mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
Sherwood Forest Paintball, 2013

I just read on "That other paintball site," that Sherwood Forest Paintball in Indiana, will not be hosting any big games this year due to low numbers last year. This upsets me greatly, as it is my favorite field in the US, and I have been playing there for 20 years.

From the Sherwood website, it looks like Airsoft is taking over there. I'm pissed!

Rocking it for the Fringe Division!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fring...616810?fref=ts
Broch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Yes, several on our team were looking forward to traveling out there this summer for a game. We will not, however, travel for walk-on play. I believe they are looking at geting back into some big games in 2014 but we will see. If Airsoft takes over all the big games, you won't be alone in being upset!

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah Sherwood was one of the best fields i have played at.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Sounds like we all need to make a few road trips to Sherwood Forest to help boost the numbers!
Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Airsoft? Really? I always thought of airsoft as a stepping stone to paintball for little kids. Its like learning to ride a bike then you move up to operating motorized transportation. I'm from Oklahoma so we don't see grownups playing airsoft. The oldest would be teenagers and those are few and far between. Please don't tell me that there is parts of this Country where adults actually do play this instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredxcam View Post
Always. This is like an old folks home
My Feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html My link sucks. This is why I operate a CNC machine instead of program one.
Wildgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Miembro de MCB

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Actually, it had nothing to do with holding airsoft events.

They actually mentioned that there was such huge demand for private and walk-on groups, that it actually made more sense for them to run all their weekends that way as opposed to holding scenarios or big-games.

I don't mean this in a nasty way, but what that means (translated) is that they were making more money off walk-ons and private groups than they were making from attendance at scenarios/big-games.
alkafluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgoat View Post
Airsoft? Really? I always thought of airsoft as a stepping stone to paintball for little kids. Its like learning to ride a bike then you move up to operating motorized transportation. I'm from Oklahoma so we don't see grownups playing airsoft. The oldest would be teenagers and those are few and far between. Please don't tell me that there is parts of this Country where adults actually do play this instead.
Our field ran a couple days for airsoft players...man I just don't get the appeal. We put them on one of our smaller fields, games usually run real quick because there's lots of cover to move between and it's fairly tight quarters. You know how when a rental party goes out to play speedball and it ends up being two guys in the back bunkers who never move and sit there until you just call the game? That's how they ALL played. They all ran to the nearest bunker and the start of the game and "sniped" from that bunker. I think one player moved the entire game.
fullofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

i live about 30 minutes away from sherwood..the rumor i caught was they were doing a lot of "larp"
plan_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
I'm just so surprised that Joe would do this, especially after all of his long diatribes over how he built that field for the players, and it would continue to be that way. Sherwood was someplace I would go and make an entire weekend out of. It defined for me what paintball was all about. Great woods, great people, great food, and an awesome time. It was also a reasonable distance for me to drive to. No other field I have been to compares, and I've been to some of the biggest.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkafluence View Post
Actually, it had nothing to do with holding airsoft events.

They actually mentioned that there was such huge demand for private and walk-on groups, that it actually made more sense for them to run all their weekends that way as opposed to holding scenarios or big-games.

I don't mean this in a nasty way, but what that means (translated) is that they were making more money off walk-ons and private groups than they were making from attendance at scenarios/big-games.
I can appreciate that Joe wants to make money, who doesn't? I also know that as an adult with responsibilities, I have a limited number of weekends out of the year that I can spend away from my family. I won't spend the time and energy to drive all the way to Sherwood for walk on play. With a lot of the big games in the past you could count on guys from GLR and Damage to be there, along with countless other teams that are class acts to play alongside.

I live an hour from CPX, and have always chosen NOT to go to legends, because I preferred to go to Sherwood for their big game that was in a similar time frame.

I guess I'll be taking a hard look at Hell Survivors as a new venue.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone