mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Bounce Padding as a Tactic

This subject has come up in the pre season for our little group. We just started an "organized" paintball group of about 50 people in our area last year. Its a private outlaw field. Kids on up playing every other weekend all summer.

There is no previous paintball culture in the area so its all developing organically with only a few players who web surf paintball related info. This is the back woods of paintball right now. Most just load up the family and come play/eat/drink on the weekends.

What some players have discovered is that baggy cloths (very little actual paintball jerseys), padding (vests, pads, home made) combined with cheap paint (20$ case stuff is rampant) results in LOTS of bounces. In some cases you HAVE to hit the mask or gear/marker to get a break.

Combine this with over shooting... result of new players buying auto/ramping guns and cheap paint (getting better with experience, but always new players coming)... and there is going to be an enormous amount of padding in play this year.

As the organizer/field owner I am cool with whatever keeps people playing and happy (its outlaw, no charge, no profit, etc...) but I wanted the seasoned paintball cultures take on extreme bounce padding.

I see it as a result of people reacting to over shooting and as actually using it as a tactic to keep in play. I play dual old school pistols myself, charging into modified Tippy A5s on a field lacking enough cover (this year it has gotten thicker). I had lots of time to chill on the sidelines until I tried some bounce gear myself. My lifespan got longer and I surprised the junk paint sprayers by running through ropes and bunkering lots of them.

It might not be cool, macho, or it even might be cheese, but in this little experiment it seems to work.

I am going to enjoy watching how things evolve this season. We should see an arms race... more expensive paint to get more breaks? And I know there are going to be at least 2 First Strike markers in play. But I have also noticed a lot of people ordering paintball specific high quality padding.

So, is bounce gear cheating? Is it just a reaction to over shooting? Is it a viable tactic? Is it cheese? It it super un cool?
SamAreI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamAreI View Post
As the organizer/field owner I am cool with whatever keeps people playing and happy (its outlaw, no charge, no profit, etc...) but I wanted the seasoned paintball cultures take on extreme bounce padding.

So, is bounce gear cheating? Is it just a reaction to over shooting? Is it a viable tactic? Is it cheese? It it super un cool?
i say it's a viable tactic, but also super uncool.

now, why would people buy super hard paint? they WANT their paint to break on the opponent's padding right? they should be buying the brittlest paint they have. you could offer it at your field to counter the padding, because you obviously are looking for ways to beat it if you're asking here.

if you find in the future that the arms race has caused too much paint in the air, and is scaring away newcomers, you can always mandate hopper ball.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

For me its like this, I get shot I'm out. I don't care if the ball doesn't actually break. If I feel it hit then back to reinsertion point or dead box. There are people who don't do that and it sucks because, you know and they know it was a clean hit.
To me its about integrity and sportsmanship. I do not, however, count splatter because, that is not me being hit by the ball but, merely objects around me taking the hits and deflecting paint.
I personally hate padding. This body armor stuff is a load of crap and is just as bad as wipers(IMO). The best way to take out a juggernaut in Call of Duty is head shots. The same goes for all the padded players wanting to be juggernauts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredxcam View Post
Always. This is like an old folks home
My Feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html My link sucks. This is why I operate a CNC machine instead of program one.
Wildgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgoat View Post
To me its about integrity and sportsmanship. I do not, however, count splatter because, that is not me being hit by the ball but, merely objects around me taking the hits and deflecting paint.
i think that quarter size splatter rule is mostly there to make the ref's job easy. they have it hard enough already. i follow it.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
i think that quarter size splatter rule is mostly there to make the ref's job easy. they have it hard enough already. i follow it.
I'm referring to outlaw play because, of the OP. If a ref were to say I'm out then yeah. I would follow his rule. I don't think I've ever had a splatter to be that big though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredxcam View Post
Always. This is like an old folks home
My Feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html My link sucks. This is why I operate a CNC machine instead of program one.

Last edited by Wildgoat; 03-07-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Wildgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Predatory Bird Oculus

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I think it's stupid to wear a ****-ton of padding, just for the purpose of increasing bounces. According to the rules of tourney (and most organized rec play), bounces don't count. Therefore, wearing extra padding to promote bounces is as good as cheating. Just my two cents.

Hawkeye20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

There's wearing padding to protect oneself, and then there's wearing excessive padding and being a douche.

I wear one of those padded Dye underarmor-ish shirts under my jersey to keep the welts down a bit (I bruise easily, apparently), but it's thin enough that shots will still break on me approximately 50% of the time on the areas the shirt covers.

I've seen people go out on the field in parkas like the Juggernauts from Call of Duty and that crap is just lame...
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
all work

This is an interesting subject. I don't mind the sting of a paintball or two, it just heightens the tension that extra measure. I don't like getting hosed at close range by a ramping rope of hurt.

I think the no break = stay in rule causes more problems for rec players than it solves. I leave the field if I feel a hit or even if another player feels strongly that they hit me. I'd rather have fun than win.

I'm typically outgunned with nothing but my T8 and a training knife so I armor up. Helmet, knee pads, elbow pads and soon some sort of chest and thigh protection. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of playing only with people I know. I'd rather be safe than bleeding.

I think bounce padding is bad for sport but in a game of honor amongst friends it shouldn't ever be an issue. Fat people get more bounces than lean. Maybe I just need another sandwich to be competitive.
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
It's your field so you set the rules. If you are sick of ramping then don't allow it and mandate hopper ball or hopper plus one. Same goes for excessive padding, unless they are young'uns then only elbow/forearm pads and knee pads are allowed. I play a lot of outlaw and one big rule is no Monster Ball aka cheap a$$ paint is allowed, the organizers will sit you out if you are using it and they know you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
I wear one of those padded Dye underarmor-ish shirts under my jersey to keep the welts down a bit (I bruise easily, apparently), but it's thin enough that shots will still break on me approximately 50% of the time on the areas the shirt covers.
and 50% of the time the padded shirt saves you from being 'HIT'..
do you play on then?

alot of fields & players frown on ghillie suits for the same reason,if you feel you've been hit in one you should count it as a hit.

here's what I wear,I bruise easy too. jk
Brassballs is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone