mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #201 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
Stilgar, love your statement: "Technology is not the enemy", this is so true in the context of this discussion.

Reading this thread (ha, thanks for starting a good one Russc) I keep coming to this thought: if you don't like the way people in your area play, figure out how YOU want to play and invite some others to play that way too.

It can be done, and my little no-big-deal league is living proof. We play for fun, with any gun, at ANY bps and its not a problem. If it becomes a problem the problem-makers are uninvited.

I'm not (just) hyping our form of play (check sig), I'm saying its ONE of the ways to make a difference...and if I can make some difference as a player, so can you.

Just change what you don't like and invite others to join you.

I agree with this... When I got interested in paintball about 7 years ago, I talked to a friend who had attended a field right down the street from my house. He had tons of horror stories about being shot multiple times from hot guns (he knew because he had multiple bleeders all from one guy). And other people who wouldn't stop firing when they hit someone, the "out" player had to run for cover as they would keep pelting them over and over, and laughing...

So, I thought why bother with garbage like that.

You just can't control a public field, but you can start your own private field. And as I found out when my brother in law wanted to get shot for the first time, the paint doesn't break that easily if you are using cheap paint.

And when it is bring your own paint, people that haven't played much will always buy cheap paint as they just don't know...

So when I started my field, I made a simple rule that we use to this day.

If you are hit, you are out. Regardless of paint breakage...

This eliminates the need to light up other players to ensure a break, as ANY hit counts. Long range, short range, all it takes is ONE paintball hitting the other player. It can even bounce off the ground and hit you. Spray doesn't count, but if you get a glancing blow off your side, you don't have to have a ref tell you, you KNOW you got hit... So it is an integrity thing, will you call yourself out when there is no "proof"? Sure there are times you don't feel it (if it hits your pods, or the front of your gun). But, that is part of the game, and the other player can tell you to check your gun or hopper if they see it hit you, and you don't feel it.

I realize it isn't for everyone, but for me, that is just how I play... Even when I go to public fields, I still play that way, as I am used to it. Watch my videos, as you can often see me get hit, and I just raise my hand without even checking if it "broke"... Sure I get out with paint that bounces, but really, isn't the goal to HIT the other guy, and if he gets unlucky and it bounces off you, why shouldn't that count, as he did HIT you?

I'd rather play where WE the players call ourselves out, instead of having to have a REF pull us out... Course there are people that lie, steal and cheat, so public fields HAVE to have refs, but we as a community could choose to play this way if we wanted.

To me, it is just better sportsmanship, I realize it isn't for everyone, but it sure eliminates a ton of issues.

If I want to shoot a ton of paint, I look for someone 300 feet away and unload... Sometimes I get them, and it gives me a chance to waste some paint and sometimes that is just fun!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #202 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
Sure I get out with paint that bounces, but really, isn't the goal to HIT the other guy, and if he gets unlucky and it bounces off you, why shouldn't that count, as he did HIT you?
I'm going to pretend this wasn't a rhetorical question.

"Paintball" without "paint" is just "ball". AKA airsoft.

Canonical rules of paintball, as far as I remember, have been for paint to break on the player, quarter sized or larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
If I want to shoot a ton of paint, I look for someone 300 feet away and unload... Sometimes I get them, and it gives me a chance to waste some paint and sometimes that is just fun!
See, you're the kind of immoral hoser that is ruining our sport/game.

It doesn't matter if you're 300 feet away. It doesn't matter if you're shooting nothing at all. It doesn't matter if 100% of your paint falls harmlessly to the ground or hits nothing but trees, rocks, and bunkers. It doesn't matter if you're at the chrono station outside a game shooting literally nobody. It doesn't matter if you're an otherwise completely good natured person and player.

If you shoot a lot of paint, you are a hoser, no matter where, how, and when you're doing it, and you are ruining it for everyone.

That about sum things up?
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #203 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

This goes both ways. One of the people I used to play with was basically capable of eliminating most people on the field at any time he wanted to. The most experienced players stood a chance against him and would be eliminated quickly. The lesser experienced players would often get far more shots at him before being eliminated. It was not because he "accidentally" missed them and put the ball at the top of the bunker or in or out a few inches with the less experienced players. And you know what - when the less experienced players did get him it could be the highlight of their day.

He did not shoot an excessive amount of paint - he seldom carried more than a single tube.

Intimidating and demoralizing other players on the field is about more than just the amount of paint in the air. When you go out and constantly one-ball the renters and effectively roll over them, even without a large amount of paint, is the game really much more fun for them than if you did it with a lot of paint?

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Old 09-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #204 (permalink)
Mar
All nail Drum!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
@ everyone in this thread: argue without personal attacks or join Snakebite in a timeout. Final warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay View Post
Naw, MAr's special. He's like Brad Pitt or George Clooney or something... totally cool to be a little gay for him
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Anyone not wanting to BE Mar is doing it wrong.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #205 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Intimidating and demoralizing other players on the field is about more than just the amount of paint in the air. When you go out and constantly one-ball the renters and effectively roll over them, even without a large amount of paint, is the game really much more fun for them than if you did it with a lot of paint?
I agree that for new players being eliminated early in games on a regular basis sucks. However, I definitely think being one balled sucks less than being held behind a bunker by endless shooting and then possibly being multi-balled when you do stick your head out for a second.

Many years ago, when I first started playing, pumps were the norm at rental fields. I fell in love with the game on my first visit. About my third visit, one of the field owner's regulars (and friend) showed up with a new fangled paintball gun that could shoot semi-auto. He must have got his paint at a really good price compared to the rest of us because he was hosing pretty hard. I, and most of the others in our group were relatively new players. Every single one of us disliked that experience and disliked going up against that player. He stopped us from playing the type of game we fell in love with and the reason were returning to the field on a fairly regular basis. We hated sitting behind a bunker, not being able to peak out, knowing we would most likely end up with three or more shots to the head.

The other regulars who joined in and played with pumps, like the rest of us, weren't a big threat (at least not to our having fun). Sure they eliminated us a lot more than we eliminated them, but at least they weren't hemorrhaging paint on our bunkers and shooting us more than once when eliminating us. They were much more tolerable than the semi-toting player.

So yes, I think there is a difference between being one balled on a regualr basis as a new player, verses being besieged with a boatload of paint.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #206 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
So yes, I think there is a difference between being one balled on a regualr basis as a new player, verses being besieged with a boatload of paint.
Fair enough. Let me adjust my point. The game can be made to be less fun for new players by experienced (and good) players even without them shooting a lot of paint.

Some of us who are suggesting "being in control" regarding shooting volume of paint are likely skilled enough (I said us - I'm not that skilled) that we need to be equally aware of "dialing down" our skill level when playing against new competition.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #207 (permalink)
One Pump Chump

Fan of EMR
Kilt Fan
As an experienced player of 20+ years and a stock class player for most of that time. I truly love it when I have multiple electros raining down on my bunker.. If they fear a sc phantom that much I take that as thee greatest of compliments. I play some at a local indoor field usually the first game is wich team gets stuck with the pump, by the third game it us who cab get the pump on their team.. that is pure respect in my eyes..
Old 09-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #208 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
How shooting at nothing, and hitting nothing, to no end goal, in a context which isn't even a game in the first place, is unfair to noobs, I have no idea.

Noobs gonna be noobs.
I think you are putting words into my mouth. Unfair is not the word I used.

Fear and trepidation can prevent them from coming back.
We need those newbs to come back and play again, or the game continues to die a slow death.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #209 (permalink)
Post Whore

i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Fair enough. Let me adjust my point. The game can be made to be less fun for new players by experienced (and good) players even without them shooting a lot of paint.

Some of us who are suggesting "being in control" regarding shooting volume of paint are likely skilled enough (I said us - I'm not that skilled) that we need to be equally aware of "dialing down" our skill level when playing against new competition.
See thats actually why id like some adult fields so i could take break from dialing my skill level back. I only play pump tho so its not like anyone would get hurt anyways
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Old 09-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #210 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
i

See thats actually why id like some adult fields so i could take break from dialing my skill level back. I only play pump tho so its not like anyone would get hurt anyways
Find a group that wants to play all out. Most of the time they can be found in any tournament. Find a field that does not mix skill levels. I would like adult fields for maturity reasons* but some of the most skilled players I have ever played against were well under 18.

*Yes there are exceptions in both directions. I know

Last edited by Lohman446; 09-08-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone