mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
As soon as the ref manipulates the player, the player is neutral. This has to be a universally accepted rule or the game becomes unfair for the player.

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Un-Active Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Lol yeah I was hit in the hopper but we wasn't playing gun hits so the new kids could stay in longer...it was a good 20 on 20 each time.

For Sale

Hawkeye20: "......Hit!..............medic..... oh God...."
pghp8ntballer: "Cause you know, first strike and flatline systems together with a scope allow you to shoot into the future."
SEFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to foldadoom

in the olden days, when tourneys where 10 man bush games, if you called a paint check and the guy was clean you where eliminated, stopped all the BS, you only called it when you where pretty damn sure they where hit or you shut up and kept playing.

my 2 cents
Old 03-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Un-Active Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
/\ that would fix the issue of calling for a paintcheck when you think the guy might have moved bunkers

For Sale

Hawkeye20: "......Hit!..............medic..... oh God...."
pghp8ntballer: "Cause you know, first strike and flatline systems together with a scope allow you to shoot into the future."
SEFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
As soon as the ref manipulates the player, the player is neutral. This has to be a universally accepted rule or the game becomes unfair for the player.
^^ This. And where I've played, if a ref is doing a paint check you don't fire on that person during the check.

In the video the ref had a hold on his arm, extended beyond the side of the bunker, for the check. Ref lets go and immediately after, but before the ref stands up announcing "he's clean!", there's the pop of the hit on that same arm. It appears to me that someone used that ref to gain an advantage and fired during the paint check.

All that said, when the OP told the ref what happened and the ref still called him out, bad call or not, start walking. OP did the right thing.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

It depends on the field and rules, really.

At one local field, if you call a paint check on yourself, you cannot move or shoot until the ref checks you. Opponents can move on you, though. So, unless you can get a very nearby ref's attention quietly, all that calling a check on yourself does is get yourself bunkered easily. (I personally find this to be a completely silly way of handling things, as it just promotes playing on if you're unsure of whether it broke or not.)

At the one I play at most of the time, you call for a paint check and keep playing/defending yourself while being checked. It's up to you to stay behind cover. Last weekend I shot a kid who was fully exposed broadside to me. I couldn't tell if it broke, he called for a paint check, I shot him again while the ref was moving toward him. By then the ref's there checking him, he's still TOTALLY exposed, and I still can't tell if either of the first two shots broke (it was all the way across the field), so I shot him two more times while the ref was right there next to him, at which point the ref obviously saw one break and pulled him. Was it cheap to shoot him while he was being checked? Maybe. But it's clearly in the rules briefing at the start of the day that you're not off-limits just because you ask for a check. He should have at the very least shifted behind the bunker instead of continuing to sit in the open next to it.

Granted, both of these examples are of calling a check on yourself. At the former field, I've never heard anyone call a check on an opponent, and at the latter, it's still the same thing; call for him to be checked, but he's still fully alive and free to shoot at you while being checked.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
WARNING:I Do Stupid $#!@

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldadoom View Post
in the olden days, when tourneys where 10 man bush games, if you called a paint check and the guy was clean you where eliminated, stopped all the BS, you only called it when you where pretty damn sure they where hit or you shut up and kept playing.

my 2 cents
I miss games like that.. ames were an hout long and had mutiple flag stations and were pump goodness. none of this spray and pray stuff.
http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=170725

My Drinking Team Has A Paintball Problem.
------
I Shot The Sheriff,The Deputy And The Ref.. But We All Knew The Ref Had It Coming.
NoX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to foldadoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoX13 View Post
I miss games like that.. ames were an hout long and had mutiple flag stations and were pump goodness. none of this spray and pray stuff.

yup cant bring back they old days, but maybe we could make people play with honor.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

I miss the games at our old outlaw field where we would check each other mid-game. I was once snapshooting across a dirt road with an opponent when we were opposite ditches. Several times each we'd get hit and not be able to tell if it broke, and since we were the only two guys in the immediate vicinity we'd just call a time out, stand up to be checked, declare each other clean, and go back to shooting.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
Future Robocop

Normally yes, if a ref asks you to get up and turn around, I would say that constitutes being neutral. Whenever I play, however, until a ref calls me out, I keep playing, and make him check around me, not giving up my position. I'm not going to give away my position and turn around to get shot by people who don't know I'm neutral. I called that way as a ref and expect no less as a player.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone