mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Uticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
You know I was sitting here thinking about playing open play alone. I normally go to the field alone.

When I used to run I simply wrote an emergency contact number on my race number. I wonder if there is a good way to do this on paintball wristbands. If someone were to get hurt how long would it take to find the right number to call someone at?
After wandering off a poorly taped corner of a woodsball field at a scenario game a couple years ago, and spending the afternoon lost in the woods, I now write my emergency contact number on the wavier. Most fields around here ask for a phone number on the wavier, and since I live alone, I write the emergency contact number on it instead.
Uticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #22 (permalink)

Good job Manning!

Not to argue that it's not a shame that parents drop their kids off for an "Extreme" adventure sport without proper supervision, nor that it's the field's fault, I do want to point out that in a sport with as many odd dangers and pitfalls as ours, it really does fall to players like us to spot problems like this and fix them. You were there to step up to the plate and I would hope that most of us, and most old-time players in general are willing and able to do this.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
^ Good point. It really does come down to looking out for each other out there.
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #24 (permalink)

Even if they are there they can be useless.Middle of a speedball game i notice the netting staging side lifting in the wind and proceed to make the most graceless bellyflop/superman dive onto it screaming "game"
Get up ready to rip the refs a new one for not locking it down when i see a five year old girl unclipping the netting to "make the twangy sound".Mom was sitting in the suv reading while her son played didnt even notice her daughter get out and wander off
saintnoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #25 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
Good job Manning!

Not to argue that it's not a shame that parents drop their kids off for an "Extreme" adventure sport without proper supervision, nor that it's the field's fault, I do want to point out that in a sport with as many odd dangers and pitfalls as ours, it really does fall to players like us to spot problems like this and fix them. You were there to step up to the plate and I would hope that most of us, and most old-time players in general are willing and able to do this.
Man I hate to argue the point, but parents should NOT be put in the position to have to count on the charity of the patrons to provide for the safety of their children at a facility that claims to be family safe / family friendly.

As a parent there is no way I would willingly release the safety of my 10 year old child to absolute strangers.

I say: (pick one)
1) close the business as it is not family safe / family friendly.
2) make the facility family safe / family friendly.*
3) state clearly that the facility is not safe for unattended children.

* the industry should self-regulate or be regulated by professional organizations dedicated to safety; and self regulation should not and can not rely on the charity of the paying customers to safeguard the well-being of the children participants. Thats dangerous and pathetic.

Sorry for the brass tacks.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #26 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uticus View Post
After wandering off a poorly taped corner of a woodsball field at a scenario game a couple years ago, and spending the afternoon lost in the woods, I now write my emergency contact number on the wavier. Most fields around here ask for a phone number on the wavier, and since I live alone, I write the emergency contact number on it instead.
Every race I have run has a waiver as well. However it occured to me while running one race that if I were to become unresponsive during that race finding my particular waiver would be an issue because I was running with no ID - even if they were able to match waivers to participants it would take time.

I also note that I play paintball with no ID. Granted I play where people know me and could find my ID in my truck but this is not always the case.

If you had an unresponsive 14 year old at the field because of something like bee stings (happened at one event I was at, parents were there though) would you know who to contact and how? If this number was on a set of dog tags or a bracelet - or even written on the "entrance wristband" you would.

My suggestion is for those who play paintball alone that they write at least a phone number on something they have on them - even if it is as crude as a sharpie on your forearm.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:07 AM   #27 (permalink)
Got Paint?

at Dday this year the first mini scenario I saw a kid no older than 16 being taken out by chopper, no parents no nothing.
With a field that big you gotta have a buddy system.

I had a case about a year ago where I came up on 5 kids ranging from 14-16,I took the first four out by running up on their flank, when I came over the side to the 5 kid he looks up at me and his mask is hanging around his neck. I had him dead to rights, finger on the trigger and about 1/2 a millimeter pull away from drilling one right to his face. Scared the living **** outta me.
I am friendly enough but this just pissed me off. I dropped my marker and grabbed the kids mask and shoved it on his face. I think my words were "What the fu** are you doing and get your azz off the field now." In a tone that was less than polite. He says he was "adjusting" his hat.
I went and let the field owner know, Apparently it was the 3rd time he was told that day not to take them off.
His mom appeared had some choice words and they both drove off.
Could not believe how close this kid came to losing an eye or worse and he was so nonchalant about almost getting railed.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #28 (permalink)
gnar

CCM Fan
I'm glad people are out there looking out for kids like that. The more time I spend on the internet the more and more thankful I am to play at the field I do.

Over the summer a particular birthday boy was not too pleased when our field owner benched him, and not his friends, when he lifted his mask while on the field for a third time.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:28 AM   #29 (permalink)
TOTAL GREIF

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Did this happen at Xtreme?
Old 11-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Wacky.
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone