mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #141 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

1. You cannot separate the ideas of “surrenders working” and “surrender rules”.

If all surrenders worked, there would be no problem with the surrender rule. Seems like an obvious statement.

How many people here complaining about surrender rules have sworn off trying to surrender people? Implicitly, that means the surrender rule doesn't work because surrenders don't work. For them.

Sorry. Surrenders work. You're DOING IT WRONG

The people who practice it as a skill know this. If you don't practice it, why don't you practice it?

Oh, you don't like getting shot.

2. If people think that getting shot is part of the game and then complain about getting shot while trying to surrender someone, that's called hypocrisy.

I don't know how much clearer I can make that.

This is inexplicable for a group of experienced players.

I don't particularly support the surrender rule myself, but it's not enough to be right for the wrong reasons.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #142 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
The problem is making it a rule doesn't make people actually follow it. And it never will.
well said. its up to owner or person in charge of ref to make them enforce the rule if there not following or high people that are will to do the job right.
chrislognshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #143 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

I am reading a lot of variants of "OMG I just HAD to. Anyone would have" to excuse questionable behavior

No, you did not have to. Its paintball not life and death. If you show a bit of restraint and are eliminated because of it you get to play next game.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #144 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have a question, How many of you can judge to the inch what 10', or 15', or what ever the required distance is? I sure can't and I would be willing to bet a nice hunk of brass that none of you could either.
My point is, how do you know if the person calling for the surrender is just outside the range or just inside it? I once had a guy call for me to surrender when he was about 20 yards away. I simply flopped to the ground and crawled away in the tall grass. Should I have had to surrender because he thought he was close enough? He obviously wasn't if I was able to crawl away without being shot.
When I ref I instruct everyone to ask people to surrender but to have their guns locked and loaded, ready to shoot if the person does anything other than surrender. I inform them that there people that simply will not surrender. So be ready. Then I tell them that the surrender rule is a courtesy to keep them from being hurt so they should surrender because they will simply get in the next game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
You'll have a tough time finding a nicer group of people on the internet(even if our opinions all suck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalsilence View Post
I've dealt with canadians several times and I usually undercharge by 2-5 dollars cause I feel bad for them sometimes. Just my 2cents.

feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...k-big-jim.html
big jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #145 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jim View Post
I have a question, How many of you can judge to the inch what 10', or 15', or what ever the required distance is? I sure can't and I would be willing to bet a nice hunk of brass that none of you could either.
My point is, how do you know if the person calling for the surrender is just outside the range or just inside it? I once had a guy call for me to surrender when he was about 20 yards away. I simply flopped to the ground and crawled away in the tall grass. Should I have had to surrender because he thought he was close enough? He obviously wasn't if I was able to crawl away without being shot.
When I ref I instruct everyone to ask people to surrender but to have their guns locked and loaded, ready to shoot if the person does anything other than surrender. I inform them that there people that simply will not surrender. So be ready. Then I tell them that the surrender rule is a courtesy to keep them from being hurt so they should surrender because they will simply get in the next game.
not hard for me. since i use to pull lumber all day long and can tell you how far 10ft is. since use to pulling 10ft to 12ft and 9ft long lumber to cut for truss. all depends if you do jobs where you need to find lumber or measure things in that length.
chrislognshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #146 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
2. If people think that getting shot is part of the game and then complain about getting shot while trying to surrender someone, that's called hypocrisy.

I don't know how much clearer I can make that.

This is inexplicable for a group of experienced players.

I don't particularly support the surrender rule myself, but it's not enough to be right for the wrong reasons.
i think you're misinterpreting the argument. The problem is not to being shot, its being shot out when u shouldnt be.(e.g friendly fire) and in some cases, over shot.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #147 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
The problem is making it a rule doesn't make people actually follow it. And it never will.
Truth
"The world is like a ride at an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly colored and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: Is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey, don't worry, don't be afraid ever, because this is just a ride." And we ... kill those people." - William Melvin Hicks

newfangled feedback transporter link

Swoop body b2k4 Bushmaster for sale

Last edited by Kmak; 10-11-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Kmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #148 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jim View Post
When I ref I instruct everyone to ask people to surrender but to have their guns locked and loaded, ready to shoot if the person does anything other than surrender.
That's the same hybrid-style rule they had at AG paintball when it was open and that we had at my old field. I personally think it worked the best. Give the guy a chance to surrender, but if they do anything other than put their marker/hands up in the air, you're allowed to pop them.

That made the most sense to me. If it were a little kid, I'd surrender them. If it was some guy decked out in gear and using a high-end marker, I didn't expect to get a good response.

See, to me, it's a common sense matter. You don't bunker the 12-year old rental kid wearing a sweatshirt and some hand-me-down BDU pants. But the guy shooting ropes with his space gun and custom gear, yeah, I'm pretty sure he won't take offense to getting shot at close range.

I'll tell you this. I think the most important thing to do after bunkering someone is checking up on them after the game. Shoot someone that close and it's just polite to say "hey dude, sorry for the close-in shots, we cool?" Usually that goes a long way to prevent any misunderstandings or whatnot.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #149 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen702 View Post
See, to me, it's a common sense matter. You don't bunker the 12-year old rental kid wearing a sweatshirt and some hand-me-down BDU pants. .
This. I know its about impossible to write a rule for but the guys that play every weekend or are regulars generally do not ask for or receive mercy. The kid out there playing with his dad.... you do NOT HAVE TO bunker him. What if you don't and he eliminates you. You got eliminated and he got to be excited about it - big deal.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #150 (permalink)
We Didn't Listen!

I had some kid try to surrender me from 20' away, through a slat wood wall. He saw me run up by looking through the cracks and started yelling "surrender!" I just laughed.

That being said, I only ask people to surrender when I am at 1' or less and they can look down my barrel at the round I'm going to shoot him with. Or they are obviously new to the game and I'm pretty close. Again, I yell and dont stop yelling until they put thier hands up or turn on me. Shock and noise works for newer players when I don't want to shoot them.

I am not a fan of the x' rule, they cause people to second guess everyone's moves and cause unneeded distractions from the game and safety. We just need to be nice to each other sometimesand use common sense. Remember, the people on the field with you are your playmates, and we shouldnt try to break our playmates.
Rule #14: "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"
Bay kou bliye, pote mak sonje. (The giver of the blow forgets, the bearer of the scar remembers)
flyinggobbo is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone