mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #31 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

the Automags.Org forum costs need to be separated from the www.airgundesignsusa.com
business costs

Tom was going to sell the www.airgun.com url and move to somewhere else but i think its all tied together in a hosted morass

most likely any server crash would wipe the total presence from the web
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #32 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

Domain Name: AIRGUN.COM
Registrar: MONIKER

Registrant [159565]:
Dns Admin TechPro
TechPro, Inc
318 Anderson Blvd
Geneva
IL
US

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.TECHPRO.COM 208.93.157.1
NS2.TECHPRO.COM 208.93.158.1

Record created on: 1995-12-05 00:00:00.0
Database last updated on: 2011-10-21 17:34:02.817
Domain Expires on: 2012-12-04 00:00:00.0

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Domain ID10280822-LROR
Domain Name:AUTOMAGS.ORG
Created On:16-Sep-1999 15:19:22 UTC
Last Updated On:13-Aug-2012 13:49:12 UTC
Expiration Date:16-Sep-2013 15:19:22 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Moniker Online Services LLC (R145-LROR)
Registrant ID:MONIKER159565
Registrant Namens Admin
Registrant Organization:TechPro, Inc
Registrant Street1:318 Anderson Blvd
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Geneva
Registrant State/Province:IL
Registrant Postal Code:60134
Registrant Country:US

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Domain Name: AIRGUNDESIGNSUSA.COM
Registrar: MONIKER

Registrant [159565]:
Dns Admin TechPro
TechPro, Inc
318 Anderson Blvd
Geneva
IL
US

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.TECHPRO.COM 208.93.157.1
NS2.TECHPRO.COM 208.93.158.1

Record created on: 2007-08-31 18:51:26.0
Database last updated on: 2012-08-13 09:48:03.517
Domain Expires on: 2013-08-31 18:51:34.0
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #33 (permalink)
MCB Member

First!

I'll have to look at other monies. It was worth the spot though.

Quote:
Ok I setup a campain on Indiegogo and here is the link.
Save Automags.org! -- Indiegogo

The rest is up to all of you!

AGD

Last edited by Spider!; 09-05-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #34 (permalink)
BEO-Mafia

Send a message via AIM to BigEvil

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
PBN Fan
This thread, along with the one on AO cracks me up to no end. AO has been "One crash away from dying" for about 10 years now. Why anyone would want to give people money who most likely have much more of it than you do anyhow is beyond me.

Yes, those costs are WAY out of line. Im pretty sure, but not positive about, is those numbers will most likely include moving and hosting all of TK's websites and whatever else is on that Commodore 64 server box that they are still using and paying insane money for. If not, the google ads would cover most of the costs of running AO, which quite frankly should be under $1k a year under the toughest circumstances.

What Im sure some of you know and some of you don't, is that AO and AGD have been for sale for YEARS. For what I have heard, the asking price for AO was in the $2k range about 3-4 years ago. What would make anyone think that is the market value of it, I have no idea, but good luck if that is the case.

Furthermore, I am also under the impression, that Dave Zupan, owner of AGDUSA, pays the bill or part of it to keep AO going. Therefore, I, and you, support AO by PURCHASING AGD PRODUCTS. To ask for 'donations' or to hold 'fundraisers' or bake sales or whatever to do this, is in my opinion totally inappropriate.

Besides the money that is being asked, you would also need competent support people to not only handle the upgrade and migration, but to be regular admins. Right now, not only is there no one filling the admin role, but there are only 1 or 2 mods left. So who is going to be willing to donate time for these things for free after the owners just collected a ton of cash?

BigEvil's MCB Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvil
We don't want to actually hurt you, we just want to mess with you a bit...
BigEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #35 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindless_Chaos View Post
im all for ao continuing, but the money doesn't add up.
Maybe throw some adsense ads in there and it'll help pay for itself. It's got a huge database of posts that probably pulls in google hits.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #36 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
This thread, along with the one on AO cracks me up to no end. AO has been "One crash away from dying" for about 10 years now. Why anyone would want to give people money who most likely have much more of it than you do anyhow is beyond me.

Yes, those costs are WAY out of line. Im pretty sure, but not positive about, is those numbers will most likely include moving and hosting all of TK's websites and whatever else is on that Commodore 64 server box that they are still using and paying insane money for. If not, the google ads would cover most of the costs of running AO, which quite frankly should be under $1k a year under the toughest circumstances.

What Im sure some of you know and some of you don't, is that AO and AGD have been for sale for YEARS. For what I have heard, the asking price for AO was in the $2k range about 3-4 years ago. What would make anyone think that is the market value of it, I have no idea, but good luck if that is the case.

Furthermore, I am also under the impression, that Dave Zupan, owner of AGDUSA, pays the bill or part of it to keep AO going. Therefore, I, and you, support AO by PURCHASING AGD PRODUCTS. To ask for 'donations' or to hold 'fundraisers' or bake sales or whatever to do this, is in my opinion totally inappropriate.

Besides the money that is being asked, you would also need competent support people to not only handle the upgrade and migration, but to be regular admins. Right now, not only is there no one filling the admin role, but there are only 1 or 2 mods left. So who is going to be willing to donate time for these things for free after the owners just collected a ton of cash?
AO is the only place I ever spent any time on that didn't have "contributors" or paying members, and the adds are minimal. I think at the very least, a contribution constitutes a serious vote for saving the info on the site. If there's not enough people interested in it, then I'm sure it will die a quiet death anyway. It's a lot better than most pre-orders.

Yes, it has been dying for years, but so has my old dog and everyone else. As noted, the mods are getting thin, the features have been cut, registration is a manual function. As always, "the end is near", but you can't always ignore it.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
AO is the only place I ever spent any time on that didn't have "contributors" or paying members, and the adds are minimal. I think at the very least, a contribution constitutes a serious vote for saving the info on the site. If there's not enough people interested in it, then I'm sure it will die a quiet death anyway. It's a lot better than most pre-orders.

Yes, it has been dying for years, but so has my old dog and everyone else. As noted, the mods are getting thin, the features have been cut, registration is a manual function. As always, "the end is near", but you can't always ignore it.
Well, once AO is moved over to modern VBulletin software, you can automate the registration again to keep the spam bots out. (I've done it, very easy.)

And if need be, I'll step up and help AO. Hell, I've been on there since before AO was owned by AGD...
Dayspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #38 (permalink)
Needs new knees

BE, I understand your frustration and the previous issues that made you create your own BEO forum. But leave people to decide if they want to contribute to keep AO up. Many of us have no issue with what you outlined, and will donate for whatever motivates us to do so. Please do not insult these people because you have a different opinion.

P.S. Someday you may be in the same boat with your forum, and people may come to help you.
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #39 (permalink)
BEO-Mafia

Send a message via AIM to BigEvil

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane-O View Post
BE, I understand your frustration and the previous issues that made you create your own BEO forum. But leave people to decide if they want to contribute to keep AO up. Many of us have no issue with what you outlined, and will donate for whatever motivates us to do so. Please do not insult these people because you have a different opinion.

P.S. Someday you may be in the same boat with your forum, and people may come to help you.
You totally missed my point.

BigEvil's MCB Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvil
We don't want to actually hurt you, we just want to mess with you a bit...
BigEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #40 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
So who is going to be willing to donate time for these things for free after the owners just collected a ton of cash?
Many people would if you read the thread on AO. Lets just see if it actually happens.

If I didnt get your point, then what exactly is it?
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone