mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Old Fat Guy

Lessons or Coaching

Okay, I am working on the lessons thingy and its moving along really well. Though I wish it was going faster.

Right now I am working on the copy for the family pb site and the lesson's directory.

But I am rethinking the term lesson. While it works for talking to parents who have never played paintball, it kind of doesnt work for someone already in the sport.

I know its small, but considering the 3+ months into this project already and I am about to go live...I want to get the little things right...as right as possible that is.

Please let me know your thoughts.

If you dont know what the @!#$%^ I am talking about, read this thread.

Lessons for Paintball from Snowboarding
gmore70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ask me about my

I think coaching would be a better term since paintball is more on the fly than what I think sports that have lessons are. Much easier to teach snowboarding slowly via lessons than paintball. Coaching/teaching as you go is much better for a fluid sport like paintball. I see it like football,soccer, baseball, etc where the things are constantly changing. Much faster pace than snowboarding where you control almost everything.
Designer of the first legit looking ego pump, the EgoP!
BUY IT HERE!!

Tinkerer/ Pump lover
Team Akkadian Paintball Squad
OK D-Day '09 - German 716th IR
FEAR THE TREES!
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ml#post1067010
Skibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Since you made a comparison to snowboarding and ski hills offering lessons to ease parents minds, would a comparison to the extremity of the experience also be warranted? My point being that no ski hill would allow a brand new snowboarder to hit the blue or black diamond runs on their first outing. The bunny hill and green runs would be the appropriate first steps. Would paintball not benefit from starting new players at a lesser extreme experience as well (ie, 50 caliber or the like) rather than subjecting them to the full force of regular 68 caliber?
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Old Fat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Since you made a comparison to snowboarding and ski hills offering lessons to ease parents minds, would a comparison to the extremity of the experience also be warranted? My point being that no ski hill would allow a brand new snowboarder to hit the blue or black diamond runs on their first outing. The bunny hill and green runs would be the appropriate first steps. Would paintball not benefit from starting new players at a lesser extreme experience as well (ie, 50 caliber or the like) rather than subjecting them to the full force of regular 68 caliber?
And now you come tell of this great idea...I know, its been around for a while...but thank you for reminding me..timing is good.

I just read your blog about the 50 cal...now that is great....especially coming from a field owner.

Last edited by gmore70; 03-25-2013 at 01:11 AM.
gmore70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

It is really very dependent upon the format. Lessons tend to generate a more formal mentality...sit and study and learn before actually applying. Coaching is taking what you have learned and applying it with supervision. You can't get on a football field and execute the "shotgun" without first being taught it in a lesson. But it takes coaching to help you execute it properly.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone