mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
It'll be interesting to see what that's about. There's a reason the former field owner left the site with his successful business. I can't imagine the new field owner is doing too much with the property since I don't think he's gong to be able to be there for very long.
I heard they'll have about four months before the bulldozers roll in and turn the field into condos and a strip mall. Seems like a waste of investment.

SZ

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ml#post2349991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
...this is MCB, no such thing as excessive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTarget View Post
You will not have a wallet shortly, just shipping receipts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes View Post
Back in my day zombies didnít run. They walked. Uphill. In the snow. They ate what brains they could find and they liked it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaWookie151 View Post
I get bored, like really bored. So I like to make siege weapons.
SPLATTER-ZONED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:56 AM   #42 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLATTER-ZONED View Post
I heard they'll have about four months before the bulldozers roll in and turn the field into condos and a strip mall. Seems like a waste of investment.

SZ
That is what I heard as well.. I heard they are going month to month and can end it any time they want. Not how I would run a business.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:15 AM   #43 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage 01 View Post
That is what I heard as well.. I heard they are going month to month and can end it any time they want. Not how I would run a business.
Definitely weird. They must have been really desperate to get into the Vancouver market. But they do have a big bankroll behind them. They are probably the biggest paintball company in the world.
Horizon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:49 AM   #44 (permalink)
MCB Member

They tried to buy a couple of fields in Alberta but it did not work out for them. I don't think there is any field in Alberta that will use them. The fields in Alberta all stand together when crap like this goes on.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 AM   #45 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
It is amazing how many kijiji adds they have here in ontario.

Plus dozens more of people who are trying to off load the tickets for cheap as well.
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:55 PM   #46 (permalink)
Phantom Lords

CCM Fan
good video. as you were describing the "hypothetical field" in the beginning, i was matching it up almost 100% with my home field. thing is, i think they actually have pretty fair pricing and work extremely hard. most of their work, though, is stuff that is aimed at maintaining the regular crowd. changing/improving fields, mostly. the field paint is garbage, but sundays are byop and a lot of the regs do so. its a fun and friendly environment, which i think helps with new players, but there's a lot that could be done as far as initial presentation, and one of the main desk guys (handles sign-in and paint) is, to put it nicely, not exactly a people person.....

my feedback
Reloadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:12 PM   #47 (permalink)
Old Fat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloadro View Post
good video. as you were describing the "hypothetical field" in the beginning, i was matching it up almost 100% with my home field. thing is, i think they actually have pretty fair pricing and work extremely hard. most of their work, though, is stuff that is aimed at maintaining the regular crowd. changing/improving fields, mostly. the field paint is garbage, but sundays are byop and a lot of the regs do so. its a fun and friendly environment, which i think helps with new players, but there's a lot that could be done as far as initial presentation, and one of the main desk guys (handles sign-in and paint) is, to put it nicely, not exactly a people person.....
Im working on a follow up vlog. I will be out next week.

The thing is..you are lucky. Outside of the US, there less than a small handful of fields that do BYOP. Im including Australia, Canada, UK and Europe. Its just not done.

Also, $170 for a case is the going rate. Australia can get up to $300 a case.

If you can do BYOP, then the question is how can they fix up the facilities.

It all comes down to are you getting a service equal to the money you pay.

So it does sound like you are getting the value you would expect?
gmore70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:15 PM   #48 (permalink)
pants sold separately

I understand the initial turn-off to newcomers of having facilities like the one you described, but that's what I grew up with and what I've come to love. Every bump in that path to the field is one more reminder of the fun that we're going to have for the rest of the day, all the cars parked randomly is a good joke that we share, the makeshift office in a shipping container buried in the side of a hill is like the oasis in the desert.

I love bringing new players to the sport, and these types of fields aren't for them, but I do think they have a place at least in my heart they do
Pantsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #49 (permalink)
P0E
Banned

I started those later "BYOGear" fields so I could use my own stuff, so I understand the rental-only apprehension. Although there's no reason the two models couldn't be combined. In fact the only key aspect was that renters were isolated and hourly field fee is the only pricing control.

Simply start with the rental only model and isolate "Renters" and "advanced" players. Renters can opt to play with these advanced players, but never the other way around. Limited consumables still applies. There's no reason you couldn't setup a different 'practice' pricing structure for tourney players either.

So you have your own gear, show up to find only renters. Toss your stuff in the car and play an hour or two of rental. Enough people with gear show up so you can use your stuff. You convince them to allow you and your buddy to play with the gear you brought.. essentially making them play BYOG.. or they want to play in larger groups... Either way, you're paying the same hourly rate and the field owner is making the same income.

This happened frequently when we transitioned from pump to semi. A small number of repeat customers wanted to play with their new guns. We simply asked the renters and if the teams were balanced they were typically all for it. Funny side effect was that those semi guns got passed around based on who had paint, really boosted camaraderie. The kid who hid behind bunkers all day was suddenly Rambo for twenty glorious minutes.

Regarding paint consumption... It was fascinating for us to observe players automatically compensating for the paint rations. We also allowed dead players to leave their paint AND gear back at their starting point. This feature alone was huge. It caused automatic game regulation so each game was always close and rarely ever ended from full elimination.
P0E is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone