mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

There's a place in Montgomery County like this. Associated with torrid paintball supply. I think they do a "customer appreciation day" here and there though where they allow walkons

I'm under the impression that Montgomery County is a pain to build a field on so it's not a paintball field so much as a recreational activities field. They also offer horseback riding and such
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Radical!

That's bizarre. Although around here, i've noticed a different trend that is also restricting in a way.

I played TONS of recball at Davis & WAP, where every joe shmoe could just show up and play with every other joe shmoe. Out here in the Nash, the 2 nearest fields both seem to only have 2 groups - rentals only for all the recball, then walk-ons have to play airball with all the scrimming tourney players. I dunno if the turnout is just so low that the play styles just flow that way, or if that's an actual rule or guideline they follow. It's making me sad. I don't want to rent or play tourneys - i'm a professional weekend warrior.

My only solace is my new pb buddies who play on private land, fellow professional weekend warriors.

Last edited by nerdcore; 01-04-2013 at 11:15 PM.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Function over looks

Send a message via MSN to monty

There's a few fields like that around here but it's usually due some other constraint. Small in size, short on staff, my home field for example is on a private island (walk on's need to call before hand to see if there's a group going). Sucks but not that uncommon.

The weirdest was a field I tried for the first time this summer. Once a month they had a friendly "open house" for walk ons but even with your gear you had to choose a rental package. you could still use your gear but they couldnt price out just paint and entrance, you HAD to pick a package from the menu.

My MCB Feedback
My EBAY Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
With all the drama, whining, superiority complex, and "you can't play here newbie" attitude I wonder if scenario paintball is attempting to take a lesson from tournament paintball on how to decrease interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPB-Mike View Post
I don't particularly have any respect for players using a pump gun.
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Dunno their circumstances but if you have the staff and the will, why lock out players because you're going broke? Why not advertise more/better? A lot of players would ref if it meant they could get some free games in, all you have to do is to teach them how to be good refs. have 2-3 people behind the counter, maybe one at the air fill station? I never expected a paintball field to be something that takes a lot of manpower to run yknow...maybe I'm wrong...

But obviously people want to play paintball, if no one's going to your field somethings wrong. I'd rather fix the problem instead of giving up...
Old 01-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
The pbzone has a staff of 3 refs and 1 person handling the money(the owner).Every field I have been too staff wise has a few people that are paid as employees and the rest work for paint ,air and play or maybe a little cash option here and there.
At this field the service is bad 1 person handles all transaction's.The lack of trust is horrible.They open at 9 it may take and hour to register and pay(depending on numbers).Then you wait for everyone to get done ,safty briefing and your out on the field playing at 11 or so.I saw a family member who was trying to help get chastised for 5 dollars missing which was found on the floor needless to say he quit helping.They think everyone is against them or trying to shut them down.I love playing there and since they opened 14 years ago have tried along with other players to help with suggestions,and maintaining fields.It is the poorest ran field I have ever seen.We put on a game after the husband died everything was donated volunters ,prizes ,lunch,soda, all raffle ticket money we had 2 or 3 windows taking money all said 200 or so players thousands in prizes,local buinesses donated prizes.They couldn't understand why we did this for free or why would you give away free lunch.Pepsi gave us free drinks as a donation they were trying to sell them.They must have figured we wanted something out of this.Failing to understand that we are a community and trying to help.I wish them the best.
casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
The pbzone has a staff of 3 refs and 1 person handling the money(the owner).Every field I have been too staff wise has a few people that are paid as employees and the rest work for paint ,air and play or maybe a little cash option here and there.
At this field the service is bad 1 person handles all transaction's.The lack of trust is horrible.They open at 9 it may take and hour to register and pay(depending on numbers).Then you wait for everyone to get done ,safty briefing and your out on the field playing at 11 or so.I saw a family member who was trying to help get chastised for 5 dollars missing which was found on the floor needless to say he quit helping.They think everyone is against them or trying to shut them down.I love playing there and since they opened 14 years ago have tried along with other players to help with suggestions,and maintaining fields.It is the poorest ran field I have ever seen.We put on a game after the husband died everything was donated volunters ,prizes ,lunch,soda, all raffle ticket money we had 2 or 3 windows taking money all said 200 or so players thousands in prizes,local buinesses donated prizes.They couldn't understand why we did this for free or why would you give away free lunch.Pepsi gave us free drinks as a donation they were trying to sell them.They must have figured we wanted something out of this.Failing to understand that we are a community and trying to help.I wish them the best.
she's a total stranger to the sport. it's not out of line to suspect everything. maybe you should do what the other story did and buy out her field to run it your own way. barring that, all you can do is tell her why she would suspect you are teaming with the other field if you've been at her field while both fields were open, if she won't believe you then the only thing left to do is to leave and let the capitalist market sort it out.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Shi Tamagutsu Ka

Strategy Plus in E.Hampton, CT is one of the oldest fields in the world.

Right now they don't do walk-ons, only pre-paid groups.
And probably as much airsoft as paintball.
There are reasons for this change, I don't need to go into them here.

So, yes.
I do see this policy in place at one paintball field I've played on since 1988.
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6
Pyrate Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
she's a total stranger to the sport. it's not out of line to suspect everything. maybe you should do what the other story did and buy out her field to run it your own way. barring that, all you can do is tell her why she would suspect you are teaming with the other field if you've been at her field while both fields were open, if she won't believe you then the only thing left to do is to leave and let the capitalist market sort it out.
At one time in 2006-2008 you could have gotten the rights and a 10 year lease for 1.5 million. That went down allot because of the housing slump but paying over 100 g's a year to lease flood plain no thanks ! I can't see the place doing 10 grand a month all year haha !! A local business was looking at taking it over you can see why they didn't .
casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

then there's nothing you can do. you can't jam help down her throat. just go play wherever you want. personally if there's a park 18 miles away i would just go there. why on earth would i deposit for a CHANCE to play?
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Looking at this from a field owner's point of view;

If a field isn't very busy, then it's not cost effective to have staff at the field in the hopes that enough players for a game will show up. Chances are they are barely making money on the days they are open, so paying staff on days where no game ends up taking place, will lose any that they make on the "good" days.

We ran for quite a while when we first started and only opened on days when we had enough deposits. It allowed us to be "profitable" and we built our business from there. I think it was 7 or 8 years before we committed to being open every Saturday and Sunday. Both our competitors have been open for more than 20 years and still haven't committed to regular hours.

One person handling cash...good idea. I wish we cold implement such a system. Employees steal. Not all, but enough to have it hurt. Do some research and you might be surprised to see how many people are willing to steal from their employers and how many will look the other way when others are doing it. I've had employees who were personal friends steal from me. It sucks and it happens, so if the owner wants to be the only one handling cash, I don't blame them.

If a field is not very busy, getting a group of renters coming to play is great. Having a few gear owners "drop-in" and shoot them up, may hurt the field more than it helps.

Maybe suggest that the field open one or two specific days per month (i.e. 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month) for gear owner drop-ins. Then start spreading the word among the local gear owners and see if you can get enough players together to make it worthwhile for the field to be open. Once these things catch on, sometimes they take off and get a momentum of their own.

Running a field that is not well attended is difficult and hard to keep afloat. It's difficult to balance convenience for the customer with keeping costs in check.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone