mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #71 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
Has anyone ever seen an 'unlimited' paint option? The catch being that the game is hopperball. You don't even charge a separate fee for paint, it's just rolled into the field fee. This might work best for private rental groups, since there are fewer equipment variables, but that way people aren't concerned about making a poor (Did I buy enough? Will I have to find a way to get rid of this case I have left over at the end of the day?) decision at the beginning of the day with potentially zero knowledge about the game.

I bet owners have a pretty good idea how many games can be done in a certain window of time with certain length breaks between games. This would take one less uncertainty off the minds of participants or organizers. Fill hoppers, play, take break, fill hoppers... til the time is over.
The problem I see with that scenario, is that after a game or two, players will realize that it's to their advantage to shoot off all, or just about all their paintballs because next intermission, their hopper gets refilled again. I could see the game turning into high volume paintball towards the end of each game, as players realize time is running out to use up all their paint.

Other than that, I like the idea of limited paint games in general. At our field, we do not have official limits (except that I don't let off duty staff take out pods when they are playing), but very few, even regular gear owners take out any extra pods. Probably at least half are playing stock class or limiting themselves with 50 round hoppers. But that is part of the culture that we as a field have developed and it's also what makes our field the most popular field around. In general, more people prefer to play in a lower volume atmosphere, and we as a business, take advantage of that knowledge.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #72 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
Is that per game? That's still a fair amount (a lot of abuse left in that amount).

Yes, per game. It's basically a paint on the field rule. I'd like to see it lowered to hopper only, which is how I usually play anyway (pump).
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #73 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
The problem I see with that scenario, is that after a game or two, players will realize that it's to their advantage to shoot off all, or just about all their paintballs because next intermission, their hopper gets refilled again. I could see the game turning into high volume paintball towards the end of each game, as players realize time is running out to use up all their paint.

Other than that, I like the idea of limited paint games in general. At our field, we do not have official limits (except that I don't let off duty staff take out pods when they are playing), but very few, even regular gear owners take out any extra pods. Probably at least half are playing stock class or limiting themselves with 50 round hoppers. But that is part of the culture that we as a field have developed and it's also what makes our field the most popular field around. In general, more people prefer to play in a lower volume atmosphere, and we as a business, take advantage of that knowledge.
But cut that thought too close and you are sitting on the sidelines after a short firefight.

With my private renegade games we play hopperball. I like it that way and so does everyone else. 50 ball hopper users can bring pod(s) if they'd like to get up to the 200 ball limit. I normally bring a 50 ball pod with me when I'm using a 50 ball hopper. I rarely use it, but have in the past when it was 1 on 1 and the other person was experienced enough to not empty their hopper trying to catch me snap shooting.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #74 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilD View Post
Yes, per game. It's basically a paint on the field rule. I'd like to see it lowered to hopper only, which is how I usually play anyway (pump).
Wow, that's a decent rule. I usually play electro/semi with two pods for two games (single field turn-around games). I double up in scenarios. Even with a pump I'll sometimes carry the paint just for the sheer agg-ravation I can generate with it. I never really considered what the aggsters were packing. I just use their ropes of paint to keep track of them. It would be nice to keep them off the renters.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #75 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
But cut that thought too close and you are sitting on the sidelines after a short firefight.
Yes, but most renters don't care whether they win or lose or get eliminated near the end of the game. They are going to want to get the most for their money, so they will quickly learn that they can be more liberal on the trigger as the game goes on and very liberal during the last 30 seconds or so. Then take a short break and do it all over again.

On the other hand, if you limit a certain amount of paintballs for the day, they quickly learn that they can't be blasting away like crazy because they won't have enough paintballs to last them the whole day. That's basically the philosophy we use at our field, except the limit is not a physical limit, it's limited due to the price of the paintballs. It's also why I always tell adults who are paying for their kids paint, they should tell their kids first thing how many paintballs they have available to them for the day, and when they are gone, they are gone and the day ends for them. If they don't do that, kids will blast them all off and then go running to the adult paying the bill that they need more paintballs.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #76 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by foughtwolf View Post
If any of that were even partly true, it would not be us here at MCB that are causing it. We all tend to go out of our way to ensure that the new players have a good day.

Bingo! when I play with newer players I limit myself. Pump gun, or limited paint or hopper ball, I let new players (I can trust) use my nicer stuff. I try and convert a new member to the church of pb every year. By conversion I mean they buy a marker and start their evolution into paintball.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #77 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Yes, but most renters don't care whether they win or lose or get eliminated near the end of the game. They are going to want to get the most for their money, so they will quickly learn that they can be more liberal on the trigger as the game goes on and very liberal during the last 30 seconds or so. Then take a short break and do it all over again.

On the other hand, if you limit a certain amount of paintballs for the day, they quickly learn that they can't be blasting away like crazy because they won't have enough paintballs to last them the whole day. That's basically the philosophy we use at our field, except the limit is not a physical limit, it's limited due to the price of the paintballs. It's also why I always tell adults who are paying for their kids paint, they should tell their kids first thing how many paintballs they have available to them for the day, and when they are gone, they are gone and the day ends for them. If they don't do that, kids will blast them all off and then go running to the adult paying the bill that they need more paintballs.
Fair enough. Just wondering if anyone had ever seen that going on and if you are designed on a low volume model, that low volume should apply to the total day and that will take care of the per game volume.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #78 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Fair enough. Just wondering if anyone had ever seen that going on and if you are designed on a low volume model, that low volume should apply to the total day and that will take care of the per game volume.
I started to say that even with Horizon warning the parents, and the parents warning the kids, it often doesn't stop them. But then, it would be nice to send those kids off anyway. Lot of money to shoo off there...
Old 02-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #79 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
I heard of a field in Washington State that was using this business model (paint included with field fees, but only one hopper per game). I don't know how it worked out, other than the field was gone a couple of years later when I made it out that way and wanted to check it out.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #80 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I started to say that even with Horizon warning the parents, and the parents warning the kids, it often doesn't stop them.
There is the odd kid that doesn't figure it out very well and runs out of paint earlier than he would like. But then again, budgeting is a life skill that everyone needs to learn. The kid sitting there watching his friends continue to play while he is out of paint, may be on his way to learning a valuable lesson.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone