mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #91 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

I remember neutral players in speedball. It never worked as well as it was thought to.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Old 11-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #92 (permalink)
Mar
All nail Drum!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
sigh...

No offense, but this is just dumbass.

Just shoot the guy.

If he is a wiper tell a ref between games, or walk over to him and call him on it.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #93 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Was playing in a tournament and had a ref run over to check the guy at snake 1, i noticed it and ran on the inside and bunkered him and shot the his 2 teammates. I told him about it and he laughed so hard. I dont think its cheating, just using your resources and using the field to you benefit.
Now what's a cocker?
Women are a lot like Pokemon, it doesn't matter how good you are, You cant catch any if you don't have any balls.

Ksciupider's Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Old 11-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #94 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksciupider View Post
Was playing in a tournament and had a ref run over to check the guy at snake 1, i noticed it and ran on the inside and bunkered him and shot the his 2 teammates. I told him about it and he laughed so hard. I dont think its cheating, just using your resources and using the field to you benefit.
Marginally different in that you did not ask the ref to do it
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Old 11-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #95 (permalink)
Tigerstyle

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Marginally different in that you did not ask the ref to do it with the sole purpose of getting an easy shot
Agreed.
"Conformities are called for much more eagerly today than yesterday... skeptics, liberals, individuals with a taste for private life and their own inner standards of behavior, are objects of fear and derision and targets of persecution for either side... in the great ideological wars of our time."- Isaiah Berlin

"Freedom is not something that can be given. Freedom is something people take, and people are as free as they want to be."- James Baldwin
Old 11-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #96 (permalink)
MCB Member

As a guy that referee's because he can't play as much anymore...

Once I am 'interfering' with a player by checking them out, if they get shot... I wipe it off them and tell them to keep playing. Not their fault I'm all up in their face.

If you called me over to a player, and shot them, I'd think less of you. A lot less. I'd also wipe it off and let the guy keep playing.

Side note; I have never reffed professional speedball. Only friendly speed-ball and woodsball.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #97 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

awesome. also worthy of note, if you hip check a pin ball machine you can cheat it into giving you more points for free. check it out. super cool.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum
Old 11-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #98 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Seems like more of a field issue than anything else really. If you distrust your refs that much to not catch the hits, it's probably time to try another field.

It's sketchy move but for some reason I can't really get worked up over it. There have been far, far worse things posted on MCB which have been met with far less disapproval, if not outright support. Groups tend to gang up on the defenseless I guess.

Emotional whining aside, I can also see it backfiring, because you call for a check, and while you're looking for a body part, the guy rolls out and shoots you because... you were already out looking for a body part. (And yes, I regularly snap out people who are already posted on me.) Or you were looking for a body part and someone else hits you from across the field because you were too focused on waiting for the body part. I mean, you literally just announced to the world where you are, and where you're looking.

Did that myself this weekend -- someone's head was up calling for a paintcheck on someone else, so I gogged him across the field.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #99 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanas View Post
They have better things to do...... All the refs at my field, who are nice and all, are high 99.99% of the time.
I'm sure the fine owners of Liberty Paintball will appreciate you for letting them know their employee's are getting high at work. I hope those same employee's don't know your alias online as well. But seeing as you use a Nelspot against electro's, even the high people should be able to figure out who you are.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #100 (permalink)
AKA Baby Ollie

Send a message via AIM to Marmaduke

Ref manipulation is a part of playing tournament paintball (for some teams at least, definitely not all). Refs are trained to spot tactics like these, and the consequences definitely outweigh the gain if you are caught.

My real problem is if this is used in any sort of rec play. One, this is rec play. We're to have fun. The only prize on the line is a minuscule amount of pride. Why even bother to play dirty? If the guy can't play through a paint-check, you should be able to gun-battle him w/o resorting to dirty tricks.

However, the biggest issue I have is the one of safety. From my experience, the average walk-on commercial field has 1-20ish ref to player ratio. If that ref is erroneously being sent in to do paint checks, his/her eyes are no longer on the new players who, I swear, will find any excuse to rip their mask off while on the field. I reffed for two years. Depending on the group, this can be a huge concern.

Finally, on a side note, refs should be able to check a player w/minimal effect on their play. They especially should not be pushing players out of bunkers.
A5OG Feedback 12/0/0
eBay Feedback 5/0/0

Last edited by Marmaduke; 11-16-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone