mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
okey dokey then,,

just seems like he wouldnt have released it as open source if it required injection molding

Tracker

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #22 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
okey dokey then,,

just seems like he wouldnt have released it as open source if it required injection molding

Tracker
Lots of chatter with limited actual amount of feasible manufacturing by the masses? Sounds like a great way to get people to line up for a complete shell kit that Simon might make. He's got all of the manufacturing capability to make the molds. He also has plenty of design experience working with injection molds. With the workshop space he has and the capitol he's spent on his machines already, him doing IM in house wouldn't really shock me. Quite a good plan if you ask me.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
No class

There is a shop down the street from me that has a rapid prototyping machine, that can produce the parts in ABS. I am working on getting the files to him for a quote. I will post contact info and price up once it's all settled and I have my set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
As bad as US gun laws are, thank God we can still shoot at RC planes with machineguns.
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
Lots of chatter with limited actual amount of feasible manufacturing by the masses? Sounds like a great way to get people to line up for a complete shell kit that Simon might make. He's got all of the manufacturing capability to make the molds. He also has plenty of design experience working with injection molds. With the workshop space he has and the capitol he's spent on his machines already, him doing IM in house wouldn't really shock me. Quite a good plan if you ask me.
Good point. You see a similar kind of thing in the Reprap world. Most printer stuff is open source. You are welcome to use the files to build your own printer, or for convenience, quality assurance, etc. you can buy it from the people who designed it. I could have bought all my printer parts from Terawatt Industries, instead I just printed their parts on my brother's printer and sourced the rest of the materials myself. I bought a Budaschnozzle 2.0 from Lulzbot, yet they have full blueprints online. I could have made a copy myself. But I couldn't make it to the same quality that they do, so I paid them for the convenience.

Simon probably has access to the best way to make the hopper (IM). Lots of people seem interested in trying to print these. The design isn't optimized for printing. Being able to print it, you will get a chance to test it out. And if you can't get a quality print that will handle being played with, but you like the hopper, you'll probably buy the real thing from Simon. Pretty clever marketing.
Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

i found a bom for it that's under $900. MendelMax v1.5 Bill of Materials on KitBOM still for a diy project it's horribly expensive. that happens to be what i don't like about that "make" magazine too.

and what's up with the need for printed parts? "to build your own 3d printer you must first own a 3d printer" is bull****. the whole point of diy is to cut cost, you're already $1200 into the project before you even buy the materials just because you need a store-bought 3d printer for it. not everyone has free access to a 3d printer... i feel like this movement is just hype building on the diy buzzwords.

i gotta print your damn gear? why can't i just go find an rc car one of appropriate size?
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
i found a bom for it that's under $900. MendelMax v1.5 Bill of Materials on KitBOM still for a diy project it's horribly expensive. that happens to be what i don't like about that "make" magazine too.

and what's up with the need for printed parts? "to build your own 3d printer you must first own a 3d printer" is bull****. the whole point of diy is to cut cost, you're already $1200 into the project before you even buy the materials just because you need a store-bought 3d printer for it. not everyone has free access to a 3d printer... i feel like this movement is just hype building on the diy buzzwords.

i gotta print your damn gear? why can't i just go find an rc car one of appropriate size?
You find someone with a printer to print you the parts. Plenty of people on eBay and various forums. I came across that particular BOM early on in my planning stages. It convinced me to source all my own parts. Since I got my printed parts free, I splurged a bit on some of the other components (lead screws instead of threaded rod for the Z axis, and a few other places).

Once I have mine up and running, I can hook you up with parts.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
You find someone with a printer to print you the parts. Plenty of people on eBay and various forums. Once I have mine up and running, I can hook you up.
but that defeats the point

i'm more in it for the diy than for the cost
Old 05-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #28 (permalink)
MCB Member

You can probably make all of the printed parts out of sheet metal and wood if you have the time and skill. The only exception being the gears on the extruder. You might have to source those.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
You can probably make all of the printed parts out of sheet metal and wood if you have the time and skill.
would that affect accuracy or does the "calibration" take care of it?
Old 05-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
would that affect accuracy or does the "calibration" take care of it?
It shouldn't affect the accuracy. The printed parts are typically the vertexes of the frame, the X and Y carriages (but those ride on bushings or bearings) and the Extruder. The hardest part to make would be the Extruder Body. I think the term for these builds is "RepStrap". http://reprap.org/wiki/RepStrap

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone