mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #131 (permalink)
Closer to home.....

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stygshore View Post
Doobie pointed these out on Facebook the other day and after reading a lot, im wondering if minimalist footwear could help me with my back problems over time. Well that and getting rid of this gut I have successfully nurtured over the last 20 years.

Mini-Mil™ Minimalistic Traning Boot
maybe... running style definitely will change as it forces you to run more on your toes as opposed to your heels. It's actually easier for your body to absorb the impact.

But, you could also get on the BigEvil and RUDZ diet plan and take pictures with them at TB7

My Feedback: Here on MCB BigEvilOnline Automags.org PaintBallNation
Zondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #132 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patar View Post
Anyone know a good minimalist shoe (hopefully multi-purpose, if not then for trails/hiking/paintball) for dudes with wide feet?

Or maybe a site/store I can check out that has a good selection?

I want to find a good shoe to run in and also use out in the woods, but the stores around here never really have a good selection when it comes to wider shoes.
I have wide to extra wide feet and I love my VFF. I wear the trekLS but I'm looking at the Spyridon for my next pair.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #133 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
I have wide to extra wide feet and I love my VFF. I wear the trekLS but I'm looking at the Spyridon for my next pair.
Spyridon's caught my interest too, I'm just worried about how my klutziness is going to play out in VFFs... I have an unhealthy habit of stubbing my toes on things, and sometimes it takes a turn for the worse and something gets twisted up. Is that even a legitimate concern? Even if I'll be playing ball out in the woods?

Other than the spyridon, the Vivobarefoot Neo Trail is looking like a pretty good choice too. Anyone have any experiences?

EDIT: appreciate the quick answer Deuce
Patar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #134 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
The problem I had wearing low top shoes while playing in the woods was I'd get a ton of crap inside my shoes.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #135 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Spyridon's caught my interest too, I'm just worried about how my klutziness is going to play out in VFFs... I have an unhealthy habit of stubbing my toes on things, and sometimes it takes a turn for the worse and something gets twisted up. Is that even a legitimate concern? Even if I'll be playing ball out in the woods?

Other than the spyridon, the Vivobarefoot Neo Trail is looking like a pretty good choice too. Anyone have any experiences?

I'm generally the same, it's due to not having enough feedback in my footwear. I find it's much less of an issue wearing VFF. The biggest issue I've encountered is they can act like a yard rake. They love to catch grass and leaves between the toes. Occasionally I have to stop to pull the junk out.

Also if you're not used to being barefoot you'll want to work into them slowly to let the muscles build up in your feet and lower legs to avoid injury from overuse of the unused muscles.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #136 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

already working on it I have some Nike shoes with some really simple soles, and from my experience, they're the closest thing I've had to minimalist shoes so far. I've been taking lots of walks and runs in them and I've played PB in them many times before and they don't feel like they restrict my natural foot movements. I used to land on my heels a lot when I was running with other shoes and with these I've noticed I run on my toes without thinking about it. Other than that I'm almost always barefoot at home and on the property!

Just figured it was time to get some shoes that complimented the whole barefoot thing
Old 12-10-2012, 01:39 AM   #137 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Quote:

Biggest thing you might want to watch for (though yes, increased feedback is GREAT) is catching your little toe on things like trees when you go by them. Never happened to me but I've heard of it...

If you want the thickest sole Vibram has the Trek LS (discontinued) and TrekSport is something like 9mm including insole.

If you want to try those Inov-8 I mentioned these are the 0 mm drop trail shoes as thin as Vibrams: Inov-8 Footwear BareGrip 200

They have zero drops with more cushion (Bare-X Lite 150) but also a barefoot flat one like the Vibrams too if you want to do some road stuff. (Bare-X 200) Inov-8 Footwear BareX 200

If you play on hard dirt as much as mud you might try the Trail Rocs I am using for the snow currently (Inov-8 Footwear Trailroc 245) or the Terraflys (Inov-8 Footwear Terrafly 303). Only thing that sucks is the GoreTex models have increased heel-toe differentials for no reason.

As far as "wide" feet...typically minimalist shoes are made with VERY wide toe boxes to accomodate the natural splay they will have when running mid/forefoot strike (midfoot is MUCH easier on your tendons/calves and lets the shoe do some shock absorption--met one fellow who eventually blew out his achilles cause only his toes ever touched the ground). The only people who might have trouble with some of the minimalist stuff are the ones who have trouble getting into anything but a 4E width...those of you who have collapsed arches (that are always collapsed, not just when you put weight on them).

Other brands for minimalist:
New Balance --> New Balance 1010...not as "minimal" as the Minimus, 4 mm drop. Minimus Trail might be more to your liking but less protection (but more ground-feel).
Saucony --> Hattori is flat, not ideal for slippery conditions...thin soled. Saucony Kinvara (Trail model) is 4mm drop. Saucony has, however, reduced many of their shoes to an 8mm (from the standard 10-12) drop, so you can get cushioning but make a midfoot strike easier.
Nike --> the Nike Free Run is an option, but is one of the thicker "minimalist" shoes. It flexes due to grooves...which get rocks between them. Don't recommend.
Brooks Pure(Connect, Cadence, Flow, Grit, Drift) --> PureGrit is the trail model. Fairly cushioned but from what I hear does a good job of shedding snow/mud from cleating.

That's just the top of my head, there are plenty more out there. birthdayshoes.com is a blog that discusses barefoot stuff and reviews minimalist footwear. I just read about a guy that did a 5 day race through a Brazilian rainforest in Spyridons (if I remember where correctly). Crazy.

Last edited by cdrinkh20; 12-10-2012 at 01:48 AM.
cdrinkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #138 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I tend to have the most issues with the width of the midfoot section of the soles of my shoes. Out of all the shoes i've owned, toe space has only been an issue maybe twice, the heel and ankle support is usually the easiest thing to address when buying. I'd just buy a larger size (I wear 12s, buy 13s for the extra space/width) and deal with it haha. But if I'm going to be getting something minimalist I'd try matching the size up perfectly to my foot.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll run over to a shoe shop in the next few days and see if I can sneak in some measurements. Some of these shoes are looking really appealing to me!

Last edited by Patar; 12-10-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #139 (permalink)
Man in Tights

You'll want a closer fit in Vibrams, but traditionally in a running shoe you want that extra space after your toes for swelling (either from repeated pounding of your feet or from them getting hot). You can always tie the upper tighter if you want.
cdrinkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #140 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via MSN to matt

I have used my Vibram's in a few games.
One airball match I was playing however, I slid on the top of my foot like you mentioned, pant leg came up, exposing some skin that was ripped up from the slide. Definitely did not feel very good.
matt is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone