mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Helmet & Gun Camera Demo Video (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/204517-helmet-gun-camera-demo-video.html)

uv_halo 06-04-2012 06:24 PM

Helmet & Gun Camera Demo Video

Over the past year, I've been working on developing my own, custom gun camera / helmet camera setup as I've been entirely dissatisfied with all of the action cam footage in woodsball games. Largely that you see someone running around, shooting but rarely can you make out just what the target is.

I wanted something that can better capture my experiences in the woods. FreeEnterprise beat me to the punch in the basic concept but, I took an entirely different path to get where I'm at.

The basic setup is a custom bullet camera, with a Telephoto conversion lens attached, feeding a digital recording unit mounted to my stock, and a contour HD camera.

The following footage is from my first day out on the field and overall I wouldn't say the day was a success largely because I am entirely new to paintball videography. This particular match was the only match where I got both cameras recording for the entire match. Unfortunately, it wasn't in the woods but, it does show what I plan to do with the concept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03EGHalXISc
I recommend watching it in 720P HD fullscreen (720P) on youtube, with the volume up (accounting for my occasional yelling).

I would appreciate any feedback on the video and it's concept.

Presently the system is awaiting a new cable (jacked one up at LLV so, not much footage of interest there).

Where I plan on going with this in the future- Nice opening and closing sequences, a brief introduction to the match (i.e. 'elimination' with how many players, the park, etc) integrated captions (instead of youtube's).

Potential idea:
Best Match, Worst Match of the day videos. For a given day I could post both the best and worst match I had (some folks might find my fails as amusing as I do).

Curt 06-04-2012 08:17 PM

I like it, only thing that bugged me was the flap of your gillie suit. It keeps getting in front of the camera.

Kermit 06-04-2012 09:41 PM

I REALLY enjoyed watching that. The guncam really adds to the video in a good way. Great job UV!

Diomedes 06-04-2012 09:59 PM

That was awesome. I LOVE how you have the gun-cam pop up for the shots, but otherwise hide it. The only things I would change are to make sure the ghillie doesn't block the camera, and also edit it to cut out the downtime.

Also, that setup is freakin' cool.

GoatBoy 06-04-2012 10:25 PM

I agree; your costume made things very annoying to watch, but it seems like the system works quite well.

FreeEnterprise 06-04-2012 10:49 PM

NICE!

Some tricks I have learned in my year of playing with my ZoomCam, keep the gun/camera on the target way longer than you are used to. In paintball we have a tendency to shoot and quickly move to the next target. But, you want good footage, so you have to shoot, and WAIT for the paint to get there, AND for the guy to react to the hit... You really want to capture them raising their hand, as then the viewer at home knows they are out. It is totally against your normal thoughts but, it really makes a difference in your filming. And it will cause you to get eliminated at times...

I would sell the contour you have, and get the contour roam... The regular contours only have 130 degree field of view, and the contour roam in 720 has 170 degree field of view, which REALLY helps players see what is going on both beside you and around you. Course the roam doesn't have a removable battery, so you only get the single charge per day... I've filmed for hours before and haven't yet run out of batteries. But, I usually only play about 3-4 hours at a time, and with breaks, and dead zone, that is about 2 hours of recording.

I turn on my zoomcam first, always, and make sure it is recording... (yeah, if I hit record too quick, it doesn't record... I've missed some great games learning that trick). I also look at my viewfinder on my zoomcam before the game starts to make sure it is recording and also framed correctly.

I turn on my roam when the horn sounds to start the game.

On your reticle, I would diffuse it so it isn't solid, it is hard to see past. I use a large plus sign for mine, and then ghost it so you can see through it. Smaller is better.

Welcome to the fun of multicamera paintball filming/playing! It really adds a layer of difficulty to the game, but I REALLY enjoy the fun of capturing my kills on film.

I played Saturday, and am getting ready to upload the first game of the day, not much ZoomCam footage in it, as it was my first time at that field in years, but I got a few kills. It will be on my youtube channel for subscribers. I left it long because there were a ton of other players in the footage, and I figured they would like to see themselves on film.

DSA 06-04-2012 10:55 PM

Diggin the vid man! Very neat and will most assuredly add to this discussion in a good way. Tell us more about the lens, appears to be a fish eye due to the edge distortion but that's not bad by any means.

Justus 06-05-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSA (Post 2368148)
Tell us more about the lens, appears to be a fish eye due to the edge distortion but that's not bad by any means.

That's one of the big reasons I'm not switching out my ContourHD1080 for the Roam. Sure you might get an extra 35* viewing angle, but that just means even more fish-eye. Also, if you shoot in 1080p you can stabilize the video in editing and not lose 720p quality.

uv_halo 06-05-2012 02:32 PM

Thanks for all the feedback! :) In preparation for LL5, I actually have already adopted some changes that you guys hit on, so in those cases, thanks for confirming my suspicions!!

I trimmed the mask camo back a bit more and, I set the camera to record at 1080P 30FPS (110deg FOV) (I actually had it set it in software but, I forgot to flip the little switch). As for the reticle, it's a fun feature of the camera so, I can't do too much about it. I can turn it on, or off. Would it be better without it?

As for the setup, there are two different cameras. My POV camera is a ContourHD 1080P (accidentally left in 720P for this video), it's essentially stock except I've got a 30mm scope cover mounted to it to protect if from impacts. I have to remember to keep the lens cover pristine :)

The gun camera is fairly old skool tech (similar to what Tyger used in his early game videos), a Sony WDR600, connected via cable to an Aiptek digital recording unit. For the WDR600, I went with the highest zoom/NFOV lens I could get, a 16mm, 15deg FOV. The new?/uncommon? thing about mine is I had SKGrimes build me an adapter (great, fast, and very well priced) for an old Sony 2.6x Teleconversion lens I happened to have. With this lensing, the camera sees just as much, if not more than what I can with my own eyes. The overall profile I present when I'm shooting is only increased by the Gun camera lens (approx 2" O.D.) which is mounted to my adjustable picatinny riser, next to my sights.

As far as 110*, 135*, 170* go, I intended to go with the 1080P, 30FPS setting. Ultimately, I would really love the 60FPS but, I have a couple concerns you guys might be able to address.
It appears that Youtube re-samples the video to 30FPS. I have not been able to find this in documentation but, I tested this by upoloading a 60FPS video and then using "youtube downloader" (a program) to download it and the resulting flash video was 30FPS.

My Gun Camera only supports 30FPS and, if I overlay it onto a 60FPS video, then I'm essentially frame doubling for the Gun Camera, right? I suspect that this may not preserve the content as well as it should.
For FOV, I personally prefer to have zero fisheye effect as I find it distracting whenever there is something in the near field. At least a couple of other folks appear to prefer the same but, I do see the value of a wider field for this type of action. I'll see how my wooded games come out and, I'll keep an eye on it.

A couple questions for you all:
How does the slow-mo during the shot scenes work? good/bad? Should I make them slower? One thing with FS rounds, they do get there a bit quicker :P

I could trim the video down to just the starting and my elimination/game end. I'll probably do that in the future as I setup a more formal intro and closing section. What would make pre - post game dialog interesting?

GoatBoy 06-05-2012 02:44 PM

Turn off the reticle; you can always add it back in post-processing wherever you want anyways.