mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Scary moment at the field... (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/217697-scary-moment-field.html)

Manning 11-03-2012 11:26 PM

Scary moment at the field...

So my son and I went to an open play game and the place was packed as usual. We're walking to the field and there are two little guys that couldn't be more than the age limit (I think its 10 at the field) and they were talking about how fast they were going to surrender so they didn't get shot. I got a little chuckle out of that and though they were small fries, it was cool to see little guys getting into the sport. So we have this castle on the field and my team gets to defend. Our side starts out behind the castle and after the whistle blows I tuck into the closest bunker. There is a pile of bodies stacked up behind the castle and I took a look for my son and see one of the little guys sitting on the ground with his mask around his neck. His eyes were as big as donuts and he's yelling to me that the mask won't stay up. I rushed over to him and the mask (it was a rental) was just too big with shot elastic and it kept falling off his face. I held the mask to his face while he hoisted his Tippmann and helped him walk off the field. He could barely lift the marker too...

I kept looking around for a parent to come help him and nothing. I don't know if his parent(s) were back at the staging area but it chapped my tail a bit that this little guy and his buddy were just out in an open play game with no parent or sibling watching out for them. Sure the refs there do a good job, but there were over 20 players per side and too much going on for one ref to manage. No one needs to lose an eye or take a string to the face, especially little guys.

If you have small children, please don't just drop them at the field and take off. At least send someone to watch out for their safety.:mad:

uniwersel 11-03-2012 11:30 PM

Sorry to threadjack sorta, but do people get annoyed at people around my age (14-16) being dropped off without a parent to stay with us? My dad is usually with me when I play, but there have been a couple exceptions to that.

p8ntninja 11-03-2012 11:32 PM

The part that concerns me the most with the whole story is the fields rental staff doing a piss poor job of maintaining their gear. That is unacceptable. You payed for a good and in return should be receiving gear/goods that are in proper order. The idiot handing out the gear needs to be canned for allowing a youngster to walk off with a mask strap in poor shape that provides very little safety.

p8ntninja 11-03-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uniwersel (Post 2524059)
Sorry to threadjack sorta, but do people get annoyed at people around my age (14-16) being dropped off without a parent to stay with us? My dad is usually with me when I play, but there have been a couple exceptions to that.

As long as your cool/following the rules and in general not being an asshat then I am fine with it. If your sole purpose there is to wreck havoc because mom and pops are not monitoring you then yea, I have an issue.

Manning 11-03-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

No I think most of the guys your age are mature and conscious enough to play on your own. It depends on the person though. I know some 35 year old men that could use some parental supervision...:bang:

sniper97 11-03-2012 11:46 PM

I will say you did the right thing! Good job!

Ref's should have done a better job.

everex5 11-03-2012 11:57 PM

You did the right thing. I have taken many shots when reffing to avoid those problems. I remember being at an outlaw game once (very few times I ever did that) and I was running to tackle this kid to get his mask on. We were attacking a team already on the field and found out why later on. Anyways... He had been shot and panicked. He tore off his mask and was screaming for his mom... his dad had shot him and with no mask on his father unloaded on him. He took 5 or 6 rounds to the head before I was able to shield him. I took probably 20 more before the dad stopped shooting/laughing. Drunk bastard. I left after that. The kid was mangled... his mom freaked out..and everyone was pretty much drunk minus me and a few others. Dad was shooting about 395 or so... along with the rest of them. He was maybe 20-30 feet from the kid. The kid almost lost his RT eye from damage but after a month or so it started to heal and he could see from it again. You did the right thing. KUDOS.

BlueDragonX 11-03-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manning (Post 2524056)
No one needs to lose an eye or take a string to the face, especially little guys.

Way to be looking out for the little guys. I love seeing kids getting into the sport and I feel it's our job as the "old guys" of the sport to make sure they're being taken care of. More and more am I defining my day of play by whether or not the kids at the field are having fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manning (Post 2524056)
If you have small children, please don't just drop them at the field and take off. At least send someone to watch out for their safety.:mad:

I agree and this something I've said before and feel strongly about. I hate it when parents treat the paintball field like a daycare.

Quote:

As long as you're mature and handle yourself properly, no. But to be frank there are quite a few adults I've met at the field who are not mature and do not handle themselves properly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by p8ntninja (Post 2524060)
The part that concerns me the most with the whole story is the fields rental staff doing a piss poor job of maintaining their gear. That is unacceptable.

Agreed. The field staff's first and most important job is always safety. If a gun doesn't work right then the customer might leave unhappy. If a mask doesn't work right then the customer might leave without an eye. Priorities need to be in order.

chopper duke 11-04-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manning (Post 2524063)
No I think most of the guys your age are mature and conscious enough to play on your own. It depends on the person though. I know some 33 year old men that could use some parental supervision...:bang:

I didn't know we had played paintball together! :D:D

I want to congratulate you on doing what needed to be done. I, for one, am glad people like you are out there!

C_losjoker 11-04-2012 12:24 AM

Great job, I hope you made the staff and owner aware of this big mistake that could have been bad for everyone.