mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
"dual-wield" is what I say/do.
same
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

Diomedes, my pleasure.

Moses, if COD used that term, and were the first, then that would be interesting. A popular game, misusing a word, and it catches on.

Whiteout, the figure you have posted is not standing akimbo, and is not preparing to shoot akimbo. He is using the same gesture required to stick the hands into the pockets. Elbows back, hand at the ready for quick-drawing, and the quick-draw position itself, is not akimbo.

Perhaps slinky fashion models might stand with their hands on hips with elbows to the rear, but no one else does.

Akimbo means the elbows are out. The only way to even approach the akimbo position might be in a double cross-draw situation (no real [successful] gunfighter would do this, ergo the concept is probably more a Hollywood convention than anything else), but the moment of actual akimbo would be a matter of fractions of a second.

You cross the arms (not akimbo), you grab the guns (not akimbo), you yank the arms apart to clear the guns from each other (akimbo!), you prepare to shoot (not akimbo). If there is a moment of akimbo in the process, it is entirely incidental. You could never actually fight that way.

The physical geometry of the akimbo stance would render it difficult if not impossible to actually hit anything. Do the chicken dance with pistols, and you get the idea.

Redcon, You are correct to say that the Florentine style originally developed as a primary/secondary style, but it has come to refer generally to any two-hand, two weapon style, at least as I understand it. If someone says they play Florentine, using identical pistols, I completely understand what they mean, because the usage is technically correct (after all, they aren't using blades, but that was a convention of the times when the term was first used).

But when someone says they adopt an akimbo style on the field, I start thinking, "So . . . you are a ref?"

PistolRogue, you have refrained the COD source. Perhaps that is the culprit. But if so, how could they have made such an error? Seems like there has to be something else at work.

Then again, it might be as simple as the 'owned/pwned' mistake.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

I don't know.....

Jake drew two guns elbows out and it was not cross the body

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g2en7CTUk8

just sayin' :P
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
I am stuck on bandaid...

Definitely do NOT put it past infinity ward to have made a mistake in terminology. As I recall, there were more than one of those types of errors in each of their games.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
Diomedes, my pleasure.

Moses, if COD used that term, and were the first, then that would be interesting. A popular game, misusing a word, and it catches on.
The first time I recall seeing the term used in this context was in the instruction booklet for the PC game "Blood" in 1997.
There was a powerup you could pick up that would give you two tommy guns or shotguns or whatever.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Holy **** Blood was one of the first shooters I played as a child. Thanks for taking me back.

Quote:
I see it more as the norm of English. Use a word long enough incorrectly and M-W will adopt it. Words like "irregardless", which are double negatives are now widely accepted as correct.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I've heard the term used for quite a while, though originally I heard it in reference to Hong Kong action movies, namely John Woo films. Didn't even know it was an English word until now.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jerry View Post
I don't know.....

Jake drew two guns elbows out and it was not cross the body

just sayin' :P

Not quite. Check it out in frame stop. No real akimbo there.

And even if there was, that would still not be fighting 'akimbo'.

Akimbo is akimbo when the elbows are out, pointed away from one another, and the hands are in, toward one another.

Anything else is missing the meaning of the word.

This is akimbo:

And this:

And this:

And this:

Not this:

Or this:

Or this:

Sincera,

'Irregardless' may be used, but is not accepted by any literate persons of whom I'm aware.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by Menace; 02-27-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I blame this for the useage. I think it is just part of the evolving english language. New meanings for words are made up all the time, whether they make logical sense or not. After all, this is 'Murica.

pew pew
JasonSaastad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:50 AM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSaastad View Post
I blame this for the useage. I think it is just part of the evolving english language. New meanings for words are made up all the time, whether they make logical sense or not. After all, this is 'Murica.
Bit late to blame that. TV Tropes picked up the term there from the common description used for Hong Kong Action Theater movies, especially John Woo's stuff in the 80's.

Yeah, 'tis a slang term. They don't have to make logical sense.
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone