most likely causing it for themselves.
Couldn't have said it any better Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokers
I play pump because I'm a masochistic bastard who gets his jollies from being outgunned but not outplayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoder916 View Post
It's easy for people to think they are an all knowing pump player when your behind a keyboard. And nobody wants to be politically incorrect when giving advice on the forums, for everyone to criticize and judge, So I think the individuals speak with a little more pride than usual, because they want their peers to respect there opinion(s). I love playing pump, And if your pumping before you shoot, I don't give a **** whats in your hand, your family.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Mad Russian

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace View Post
Those that feel surrounded by drama are most likely causing it for themselves.
Yeah, I haven't had drama in my life since high school.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cobra Paintball Fanatic

Palmers Fan
I think it boils down to all of the preachy wuss talk about tolerance that we've gotten over the last several decades. Not saying that tolerance in itself is bad, but I think we as a society have taken it too far, we've gotten to the point where as a society we lost the ability to scorn, or at least scorn someone publicly.

Lets face it, there are plenty of people out there that deserve our scorn but for some reason in the last half century society has gravitated to a 'hold your tongue' stance instead of a 'publicly scorn that idiot'.
Its like those hidden camera shows where they set up a despicable situation with actors and watch all the people who try to ignore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cameron View Post
Anyone who thinks they can out-birddog a birdog, regardless of weather conditions, is just stupid.
My Feedback
Old 08-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Actually I think there is more drama in private groups. Groups of strangers tend to at least act cordially towards each other, for the most part. Private groups, where the players know each other outside of paintball tend to bring other things to the table that may be the underlying cause of problems at the field.

Be blunt with people you know that are causing the drama. Let them know that no one wants the drama at the field and if they can't just come out and have fun without the drama, they should stay home.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Not a Squatch...

Send a message via AIM to Timber_Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
I think it boils down to all of the preachy wuss talk about tolerance that we've gotten over the last several decades. Not saying that tolerance in itself is bad, but I think we as a society have taken it too far, we've gotten to the point where as a society we lost the ability to scorn, or at least scorn someone publicly.

Lets face it, there are plenty of people out there that deserve our scorn but for some reason in the last half century society has gravitated to a 'hold your tongue' stance instead of a 'publicly scorn that idiot'.
Its like those hidden camera shows where they set up a despicable situation with actors and watch all the people who try to ignore it.
I've been saying the same thing for years. And if you do scorn, usually you get scorned for scorning.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cobra Paintball Fanatic

Palmers Fan
Scorn, they're doing it wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cameron View Post
Anyone who thinks they can out-birddog a birdog, regardless of weather conditions, is just stupid.
My Feedback
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone