mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Failed paintball products? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/234012-failed-paintball-products.html)

DocsMachine 05-22-2013 12:36 AM

Failed paintball products?

In the earlier thread about .50 cal markers, I started wondering about the long line of products our little "cottage industry" sport has made over the years, that just didn't quite catch on.

Scratch that, I mean the ones that failed miserably. :D

I recall an old issue of some paintball magazine, where a press release was showing off a new harness- instead of individual 10-round tubes which were the style at the time, it carried whole 45-round "ammo box" loaders. You replaced the entire loader, instead of topping it up. (Admittedly they were cheap blow-molded loaders, not like they were today's Halos or anything, but still... :D )

Or JT's motocross-style goggle tear-offs. Good idea for getting rid of splatter, but could also get rid of an entire hit, too. I think JT yanked those after just a couple months.

What else has crashed into flaming wreckage? :)

Doc.

Legion 05-22-2013 12:41 AM

63dt paintballs...comes to mind,

Melvin 05-22-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocsMachine (Post 2714511)
What else has crashed into flaming wreckage? :)

Doc.

You're making me wish I had all my old APG's lying around still so I could pick up any random issue and find like 6 things in each one that matches your description.

Fubarius 05-22-2013 01:01 AM

Lets see...

The PMI Maxx55, a basic plastic blowback designed to shoot a smaller, lighter hitting paintball (sound familiar). Used a proprietary .55 cal ball.

Before the .68 cal Reballs there was the .68 cal Lazerballs, which were softer and more Nerf like but didn't shoot the same as a normal ball so they weren't as good for practicing. But before even that there was the .80 cal Lazerballs. The first fields to sign up for the concept of a reusable paintball didn't want something players would want to steal for use in their guns at home, or have players sneak regular balls onto the field and make a mess, so Lazerball teamed up with Brasseagle to make a .80 caliber Stingray. The concept didn't last long. (But I still managed to find a pair of the guns and a thousand balls for my collection :))

lexiones 05-22-2013 01:03 AM

SNIPER DOUGHNUTS WITH PROPRIEATRY NAVCOM TECHNOLOGY!!!!!!!

THAT'S NOISE AND VIBRATION AND CONTROL MATERIAL!!!!

I still have one that was sent to the shop I worked in many moons ago. I think they used another acronym "DTMS" I don't recall what theat stood for though.

They were made by limbsaver, an archery company. It was a rubber barrel ring that was meant to steady your gun faster after each shot.

The Zap vibrating hopper.....it was a dull blender that didn't feed

Also:
crossfire ramrod
Sensi
thumper

chopper duke 05-22-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fubarius (Post 2714526)
Lets see...

The PMI Maxx55, a basic plastic blowback designed to shoot a smaller, lighter hitting paintball (sound familiar). Used a proprietary .55 cal ball.

Before the .68 cal Reballs there was the .68 cal Lazerballs, which were softer and more Nerf like but didn't shoot the same as a normal ball so they weren't as good for practicing. But before even that there was the .80 cal Lazerballs. The first fields to sign up for the concept of a reusable paintball didn't want something players would want to steal for use in their guns at home, or have players sneak regular balls onto the field and make a mess, so Lazerball teamed up with Brasseagle to make a .80 caliber Stingray. The concept didn't last long. (But I still managed to find a pair of the guns and a thousand balls for my collection :))

I bought my former step-daughter one of those plus a case of .55 cal paint, a tank and a mask. Kept her from shooting up my paint. :D

Those glow in the dark paintballs that you attached a "charger" to your barrel so they would light up. Mine never worked right. Now I wish I had it for the novelty of it.

lexiones 05-22-2013 01:16 AM

^^^ ricochet made a loader for them with a uv light inside....it didn't do well.

SEFishy 05-22-2013 01:25 AM

also had a light and reflective internal shell for a Halo too

Frizzle Fry 05-22-2013 01:42 AM

Off the top of my head...

Don't remember the name of it but there was a hopper that fed from a giant ball. The ball separated from the neck (which threaded right on to the gun), so you could keep a bunch of the balls hanging from a special belt and swap them out instead of reloading. I think it was called the "Electron" something but wasn't electronic at all.

Then there were "Speedpods" from JT which, instead of a door, had retractable teeth held together by an o-ring. They came with a special "collar" which mounted to your Viewloader Revolution that replaced the door. It expanded the capacity significantly, and featured a game timer. Rather than open your loader, open your pod, then dump paint, you just crammed the pod into the collar which pushed back the teeth and released the paint (and pinched your hand real bad).

For a while there were clear barrels made by System X and 32* which had a metal back, and a clear plastic front in various colors... They made grips and volumizers and site rails too. The System X ones tended to crack and craze but the 32* ones weren't too fragile (no porting) but they weren't especially good.

Then there were KK "ring" triggers for the Angel and Shocker, short and tall. The short you put your index finger in the ring, the tall you put your middle finger in the ring and your index above it. I think they got banned because of some perceived speed advantage, that and a lot of people cut their trigger guards.

I recall having a sidecar for my Automag that held a squeegee along the barrel like a ramrod, so you could quickly pull it out and swab after you had a break. The bottom of the foregrip popped out and was a barrel plug. Then I had an Angel with two volumizers, except the nonfunctional one in front of the battery was actually a cleverly disguised tool kit.

Uhhhhhh I'm out for now, back when my brain recovers.

bigbthebenji 05-22-2013 02:00 AM

The "pulse" loader. Was fast and fed consistently enough, but the feedneck broke. Like, on nearly every single one. Such a bummer.