mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #31 (permalink)
Merc

Send a message via AIM to JOESPUD27

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by spymongoose View Post
Anyhow, to each his own in walk on play.
Word

Jay

Best Field in STL
JOESPUD27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #32 (permalink)
Lord of Bones

I actually have quite a bit of trouble with either open class pump or semi pistol play. They just don't feel "right" to me. Stock class feels nice though. By all means to each his own though, you shoot what you like, that's the whole point of playing.
Myrkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #33 (permalink)
68 Cal Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
I actually have quite a bit of trouble with either open class pump or semi pistol play. They just don't feel "right" to me. Stock class feels nice though.
I agree. I haven't done much pistol play, but theres just something that 'feels' right about stock class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agglet View Post
Vampirism is no joke get tested.
spymongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:04 AM   #34 (permalink)

Used to play both all the time with a pgp, awesome little guns.

PeaTear_Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:13 AM   #35 (permalink)
Confirmed Agglet

CCM Fan
If you use 12 grams and feed with 12 rounders or a magazine who cared how fast you can fire.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
tomdabmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:30 AM   #36 (permalink)
68 Cal Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdabmb View Post
If you use 12 grams and feed with 12 rounders or a magazine who cared how fast you can fire.
Its that follow up shot, that second "ima gonna outgun" you shot that stock class rules go out of their way to try and prevent. Verb-age like "no autotriggering" "nothing keeping the balls in the stack from rolling away from the breech" and "nothing causing the balls to roll towards the breech" that classic stock class rules tried to prevent. Your average stock class gunner will either have to or just instinctually dip the muzzle in between shots, taking the marker off target. Part of that is the original intent of stock class play, the other part is just to ensure that the next ball is properly loaded.

A tpx can rock through clips till the powersource runs dry, and on a remote that could be a long time. Anyone with a tactical pistol background can do a good swift reload and probably not even have to think very hard about it.

I freaking love this: 1 Pistol Mag Beats Speedball Team of 5 POV COMMENTARY
That guy seems to follow the patient and methodical stock class school of thought, snapshooting, single balls when possible, more out of necessity on that speedball field due to a high volume of fire coming back at him. Speed, one shot accuracy, and the stealth that comes with *not* shooting a steady stream of paint were some of the key advantages this guy had. For the most part a pgp or nelspot could have done the same job, lending credence to the thought that the two philosophies are the same.

Put a semiauto pistol and a stock class marker on the field and the advantages are reversed. A semi pistol can stay out of the bunker longer, for several shots even, making the stock class player have to be a bit more careful about when and where to place a shot. The stock classer is less likely than the semi pistol player to try for a bunker shot or an overrun. The shared skills of the snapshot, one shot accuracy, and the stealth given to someone who isn't shooting much needs becomes more important to the stock class player. Its a non issue in a walk on play situation, but when there is money and prizes on the line then it becomes a real issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agglet View Post
Vampirism is no joke get tested.
spymongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #37 (permalink)
MCB Member

What about pump pistols?

The mentality between pistol and stock class or limited pump play is the same. Technological advances in open class pump (Yes, I actually said that) now place the style of play for a modern high end pump gun (CCM Guns, the new Empire Gun, any "deluxe" style Sniper II style gun with autotrigger, new Sterlings, etc) closer to a mechhanical semi-auto type of play. There ends up being less felt recoil but more jolt from the mass of the pump being operated so, in my opinion, it sort of turns into a wash.

The biggest benefit for pistols and open class pump is the follow up shot. If you have a gun running in on your buddy and you're playing stock class, you REALLY have no other recourse than to make that first shot count. If there is some other typical variable out of your control such as bad paint, weird weather, etc, you're generally **** out of luck. The follow up shots come in handy for bunkering people, "emergency situation" gunfighting, and preventing a runthrough. It's also frankly nice to stop someone. I frequently have the issue of playing with my Nelspot 007 where I hit someone once, I see it break, and they legitimately don't realize it from adrenaline or whatever. Sometimes they just keep running and blast you and you sort of go "...OK." With the pistol, you have a follow up shot, or three.

I think stock class and pistol have the closest relationship due to the need of movement. There are a limited set of circumstances where you are playing allright, but you frankly cannot play head on with the modern guns without another team of modern guns behind you (assuming teams are of approximate equal skill level). That's why recball is a great avenue for both pistol and pump, and why the snake is generally a great bunker on a speedball field. You are conciously using the benefits of the bunker to meet the benefits of the marker platform you are using. Because a lot of good kill shots from the snake do NOT take a lot of paint and having to battle a mirror in the snake rarely exceeds 30 feet, this is great for pump...but take the same setup (akimbo pistols included) and put it at a 40 standup, for example, and the angular advantage is gone. This emphasizes the inherent weakness of a pistol or stock class setup.
NSGSplatmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone