mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #71 (permalink)
MCB Member

Oh man, best wishes to you Ty! Health is number one!

I think we're misunderstanding each other on the barrel thing. I appreciate that you're making barrels you can give up for testing.

What I'm suggesting is, when you're feeling better, take a barrel you already have for one of your markers and hone it. Not for science but just so you'll know I'm not putting you on.

Once you say you've honed a barrel and shot it(you needn't make any other comment either for or against), I'll feel completely safe that this subject is in good hands.

Casper,
That's no back order, it's a battle station. Oh wait, I mean it's a Special order.
It took them almost 20 years to sell the first 2 of these(both were to me), in 07 when I got my second one they added them to the website. Since 07 only Rogue and BiteWeasel and a few others have ordered them.
Even though they're listed normally, they are a 7-8 week special order.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #72 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Oh... I must be having one of them thar senior moments

I will run it through one of the barrels I have that should perform better, but isn't.

Some results tomorrow evening.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Current Freak compatible inserts in stock:
.665 = 0, .670 = 16, .675 = 3, .678 = 4, .680 = 4, .682 = 4, .685 = 11

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:19 AM   #73 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
Oh man, best wishes to you Ty! Health is number one!

I think we're misunderstanding each other on the barrel thing. I appreciate that you're making barrels you can give up for testing.

What I'm suggesting is, when you're feeling better, take a barrel you already have for one of your markers and hone it. Not for science but just so you'll know I'm not putting you on.

Once you say you've honed a barrel and shot it(you needn't make any other comment either for or against), I'll feel completely safe that this subject is in good hands.

Casper,
That's no back order, it's a battle station. Oh wait, I mean it's a Special order.
It took them almost 20 years to sell the first 2 of these(both were to me), in 07 when I got my second one they added them to the website. Since 07 only Rogue and BiteWeasel and a few others have ordered them.
Even though they're listed normally, they are a 7-8 week special order.

Rob
I got mine and I am impressed. Used it on my t8 stock barrel. What a difference you can see the improvement on the finish and shooting great buy !! Doing my freaks now too!!
casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #74 (permalink)
MCB Member

The joints where sections meet is the most important spot Casper. When I do a freak kit for someone, I put the barrel together and give the whole thing 5-10 strokes with each insert in.

I'm glad you like it! For some tips I think are helpful please scope out the "how to get the most from your newly honed pistol" thread that's stickied in the sidearm section!

Rob

Old 04-14-2013, 06:15 AM   #75 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Did a bit of unscientific testing tonight. Found out that the hone doesn't seem to have any effects on brass barrels, as I feel brass maybe too soft to allow for the polishing action of the hone.

We run the hone through a stock Axe barrel. There was a noticeable change in the finish. The stock finish was hazy. After a careful polishing, the finish was more mirror like. We also noted that the barrel felt slicker to the touch. Unfortunately, due at least in part to some poor paint, the test was inconclusive in the eyes of the group of observers.

We all did note that the brass barrel I tested seemed to "shoot with less velocity", though according to the chronograph, nothing had changed. Shots simply seemed to fall off more rapidly. I attribute this effect not so much to the hone, but to the probability I did not get an even polish on the barrel. Unfortunately, no one though to grab the high speed camera and look for ball spin, until after the light had faded.

I can see this being a very useful tool for dealing with barrels of dubious quality.

Testing conditions:
Outdoors.
Light winds under 10 mph
Target was 150' away. Measured with a tape.
Markers Dm9 and Axe. The DM9 is well broken in. The Axe was brand new.
Paint... Valken Infinity

More as I feel better

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Old 04-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #76 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymcneer View Post
Did a bit of unscientific testing tonight. Found out that the hone doesn't seem to have any effects on brass barrels, as I feel brass maybe too soft to allow for the polishing action of the hone.

We run the hone through a stock Axe barrel. There was a noticeable change in the finish. The stock finish was hazy. After a careful polishing, the finish was more mirror like. We also noted that the barrel felt slicker to the touch. Unfortunately, due at least in part to some poor paint, the test was inconclusive in the eyes of the group of observers.

We all did note that the brass barrel I tested seemed to "shoot with less velocity", though according to the chronograph, nothing had changed. Shots simply seemed to fall off more rapidly. I attribute this effect not so much to the hone, but to the probability I did not get an even polish on the barrel. Unfortunately, no one though to grab the high speed camera and look for ball spin, until after the light had faded.

I can see this being a very useful tool for dealing with barrels of dubious quality.

Testing conditions:
Outdoors.
Light winds under 10 mph
Target was 150' away. Measured with a tape.
Markers Dm9 and Axe. The DM9 is well broken in. The Axe was brand new.
Paint... Valken Infinity

More as I feel better

Ty
I'm new to all this honing business but have read all if Rob's thread on it. If what you say about the brass barrels not taking the honing well, then did you essentially compared a honed to an unhoned barrel? If so and you noticed chrono velocity at the muzzle to be to same with each barrel but you noticed more distance from the honed barrel, would that lend credence to Rob's theory that honing reduces the amount of turbulent forces behind the ball resulting in longer flight? I could be way off here, but just reading about what honing is supposed to do and reading your results here is interesting.

Looks like I need to buy a hone!!!
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #77 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Actually... The velocity was the same, but the distance was shorter, hence my comments regarding spin and uneven polishing.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Old 04-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #78 (permalink)
MCB Member

Mmmm, my personal fear is this is a symptom of the worn condition of that hone. It should produce the same appearance in brass that it does in aluminum. I've done brass before, aargh.
Same velocity and less range means something is spinning. Either short ones topspinning or long ones backspinning.

Rob.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:17 AM   #79 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Based on the shots being shorter, I was assuming top spin. I have a 1000 fps camera and I will try to get some footage on Wednesday.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Old 04-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #80 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

So Ty,

You are saying that only the brass barrel (vice the stock Axe barrel) was producing dropoff?

Could this be attributed to differences in bore size?

Also, any updates on further testing?

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone