mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Barned

I think it's time for a change....get a site web. Seriously though, if maintaining your website isn't too much work I suggest you'd keep it up. Are you just not getting much traffic?
I see an agglet and I want to paint it black...
...or yellow, orange, green; whatever the field paint is that day.
Bloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Machinist

Send a message via AIM to KPCS Send a message via Yahoo to KPCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloop View Post
I think it's time for a change....get a site web. Seriously though, if maintaining your website isn't too much work I suggest you'd keep it up. Are you just not getting much traffic?
Traffic... Don't know I keep getting hacked.
So I haven't had it up for almost a year now.
I was going to start working on but the question came up.
Do I need one or not.
Since facebook and forums and that are web sites needed?

Ken W
I have come here to chew bubblegum & kick @$$ and I'm all out of bubblegum ......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jPG_JEyt-M
KPCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Yes websites are still needed if you are trying to be professional.

Facebook...people will only find you if you are friended with others who have contacted you....in other words you will only show up to those who already know about you....no new contacts there or very limited..
Forums...many require people to be registered to see BST style forum posts or to respond or send PM's. You have to ensure that the post is updated in order for people to feel it is still valid...no one is going to follow up on a 2 year old post. Plus people go to Google to search, not forums.

And that is the key...when people are looking for a certain item that they want to buy, they go to Google. You have to think of what will show up on Google, and facebook pages and forum posts don't. You have to think of forums and Facebook as advertising outlets....they are media to get your message or brand out. But your website is your home, it is the final authority on all things about you. Because you update it and you maintain it then you are responsible for the content. If you advertise on jimmyspaintball.com and say your post gets "edited" by a PO'd admin. He puts $1 on all of your products. Guess who's name looks like mud when you try and tell customers that your price is not $1. Customers don't care about your petty problems with forum admins or things like that....and you have no repercussions other than to turn customers away just because some PO'd admin screwed with you. With your web page you get to put up the pricing and things like that....if you get hacked you get to take your site down and put a temporary page....you can explain that much better to customers than trying to get dramatic about an admin. Plus if it is your website on your servers and you are maintaining them, then you may also have legal actions you can take against hackers. If you are paying someone to host it securely and they fail, you can also have legal actions that way as well.

You don't put anything on an advertising outlet that is not also on your web page. If you want to offer Facebook "friends" a discount you also mention that on your website. The website is the final authority however for any disputes.

However, if this is just a hobby and you are doing for a few extra bucks on the side....then it really does not matter.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jerry View Post
I actually look down on the entire paintball industry for how terrible reputable companies websites are. I mean look at AGD (i realize they're just a former shell of themselves, but at least for nostalgias sake update your website!), Ininity, Tadao, CCM (an ebay store? really? Are the ebay fees what makes your products so expensive?) All have crap websites. Maybe not being able to capture the younger audience who does a lot of web surfing before they buy is reason so many companies are going out of business.

Even Bob Long and Planet Eclipse, despite being top companies still have lame templates.

With companies going out of business left and right when someone goes under or gets bought out the URL just goes dead. I mean web hosting is so cheap, you can't have the purchaser hotlink to the new company, or at least leave your website in place for your loyal customers to download manuals or software updates (Angel and others)?

So that being said I don't think having a professional website is as important as it is in other industries.

I will say I'm amazed at how professional avratech's website is for such a small company. It even lets you customize a marker and add it to your checkout.
Avratech Industries Inc. | Home of the Retro 7 Pistol
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jerry View Post

Facebook...people will only find you if you are friended with others who have contacted you....in other words you will only show up to those who already know about you....no new contacts there or very limited..
Forums...many require people to be registered to see BST style forum posts or to respond or send PM's. You have to ensure that the post is updated in order for people to feel it is still valid...no one is going to follow up on a 2 year old post. Plus people go to Google to search, not forums.

And that is the key...when people are looking for a certain item that they want to buy, they go to Google. You have to think of what will show up on Google, and facebook pages and forum posts don't. You have to think of forums and Facebook as advertising outlets....they are media to get your message or brand out. But your website is your home, it is the final authority on all things about you. Because you update it and you maintain it then you are responsible for the content. If you advertise on jimmyspaintball.com and say your post gets "edited" by a PO'd admin. He puts $1 on all of your products. Guess who's name looks like mud when you try and tell customers that your price is not $1. Customers don't care about your petty problems with forum admins or things like that....and you have no repercussions other than to turn customers away just because some PO'd admin screwed with you. With your web page you get to put up the pricing and things like that....if you get hacked you get to take your site down and put a temporary page....you can explain that much better to customers than trying to get dramatic about an admin. Plus if it is your website on your servers and you are maintaining them, then you may also have legal actions you can take against hackers. If you are paying someone to host it securely and they fail, you can also have legal actions that way as well.

You don't put anything on an advertising outlet that is not also on your web page. If you want to offer Facebook "friends" a discount you also mention that on your website. The website is the final authority however for any disputes.

However, if this is just a hobby and you are doing for a few extra bucks on the side....then it really does not matter.
i have/had a website, it sucked.

i have an active fb page, 1,500 followers, average 1-2 new likes per day
i can easily upload pics from my phone
i can interact with people via comments on pictures, status, and messages

i have a mcb airsmith section, i use it ALOT and post ALOT, and i think between the 2 i have a very good base.

could it be better? yes
would i like to have a shopping cart? yes, if i had more inventory (i dont stock much)

here is what i got when i searched "super_stanchy customs" on google

super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

I suggest just starting with FB since you don't have to worry about anything except content. When you feel like you have a handle on that you can slowly work into a web site. You can't easily do day-to-day updates with interested people on a web site unless it's like a blog, but that's where FB makes it easy. Plus, it'll be a part of customers' daily routines, they don't have to go to your site every day for updates (if you tried to do that) because they get them in their FB feed.

I follow SSC because he does some awesome projects. I don't know that I'd be a good example of a customer or even a potential one, but I'm kept up to date on what he's working on and if he branches out in a way that I could use, I'll know and can act on it.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
pk5
Stardust Memory

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
I don't think you guy are addressing his original question or his need for those that keep insisting on a fancy or decent website. The thing is Ken does not stock a lot of item, nor is he expanding/manufacturing item and keep them instock to sell on a daily basis. He does have items here and there, but he is not a full manufacture. For what KPCS does, I don' think a website is necessary, not unless he is planning to focus more time and develop it into a full business where he make/sell stuff every day.

In paintball, especially for custom shop, customer services and answering question is a lot more important than having a website that doesn't do much. Apoc was looking into developing and selling the R7 and the Falcon, and I am sure Dex helped a lot to get the site to where it is at today. Does KPCS have the resources or the time/money to invest in a site? I think time would be better spend answering question instead of just to make another site and throw it out there.

CCM doesn't need a website either, they have a backlog of guns waiting to be build. If the business is already happy with where they are at and doesn't want to expand beyond what the market can support, is there even a point of having a fancy site? If you think CCM cost is expensive, try to make one and see how much time, machinery, and material you have to invest in a gun.
pk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
My 2 cents, don't make people use Facebook. Those that hate it, really hate it.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

As a person who visited your previous websites through the years, I think a FB page and a sub forum on here are suitable. It works for many other airsmiths on here that build custom guns.
I am aware of the issues you had with the site in the past, so why bother at this time?
If you ramped up production and began making guns and accessories, a website is a must.
The way that you do business now, and offer your services, a MCB page and/or FB page is enough for you to reach your audience.

My Feedback
lonegunmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegunmen View Post
As a person who visited your previous websites through the years, I think a FB page and a sub forum on here are suitable. It works for many other airsmiths on here that build custom guns.
I am aware of the issues you had with the site in the past, so why bother at this time?
If you ramped up production and began making guns and accessories, a website is a must.
The way that you do business now, and offer your services, a MCB page and/or FB page is enough for you to reach your audience.
this.

my little bro's are in DECA (business marketing competitions) they used my "website" as their project this year

they tried to compare me to ANSGear, ActionVillage, and another big name pb store site.

They said i needed to have a "shopping cart"
They said i needed to have all the guns/drop down menus/etc

I said NO.
I do customer work
I dont have much inventory
I need a place for pictures and a contact

they still used my site, still compared me to the big boys, then proceeded to make it to internationals (next month) and score super high at the other competitions

yes, all that stuff would be great, but you (and i) are not STORES
we need a spot for pretty pictures
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone