mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   What guns do you just not get the hype? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/216606-what-guns-do-you-just-not-get-hype.html)

Dusty Bottoms 10-21-2012 09:23 AM

What guns do you just not get the hype?

I was purusing the sale forums and got to thinking about this. What gun, or series, or manufacturer, do you just NOT get what the big friggin' deal is? Especially when others around you seem to have drank the koolaid, and you never got a cup.

This will probably get me stoned here, but as an automag guy I've never understood why people like Palmer's semi-autos. They seem even more complicated than an autococker already is, and prone to even more mysterious leaks that are harder to fix. So many of the sale ads for them always have some little disclosure about a mysterious leak or what not on the gun, its always funny to me. Even aesthetically, I've always thought them kind of ugly. They have an elegant base gun, but then have all these hoses and crap coming out of them.

I just don't get it...

What do you not get?

Vegard 10-21-2012 09:31 AM

Vapors, Demons, Creeds.

Low quality poo.

crazyorigin 10-21-2012 09:40 AM

Anything chinese made and $600+

Z3R0 10-21-2012 10:23 AM

Bob Long... I appreciate that they're American-made, but I've never found Marqs or Gen5 Timmies to feel very nice in the hands or to shoot particularly well. I don't have any experience with anything older than that from BL, so maybe that's where the fanbase comes from, but the newer stuff is just pretty standard fare to me.

Falcon16 10-21-2012 10:31 AM

I know I'll probably get massacred for this but the high end nelsons that costs $600+ or in some cases (DD68,Redux,Boxgun etc) sometimes up over $1000. I just don't get get it. I'm not saying you shouldn't pay good money for high quality machine work where the pieces fit together perfectly but at the end of the day other than being flashy they are all internally THE SAME as a phantom. So i guess I think why spend $600+ on a buzzard or $1000+ on a redux or DD68 when a Phantom that's had a little money put into it (detent mod body, freaked barrel, ported TPC and fluted hammer) and some spring tuning so maybe $150-200 all together can be even MORE efficient than the so called high ends?

HP_Lovecraft 10-21-2012 10:33 AM

Automags.

In the early days they had so many problems. Spikes, dropoffs, chops, leaks, mysterious failures, etc. It was a compact, elegant design, especially compared to the other guns of the period.... but back then, they always seemed to have trouble. That memory has always stuck with me.

maggot 10-21-2012 10:47 AM

kind of

Quote:

Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft (Post 2511137)
Automags.

In the early days they had so many problems. Spikes, dropoffs, chops, leaks, mysterious failures, etc. It was a compact, elegant design, especially compared to the other guns of the period.... but back then, they always seemed to have trouble. That memory has always stuck with me.

I see what you are saying, but after a couple of years they had the most effective user manual of any marker I can thing of. Literally every possible problem has a diagnosis on the manual, almost all can be solved by replacing the power tube o-ring. You also have to keep in mind, these problems were due to using co2 w/o an expansion chamber or remote.
After the proliferation of HPA, I don't think there has been a more reliable marker.

BenoitOWN 10-21-2012 10:47 AM

Fixed barrel brass sheridans(unless retubed and detents)
Outdated by the bore size, low velocity and rollsout that playing with one doesn't seem logic.
All they have left is the oldschool factor ...

shoot to thrill 10-21-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenoitOWN (Post 2511144)
Fixed barrel brass sheridans(unless retubed and detents)
Outdated by the bore size, low velocity and rollsout that playing with one doesn't seem logic.
All they have left is the oldschool factor ...

The only sheridans I'll buy are new builds for that reason.

LibertyRadeon 10-21-2012 10:54 AM

CCMs. I know that I'm gonna get flamed for this (FLAMESHIELD UP!!!!) but I honestly just don't know why people like them so much. I've found that my much cheaper 06 BM and Grey Ghost both shoot much nicer than the CCMs I've used in game, and are much more fun to use. I dunno, maybe CCMs are just too refined for me or something...