mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
I often play pantsless...

Send a message via AIM to aka Mich Send a message via Yahoo to aka Mich

I had this happen to me at a scenario game. I had sneaked up to a pretty decent position too and could have hosed a whole line of players that didn't know I was there but the girl on the end stood up and just kinda sat there for a few solid seconds. I tried to give her some time to get out of the way but when the guy behind her turned on me I had to shoot and ended up hitting her in the hand.

First time I've got in a full fledged argument walking off the field and had to have a ref come between us. She kept arguing that there was nobody behind her.

So I guess I'm of the opinion that if they don't move make them move. You did the nice thing and gave them a chance to move just like I did, if they don't do so in a timely manner there is a fair chance you're gonna get hit again. I've been in the opposite situation before where I've inadvertently got in someones firing lane, it hurts to take one on a raised hand or under the arm but it was my dumbass that got in the way, can't blame the shooter.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

I've done this. And been the guy who takes advantage of an out player whose just standing there. I have also bumped up when a ref crosses my field of fire for a paint check. It's shady but not breaking the rules. And both sides come with their fair share of risks. You risk getting your head bit off because some poor sap got unwittingly stuck being a bunker for a few precious moments. The bunker risks getting bonus balled and the dude using him as a shield risks it not working out in his favor and you nailing him all the same. It's all part of the game really just keep your cool and do the rise to other peoples temper
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Quote:
Lessons are learned pretty effectively when the teaching hurts.
This is a great thing about paintball. Everytime you make a mistake you have a .68 caliber incentive to do better the next time.
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Millar156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

1. The guys should have known better/did know better. He didn't move and if a guy is shooting btwn your legs you know that he is using you as a bunker.

2. You gave him fair warning. The nice thing to do, good job.

3. I would shoot him or at least not worry about hitting him while shooting for his teammates.

4. He got angry, cheaters often do when called on it(think how many arrests of guys caught red handed go out while cussing the cops?). How many people have been yelled at for shooting a rope into a guy who wiped off the few clean hits earlier in the game or day. He's cheating or is known to be a cheater and so gets hit more times because of it. His fault. Not saying you have to be dirty about it and go for the neck or groin on purpose.

wanted: got most of it for now.

currently in China
James_Blond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

In a tournament I am firing at my target. If a "dead" player refuses to get out of the way he is likely to take extras until he decides to move.

In recball. Not so much.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed

Last edited by Lohman446; 12-03-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Pain is a good motivator.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Thanks for all the good feedback guys...I kinda felt bad about what happenned on Saturday...but I do feel better now that I've gotten some feedback...
rangerjim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Discovered the Hidden Cup

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I'm going to chime in with the chorus. My goal is not to overshoot anyone, but I pull the trigger until a hand goes up or I hear, "out, out!"

Thankfully I haven't had many human bunker situations, but in the one you describe I think you did the right thing. Give 'em a good faith chance to exit and when it's clear they aren't doing that, go for their teammates regardless.

The point is just that sometimes bonus balls happen. Don't do it on purpose, and don't fret when it occurs.

*Obviously the three 12-year olds with rental Tippmanns crouched behind the same bunker in the back row get some extra leeway, but we aren't talking about them.
Feedback
Axel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjim3 View Post
This past saturday I was playing at my local field in Cranberry township and I had something happen that has not ever happenned to me before. We were playing on a pretty thick woodsball field with few open lanes of fire. I was laying down on the ground covering a hillside watching the other players sneak up through trees towards my position. My friend took up a position just to the side of me and we opened fire at about the same time just as we started to get some clear shots at them. We took out the first player and he stands up...as he is standing there with his hands in the air and his gun pointed up he friends start using him for cover. One guy was shooting through his legs and another was shooting from behind him. I did not fire back for fear of hitting him again and thinking that he would move. This continued to go on with these players shooting at us while we held our fire, until my friend who was with me started to yell for him to move but the player did not move an inch. My friend started to shoot again and hit the guy who was standing up, and he finally decided to move out of the way. His friends who were using him for the cover took back off down the hill, the player who was standing up moved down the hill to where I was swearing and yelling. I kept telling him that I was not firing and that his friends were using him for cover, but it didn't really matter at that point..He was already super pissed I think. This was a group of older guys/kids with all their own gear and equipment...so it wasn't like it was their first time playing. I wasn't really sure what I should of done...do I wait for them to hit me? Do I keep shooting? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!!!
Thanks
sounds like he knew he was helping his friends, and was guilt tripping you when his plan backfired to cover his own guilt. you told him to move and he didn't. the fault is on him.

edit: i've never used someone like this, but i have been in a walk on game where i was a dead man and the opposition actually used me as a shield. i was unaware until my own teammates screamed at me to move out the way, which i did, and they thanked me.

Last edited by heinous; 12-03-2012 at 10:33 PM.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
all work

If I were that player I'd be pissed with my team-mates for getting me bonus balled. I might just come back from the dead to shoot them myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
I've done this. And been the guy who takes advantage of an out player whose just standing there. I have also bumped up when a ref crosses my field of fire for a paint check. It's shady but not breaking the rules.
Paintball is supposed to be a game of honor.
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone