mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Diabetes and paintball (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/221579-diabetes-paintball.html)

dutchy 12-20-2012 04:24 PM

Diabetes and paintball

Yes I know diabetes suck ball real hard,but I manage.but I got an idea what would happen if I got low bloodsugar or something else just happens???

So I bought a Patch with the red cross on it and wrote diabetes on it so if they should find me somewhere on a biggame they know what I have,and they can help me faster.

You opinion,

Broch 12-20-2012 04:29 PM

FANTASTIC idea!!! I'm going to do the same.

Merry Christmas!

uv_halo 12-20-2012 04:32 PM

The problem is that folks may just assume it's a part of your scenario uniform.

If it were me, I'd recommend a medical bracelet, EMTs should know to check for those but, I'd check in with them to be sure they do.

I just realized you're from the Netherlands- I dunno if there's an equivalent of the 'medical bracelet' over there.

dundadun 12-20-2012 04:36 PM

Ironchef, here on mcb, works at a company that makes compression shorts for sports with a pocket built in for insulin dispensers.

Keebler 12-20-2012 04:44 PM

I have one or those blood type key chain belt loop things from evike similar situation I guess. I don't have any illnesses but better safe than sorry. Any prevention you can take you should.

nerdcore 12-20-2012 04:44 PM

Let other players know. Folks you play with regularly should be aware of your condition and should know what to do if needed.

Celebrity Ghost 12-20-2012 04:50 PM

For a low, maybe keep some liquid glucose or some tablets on you. If you go liquid, keep it in an eyeglasses case or something hard so it doesn't explode everywhere on you.

Let a teammate know where it is on you so they can help if need be.

MEDuck 12-20-2012 05:15 PM

I recommend both a medical bracelet and the patch. EMT's check for med bracelets as part of their routine assessments. But it does no good if another player or a ref finds you and has no medical background. Thats when the patch would be good.

Ps: I doubt the patch could be seen as part of a uniform, scenarios don't usually feature the active character "Diabetes Dude."

Yellow5 12-20-2012 05:45 PM

I don't have any particular medical issues myself, but my team keeps a binder in our staging area that has a page for each member listing relevant medical and contact information in case of emergency. It wouldn't help a stranger finding us passed out on the field, but by the time the official medical team arrived it could help keep things straight.

Patar 12-20-2012 05:48 PM

hahaha, floundah's right.

I think the diabetes patch is a fantastic idea, very simple and clear and concise so that anyone can know whats going on in case of emergency. I think what's important is that it's simple and easy to see and understand. Cuts out a lot of uncertainty that scares people in emergencies, causing them to lose some clarity of thought.