mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-06-2011, 11:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dive Dive Dive

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Some fields have a surrender rule and for house style bunkers some will say all in that room are out some won't. I'm used to the rule of giving them the option to surrender. Which means be prepared to shoot when they turn on you.
It like the CCM version of Two Girls One Cup.
I will ban folks.... I swear.
TF

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
worrptangl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
DSL is new here

I've given up on surrender. Been burned too many times. Just blast em, try not to hit em more than 4 times, or twice if you're pumpin.

Gear Bag Sale!

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killedcookie View Post
I propose we make a brass guillotine.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
I just don't see how one person can surrender a room full of people.

You call a surrender to someone when you have a clear shot at them and they do not have at you. Kind of like a checkmate. You save them from being needlessly shot. There is no way you can do this by yourself against a room full of people.
I agree...how do you surrender a room full of people. Surrender has it's place, one does not have to accept "surrender", it is your job to have you marker up and if they turn, shoot.

What if they all fire back?
sniper97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Check with the refs ahead of time and ask if you can get them to watch a surrender move go down for you. Just like when you nerf a tank or building at a scenario, you have to have a referee watch. Maybe if the ref sees you rush the surrender-ees(spell check?), he'll call them out.

Just an idea...not sure how that would actually work in-game.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
What I've been doing lately, if I think things are going to get dodgy, is ask the ref ahead of time to ask the people to surrender. This hurts stealth slightly (assuming they even know where you're asking them to surrender from; you can also hand-signal the ref), but the tradeoff is if they refuse, then I've just been sanctioned to go in with guns blazing.
yeah, this is how i generally handle it. if you, the ref and the potential victim(s) are all on the same page before hand, it can really clear up any confusion in the aftermath.

In the instance of the video, i would have had a nearby ref tell the people in the house that i was gonna come stick them and they were free to surrender and leave. then give it a few seconds and start blasting.
beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Interesting discussion, seems most are in agreement that there is nothing wrong with surrender rules. I was personally always under the assumption that calling for a surrender at a sub-5 foot distance was the equivalent of taking the shot, so long as your barrel were pointed at the individuals involved. When its recball, I call myself out for people that manage to do that. I figure if you have no idea a guy is there and he is pointed right at you from so close a distance, he could simply just blast you. I find that the same people that turn on you though for surrender rules also tend to be the people who complain about being shot.

When I reffed a big game last year at a field I was doing events at, there was this one guy who would always find a way to complain. It was usually about being bunkered. At this particular field, calling for surrender was technically mandatory within 10 feet but rarely worked out in practice. It's hard to get players and referees to be on the same wavelength about it, and as someone mentioned, it varies from field to field. Maintaining player common sense/courtesy and a high level of competitive play simultaneously is difficult and I find not a lot of players can manage doing it.

I still had a great time at the game and aside from the guy that raged at me for being a cheater, everyone was pretty chill. Please feel free to add any other thoughts.
NSGSplatmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Really the only surrenders that work are the ones where you don't have to ask. I've had more luck simply clearing my throat, or one time actually winking at the other player, than screaming my head off. Non-verbally stating "I know I have the drop on you, you know I have the drop on you, so do I really need to shoot you?"

It's all about having a total tactical advantage. If you're running up on a room full of people you do NOT have total tactical advantage. The reality, no matter how good you are, or how fast you're shooting, the odds are you won't get them all before one returns fire on you. Since there's a question of the outcome, then there's no point in claiming total dominance by asking for surrender. Sit back at the minimum distance and pick them off one at a time or try to gain a more sure advantage.

Nunquam emere potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballa View Post
Check with the refs ahead of time and ask if you can get them to watch a surrender move go down for you. Just like when you nerf a tank or building at a scenario, you have to have a referee watch. Maybe if the ref sees you rush the surrender-ees(spell check?), he'll call them out.

Just an idea...not sure how that would actually work in-game.
You noticed what I do at Hurlbert I see
It works well enough for me it seems.

Feedback +25|-0
YouTube|flickr
shadow_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

"The reality, no matter how good you are, or how fast you're shooting, the odds are you won't get them all before one returns fire on you. Since there's a question of the outcome, then there's no point in claiming total dominance by asking for surrender. Sit back at the minimum distance and pick them off one at a time or try to gain a more sure advantage. "

Unfortunately, there's no way to proove this, but I am quick enough "on the draw" to clear a room in about 3 seconds when its through a window like that. This includes the target to target transitions. I've done it plenty of times before, its not difficult as long as you don't waste time "searching" for your targets. When people are stacked up in a room like that, you simply "slice the pie" while making a horizontal tracking motion. The time in between shots ("split time") should be within the fractions of a second. In this specific scenario, the team I was on was going to have to be reset in the imminent future. I was the head of a "squad" of guys who summarily dispatched of everyone immediately thereafter. The outcome is really irrelevant. I have the feeling this is somehow taking on some personal aspect like "You should/shouldnt have done whatever, stop complaining!" as opposed to the original intent of the thread.

Thanks for the input either way to everyone who has posted. I am always interested in exploring game mechanics as both a player and a referee.
NSGSplatmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I'm surprised nobody pointed out in the video that the kid that stuck his gun out was blindfiring. :P

It's hard to surrender when there's a room full of people. If I was in the room I'd try and get out of the way and hope you hit all but me.
I don't surrender others usually. I feel like I earned the shot, so I'll take it. Usually that's how I feel.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone