mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
Nerd

Send a message via AIM to Diomedes

I've never heard of the 'you must be within x distance of your marker' rule outside of tournament play, so my inclination would be that it's kosher. Especially in walk-on woodsball, it's not uncommon for a runner to leave their gun when they go for a flag or something. If you can leave it in such a way that deceives the opponent, well done.

ZDF42 #61 "Darwin"
Zombie Defense Dispatches <--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, odds and ends. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback
Diomedes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #22 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by leathalh View Post
Sweet, hey george, over there man. FREE MARKER!!!!
last supergame (biggest game on west coast, 1200+ players)
somebody put their phantom down and ran off doin somethin on the field during the night game, the game ended and it sat there unclaimed, my little brother found it, brought it to my booth and it sat there for a few hours until we could find the guy who set it down....

if your at an event THAT big, i'd never walkway (or out of eyesight) of my gun

now i've brought 2 guns on a field, and left one at a start station before (to swap a gun between rounds, or loan it out to somebody), but normally thats small field, small group, etc
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #23 (permalink)

Great responses and yeah legality depends on ref discretion but it's fun to know how everyone else would perceive it. Also as a theft deterent Bike lock to a tree. This method could also act as a lesson to a player who bonus balls maybe
Duybuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #24 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
i dont see how its ref discretion, looks like a clear out to me.

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #25 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
Ask the ref. I've played many fields and everything changes depending on who and where you play.

^this^

this is what I have done when dropping empty pod packs / primary paintgun and switching to my backup . . . "hey ref, this is all empty and I'm leaving it here!" *waves unmarked gear at a ref*

funny footnote - this is how I met BretG in person for the first time. I cleared it with a ref and then dumped my empty podpack and F2 illustrator and tore off down the field with just a top tube PG and a few tubes of paint. All of the sudden another ref was screaming and running after me. turns out it was BretG

"hey player!! STOP! is that a PG?!"

why, yes it is

we proceeded to start chatting paintguns behind a bunker until the battle washed back over us

TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
here's your chance to be cool like Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BigDaddyBeavis

as there are no hard and fast "rules" outside of competitive (tournament) situations or organized games (scenarios), each ref and field (and player) may see it differently. if it wasn't a competitive scenario with clearly detailed rules, just remember the one rule that rules them all... the ref's call on the field stands! i don't know any refs that would call that a hit in a private group or a laid-back "everybody for the most part knows everybody" open play game, but i also don't know any refs that would NOT call it a hit in a tournament. again, the rule of thumb is that the ref is the final arbiter of all rules disputes while on the field. so whatever he said that day? that's what it is. No ref? play paper-rock-scissors for it (or the slightly more daring rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock).

My MCB Feedback

Wildcat Paintball | Paintball Outfitters | CCM | PB Customz | One Shot Wonders

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
BigDaddyBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #27 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-SHOOTIST View Post
A National Tournament in the mid-eighties was decided on just such incident.
-Similarly, there was an article in an early magazine (I think Paintcheck) that talked about how "modern" rules had come about. One example they gave was a big tournament (this being back in the 10-round tube and Bushmaster pump days) where one team noted that the rules explicitly said that a mark anywhere on a player or his equipment counted as an 'out'.

Their first game, they ran around shooting the other team's discarded tubes, then telling the refs to pull that player.

And it worked. While the refs agreed that was an unnecessary "letter of the law" situation, according to the rules it counted.

At most of the fields I've played at, the general consensus is that any equipment you leave behind, be it a pod or marker, is "abandoned" and can't be picked back up 'til the end of the game. You're welcome to set your marker down and make a banzai run for the flag, but if you don't make it (and aren't eliminated) you can't go back for it.

The local tourney rules have it so if a pod is dropped, if it's hit after being dropped/abandoned, if a player then picks it up, he's automatically eliminated.

For the rec players, one of the common things for a brand-new player to say is that he'll just pick up a bunker (small pallet, piece of plywood, etc.) and run, using it as a shield. We usually tell 'im "you're welcome to do that, if you want, but once you pick it up it becomes part of your equipment. So as soon as somebody shoots it again, you're out."

Doc.
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:01 AM   #28 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to zenmic Send a message via MSN to zenmic Send a message via Yahoo to zenmic

Duybuin, at the field where you did this, what was the result? Did the other play gripe because of your sneaky bastard tactics? Did you get a clean elemination? Did the ref call you out because your marker was shot up, away from your person?
zenmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #29 (permalink)

As opening post states I was just thinking about this havnt done it yet
Duybuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
Nerd

Send a message via AIM to Diomedes

I guess my understanding of 'dropping your gear' allowances is more permissive than what most people go by. I've definitely left my gun to run for a flag, grabbed the flag, ran back to my gun, and picked my gun back up for the trip back to my base. Would I have been out if my gun had been hit while I didn't have it? I wouldn't think so. Yes, gear hits count, but if you leave it behind, it's not part of your gear until you pick it back up.

If people who leave a gun are out if it takes a hit and they pick it up again, I should just shoot the flag right away in capture the flag games. We all agree, I think, that if you have the flag, and it gets hit, you're out. By these rules, if I shoot the flag, any opponent that grabs it is out because of that hit, even though it occurred when the flag was not in their possession. That doesn't make sense.

I get that tournaments have a different set of rules. Can't leave things behind except for pods, must be within a certain distance of your marker, etc. But for walk-on ball, I've never really thought of any of that stuff applying.

ZDF42 #61 "Darwin"
Zombie Defense Dispatches <--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, odds and ends. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback
Diomedes is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone