mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #41 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
I'd say peaked, not stagnated. There hasn't been much new that came down the line during my time away from the game and there really isn't much more I could ask for.
There is for me, but it's all coming out of CCI, and generally just the same awesomeness with minor but sexy refinements.

If I had all the money in the world, I'd get into the business of making Splatmasters.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #42 (permalink)
Old 'n Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
If I had all the money in the world, I'd get into the business of making Splatmasters.
I'd like to purchase the alleged wharehouse full of Splatmaster parts and assemble/sell/use them.
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:56 AM   #43 (permalink)

Smartparts Vs. WDP.

I remember Sp going suite crazy. When paintball news was still in print I vividly remember when they went after WDP and had their assess headed to them because WDP showed/brought evidence that the electro patent was already held by somebody else, not SP. That was the last time Sp ever sued anybody. It was because they couldn't, the patent wasn't theirs to start with. Sp became very quiet after that, and then folded.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #44 (permalink)
P0E
Banned

Compared to what's possible, near complete stagnation over the last two decades.

The rare innovation has been seen. Like First Strike Rounds and Apex barrels.

Simple slight improvements have also happened. Like electronics. Although credit goes to that industry. The paintball companies simply adopted it when the price was right. Same with refinement of manufacturing. Credit for this goes to innovations in manufacturing and the willingness of a few players to pay stupid high prices for cosmetics like milling.

Nothing new on the horizon either. Just the same old "different is better, trust us" marketing. J4, LV1 and pretty much anything by BL is a great example.

The rental field business model is the worst offender though. It could be so much better, but no one is brave enough to try anything. Most cry 'wolf' with insurance forgetting paintball businesses operated for quite a long time without insurance.

Meh. It doesn't matter anyway. Paintball is fun as it is. Could it be better, DEFINITELY. Am I going to do it... nope. You? Probably not.
P0E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #45 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

You want innovation, by me...

Ok

MonsterSpin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wJZfHn5w-c

ZoomCam #2

ZoomCam #1

Last edited by FreeEnterprise; 05-05-2013 at 10:36 PM.
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #46 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocockerfan View Post
I remember Sp going suite crazy. When paintball news was still in print I vividly remember when they went after WDP and had their assess headed to them because WDP showed/brought evidence that the electro patent was already held by somebody else, not SP. That was the last time Sp ever sued anybody. It was because they couldn't, the patent wasn't theirs to start with. Sp became very quiet after that, and then folded.
Nope, SP and WDP basically co-held the patent. But everyone had to pay royalties to SP over their ownership of the patent. They didn't sue anyone else because everyone was working with them at that point, paying the royalties, not because they couldn't go after anyone.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #47 (permalink)
P0E
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
You want innovation, by me...

Ok

MonsterSpin
Not sure if moar spin using existing products is very innovative, but meh. Better than anything else I have seen lately.

Would love to see that kind of thing commonplace in tourneys. You think spray and pray is bad, how about when the players don't even need to see their target. Maybe blindly shooting around bunkers would trigger the realization of how silly what they do is.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #48 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0E View Post
Not sure if moar spin using existing products is very innovative, but meh. Better than anything else I have seen lately.

Would love to see that kind of thing commonplace in tourneys. You think spray and pray is bad, how about when the players don't even need to see their target. Maybe blindly shooting around bunkers would trigger the realization of how silly what they do is.
Paintball is a modified game of tag / capture the flag that we play while shooting balls of paint at each other.

For people who participate in one aspect of the game to comment on how "silly" another aspect of the game is seems a touch hypocritical to me.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #49 (permalink)
P0E
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Paintball is a modified game of tag / capture the flag that we play while shooting balls of paint at each other.

For people who participate in one aspect of the game to comment on how "silly" another aspect of the game is seems a touch hypocritical to me.
I don't quite follow your thought process. Are you saying paintball itself is silly and therefore anyone who plays it while negatively commenting on one silly aspect is a hypocrite?
With that line of reasoning...and personal definition of hypocritical ....
You are a hypocrite for posting that comment.

After you click those links, understand my comments and personal beliefs are in perfect alignment.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #50 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mercy Ever View Post
Nope, SP and WDP basically co-held the patent.
-That wasn't determined until later.

What happened was (in brief) that SP hired an outside company, called PneuVentures, to invent and manufacture a new electronically controlled paintball gun. PV was a small specialty shop that had built (supposedly) parts for NASA, among others, so it wasn't a huge stretch- the result was the original PneuVentures Shocker, which PV made and SP marketed and sold.

The gun, despite being huge, heavy and a massive gas hog, sold surprisingly well. Rumor has it that SP eventually placed a huge order for them with PV, and deliberately didn't pay (or there was some other snafu that resulted in PV not getting paid.)

PV had had to overextend themselves to purchase the materials, parts and farm out some of the work, and without the payment from the buyer, had to default and went bankrupt.

SP then bought all the intellectual property from the bankruptcy auction, for pennies on the dollar, and immediately filed for a patent on the Shocker.

The senior Gardner was a patent attorney (who had already had a run-in with the law over patent schemes years before) and eventually modified/continued the patent to cover not just the Shocker, but the very idea of using electricity to initiate firing a paintball.

Once it was so modified, they finally let it finish filing properly- and naturally enough, by this time the electro market was taking off, with guns being made by AKA, ICD, AGD, WDP and others. But the date of the patent filing predated all of those, having been 'continued' several times for several years.

So the upshot was, that SP suddenly had a patent on the idea of using electricity, and a marketful of people suddenly "infringing". So naturally they started leaning on those companies for royalties. Some paid up (Bob Long) some worked out a complementary deal (DYE, who owned the patent that SP needed to build the new-style '03 and later Shockers) some said FU and stopped making electros (AKA) and some got dragged into court. (ICD.)

Finally, SP and WDP faced off in court. WDP found the PneuVentures guys, who had reams of documentation covering the development of the original Shocker, while- in court- the Gardners couldn't remember anything about what they did to invent the gun, or, in some cases, even describe how the gun actually worked.

The PV guy was found to be part owner of the SP patent- you know, having developed the gun for SP- and WDP bought his portion of the rights from him. (For a rumored $50K.) So the final upshot being that WDP became part owner of the SP patent, which more or less put an end to that phase of the Patent Wars.

Later, after both SP and WDP had closed down, the IP got sold off, and is now, as I recall, owned by KEE.

Doc.
DocsMachine is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone