mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #41 (permalink)
Herp Derp

I used the heck out of my first pair of KSO's woodsballing. They held up really well to sliding and whatnot. The only bit of damage I had was when I was running through some brush a twig tore a chunk out of the mesh on the top of them.

My only peeves with them were constantly getting copious quantities of flowers/pieces of grass/etc. caught between my toes, and KSO's did not provide very good traction in mud. I've got a pair of Komodos at the moment, saving up for the Spyridon's, look like they'll be perfect for paintball and hiking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jincay View Post
Some might find that a turn on, I cater to differing tastes by including a hot chic and a middle aged overweight guy in a mankini.
Gustav12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav12 View Post
I used the heck out of my first pair of KSO's woodsballing. They held up really well to sliding and whatnot. The only bit of damage I had was when I was running through some brush a twig tore a chunk out of the mesh on the top of them.

My only peeves with them were constantly getting copious quantities of flowers/pieces of grass/etc. caught between my toes, and KSO's did not provide very good traction in mud. I've got a pair of Komodos at the moment, saving up for the Spyridon's, look like they'll be perfect for paintball and hiking.
Yeah, you really do want a more aggressive tread pattern like the Treks or Treksports have, or the Spyridon's.

As to the grass, flowers, and such getting trapped, yeah, I have had that happen a time or two.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #43 (permalink)
Man in Tights

I can confirm the Spyridon traction somewhat...I did some running (including a steep hill of compact mud) but I injured something last week and don't want to push it just now. Hadn't build up my muscles enough I guess!
cdrinkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #44 (permalink)

I play in my kso treks when the weather is nice. Love the traction. Takes some time for your feet to strengthen up but worth it in the end.
Sleasys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #45 (permalink)
Closer to home.....

CCM Fan
Wow... I bought a pair because I used to love running barefoot on the track in high school. I bought a pair of KSOs and really like them. I wanted to start wearing them for runs and working out and started to wear them instead of flip-flops.

Took a bit of getting used to as far as picking out the ground type to wear them in. Really rocky soil with golfball size to softball size stones is not the place for KSOs. I did use them in the water instead of booties for my flippers. I imagine using them for canoeing, kayaking, surfing, and other water sports will be just as good. Just watch out for sand, as it can get in through the mesh top.

They do not provide much insulation from temperatures. I helped out at a flag football game in them on artificial turf and my feet were getting uncomfortably hot. I do not wear socks with them.

I want to start playing in them, so I'm glad this thread came out. Sounds like the Treks are the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrinkh20 View Post

Another question: for those of you that use your VFFs fairly regularly, how did you start working into them? I understand that running too much can cause a variety of injuries if your form is wrong, and have read running without them on can help you develop the best form (because your feet will feel the ground better and let you know when to stop for now, whereas the VFF soles protect you from this "warning").
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN1x3Ik1t5Y

My Feedback: Here on MCB BigEvilOnline Automags.org PaintBallNation

Last edited by Zondo; 04-21-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Zondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #46 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Thanks for the vid I actually have been focusing on forefoot striking, I've just been wondering (because of my clear need for orthotics this far) whether I have an abnormal gait that will prevent me from running in my Vibrams properly. I suspect, however, that my muscles just weren't ready for the sprinting I put them through so early and I tweaked something. (I talked to my friend's dad, he's high up in the "Running Room" -- said he'd done it a few times running in regular shoes, basically pulling the nerve away from something near the shin-bone. Any walking for the next week or so will be done in regular shoes, no running! Until I recover anyways!)

If you get to try them on first hand though, take a look at the Spyridons as opposed to the Treks. I'm not fully sure about the laces yet, and I wonder if the sewn in seams will start to rub but they didn't during a 50 minute walk.

Last edited by cdrinkh20; 04-23-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #47 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Further update...laces turned out to be all good, but the sewn-in insole causes some irritation on your toes :| I was in them for 3 hours and pretty sore by the end but mostly due to my fitness level/still working into Fivefingers.

Sorry I took so long, my dad invited me on his business trip to Japan after school finished!
Old 05-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #48 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to left handed

CCM Fan
Really? I found to dislike the laces and removable insole. Causes my foot to slide around in the newer VFFs. I still prefer my KSOs in fit and feel over any barefoot shoe.

left handed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #49 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
I have Speeds. Really comfy and they look like 80's shoes.
Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:09 AM   #50 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Quote:
Originally Posted by left handed View Post
Really? I found to dislike the laces and removable insole. Causes my foot to slide around in the newer VFFs. I still prefer my KSOs in fit and feel over any barefoot shoe.
I only get the sliding when my feet are really sweaty. Takes some time, usually!
As for irritation, I mean I was losing skin on toe joints on the bottom from rubbing. I'm sure my feet will toughen but still doesn't feel nice.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone