mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #21 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Because I wear little padding, I typically won't call myself on bounces anymore (used to, and will with rentals and stuff).

T-shirt, shorts, and hard knee pads for sliding. If it bounced, I got lucky for once.

It's even the way some of equipment is designed for me....like padded pants:

To me, this is DESIGNED to be as huge and as loose as possible, yes I know to promote bounces. If you're in it for the money (ha, good luck) I get it. Rec ball it's not necessary...especially when I see people in ones that are in sizes too big to up the looseness.
cdrinkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #22 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

I may come accross as a bit of an *** here but, I hate padded shirts, frequently marketed as "Bounce Shirts". This game has just fallen so far from how it started. It started and as adult males we didn't want to get to get shot. It was something we sought to avoid. It's what separated the regulars from the 'crazies'. The crazies would be the one to dive into the sights of 4+ follks to try and force a break in the line. Sometimes he'd succede, sometimes he didn't but, he always got shot up. and he'd be fine with it the rest of us would be like, 'no way, I'm not doing that'.

Now, it's like a lot of folks wants to be able to do the daring / reckless move and have padding to make them more comfortable with it. In other words, they want to play like they do in COD/MW/HALO and not have to suffer the consequences.

Add the 'semi-auto' only rule while allowing two finger electros and too many folks feel like their getting lit up excessively (compared to how much they themselves are shooting) and they begin to seek protection.

Then, those seeing the reduction in breaks that occur on people wearing them begin to seek them out for themselves. This is why the number of bounce shirt models have exploded in the last five years. ROF hasn't increased, in tournament play, it's actually decreased.

I only accept/understand their use in close quarters (i.e. CQB, speedball, etc) where they 'take the sting out of a shot' while still allowing a break. I despise their use in woodsball as I believe it has an impact on the often longer range shots.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
I only accept/understand their use in close quarters (i.e. CQB, speedball, etc) where they 'take the sting out of a shot' while still allowing a break. I despise their use in woodsball as I believe it has an impact on the often longer range shots.
I still feel they're bull**** for that.

On speedball fields here, we're shooting 275fps. That's significantly slower, with thinner shelled paint, than we were getting bunkered with ten years ago.

It still doesn't hurt that bad unless you encourage the idea of lighting up someone who can't see you with 10+ shots from three feet away as 'bunkering'. At best, they serve to give players a dangerously reduced idea of how much the shots they're putting out hurt, and give them the confidence that overshooting is 'no big thing'.
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

I agree with past 2 comments (UV and Whiteout). I will honestly throw ghillie's in there too for rec play. There is no reason for a ghillie suit during a game of walk-ons. The only reason people are using them is because of the increased bounce factor. That is why so many use them in scenarios as well. When you see the ghillie guy running with his friends and jumping into the fire fight then you know that the suit is a bounce suit and not being used for hiding.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #25 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Sometimes padding can be a good thing.

Feedback
The Flounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #26 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

I get an abnormal amount of bounces off of:

1. Plain old camo
2. Fat people

Oh Hell, I might as well add the third in there as well:

3. Skinny people

As the end result is the same, I see no reason to make a distinction between them and whatever other "bounce" clothing you guys want to try to single out.

"Intent" as a measure, in life and general, is worthless.

It's the result that counts.

It's inconsistent (and probably hypocritical) to be picky and choosy about which "bounce" layer you are against, and which bounce layers are "OK".

And when you make "intent" the dividing line... well, now you have TWO problems.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #27 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

For me it's clear- if it's not to protect your bones, joints, crotch, or neck, padding should not be allowed.

I agree with Brother Jerry in regards to Ghillie's in recball. That being said, my mask does help me (with an FS gun, I'm not running and jumping into firefights) but, I've designed t in such a way that it is no more than a fishnet like material, and the equivalent of no more than two small leaves (die cut vinyl) between my head (or the Flex 8) and the ball.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #28 (permalink)
pump snob

op: no pods. no pads. 100 round max. problem solved.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #29 (permalink)
Nerd=Geek

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I wear a cup, elbow and knee pads and a pair of gloves. No other padding at all.

Personally, I think padding is lame. It's one thing if you're new and you aren't used to getting hit so you wear some padding but if you know what you're doing, don't wear it. If someone persists on becoming the Michelin Man, shoot them in the gogs. Nice, hard surface right there. Or the gun.

Andry : )

Proud member of The Peacekeepers, UMSG JTF7, Rogue Cell #12 and CCABB

My Feedback Soft and Hard gear F/S! Got cigar tubes?
CrazyBoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBoy78 View Post
I wear a cup, elbow and knee pads and a pair of gloves. No other padding at all.

Personally, I think padding is lame. It's one thing if you're new and you aren't used to getting hit so you wear some padding but if you know what you're doing, don't wear it. If someone persists on becoming the Michelin Man, shoot them in the gogs. Nice, hard surface right there. Or the gun.
Hopper if you can manage it, especially if they've got an open-top cram loader.
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone