mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Well, it ought to be spelled out either way what is expected up front. I've never thought that it was a general's job to promote the event, but then I've never general'd or XO'd a scenario.
Ok - that was too easy.

Point #2: most of the time the general is just a figure head - maybe a celebrity or famous person brought in to help draw players or publicity because of their fame. They make a speech or two then turn over the running of the army to the XOs that then manage the army. I've XO'ed for Greg Hastings, Mark Stiffler, Bambi Bullard, Ben Tippman and Greg was the only one that actually played.. and not as general - he just went out hunting ears and left the actually running of the army to the command staff. Later in the game they ask the XOs for recommendations for awards etc and then present awards at the end. IMO: This is true for most generals, and all celebrity generals... its all part of the show.

Bambi had a broken leg - left the field to write the story on the event for APG... completely missing what actually happened. lol.

Mark showed up to represent NAPRA then split after an hour or two.

Ben Tippmann was getting the obligatory face time with the players to help sell BT products... and to party with the field owners who stock their gear in the pro-shop.

Greg was hyping his new PS3/Xbox game - getting face time - signing autographs. (he is a very nice guy in person btw )

In each case their presence had next to nothing to do with running the army.

Now when you see the team captain for a large scenario team volunteer then odds are they will be hands on.

Last edited by thumper; 06-23-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
Giver of Hugs

I believe it is a generals job to build his team, and that leads to promoting an event. Ultimately it is the field, promoter, and generals job to make a scenario happen. If a general expects to show up game day and have everything handed to him I bet he gets his *** kicked.

"It is estimated that bears kill over two million salmon a year. Attacks by salmon on bears are much more rare."
Old 06-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
Scewball, One Each

Send a message via Yahoo to DarkShadowHunter

If generals have no part in getting players to the game then why not wait until the day of to choose the generals? Sure some events like Oklahoma D-Day would require choosing generals ahead of time, but that would be the exception rather then the rule. If generals are chosen the day of you wouldn't have to deal with Team X can't switch sides because they always play alongside Team F who is commanding this game. Also might as well not give players to option to choose sides if you want a fair and balanced match up. Have all players pre-reg and include a team/group name if they wish to play alongside certain people. That way it is solely the event promoter's and the field's responsibility if teams are lop sided and one side wins by a landslide. Heck if you want to totally avoid a landslide why bother keeping score? Why don't we stop having scenarios and just have big games where everyone plays for the fun of it? No more missions, no final battles, no night play, maybe props to bring back for bragging rights.

I thought scenario paintball was suppose to be a competition between two sides. That is the purpose of keeping score right? It is still a competition isn't it? Whoever recruits the better teams and players would normally win. Sometimes you get an upset because one side gets a few unknown players who work well together and magic happens. Players and teams have certain people they would rather play along side and a good general who recruits and promotes knows this. Also any good promoter and host field would know this as well. They work around these allegiances and plan them into the game play.

If you want your fair and balanced games stick with rec ball and leave scenario ball for the guys who thrive off that kind of competition.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

This is the story about LL6, according to Kaz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martix_agent View Post
I heard that Kaz and his XO rage quit. Is this true, and if so, what is the story behind it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualreviews View Post
No Necro and I didn't quit. People kept asking where i was and thought that i left, but that is not true. Some players on the horde side didn't want to do missions so i decided to go out by myself with a small group of players and try to accomplish the missions, that is why some people couldn't find me. The battle was very hard and i would never give up as a general, thats not the kind of person i am.

I had a great weekend and both necro and i tried our very best to bring home the victory. At the end of the day it's just paintball and were all there to have fun.

KAZ
Old 06-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by martix_agent View Post
This is the story about LL6, according to Kaz.
LOL i love how my name is thrown in this.

Feedback..
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Proud member of the GUNMEN WRECKING CREW
Old 06-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfymumfy View Post
I believe it is a generals job to build his team, and that leads to promoting an event. Ultimately it is the field, promoter, and generals job to make a scenario happen. If a general expects to show up game day and have everything handed to him I bet he gets his *** kicked.
+1... I think you would have written a better article.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowHunter View Post
If you want your fair and balanced games stick with rec ball and leave scenario ball for the guys who thrive off that kind of competition.
LOL - Scenario ball = serious business (and apparently not designed to be fair)!

Remember: Paintball is fun!
Old 06-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #28 (permalink)
Scewball, One Each

Send a message via Yahoo to DarkShadowHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusskiX View Post
LOL - Scenario ball = serious business (and apparently not designed to be fair)!

http://images.cheezburger.com/comple...d752adc0ec.jpg

Remember: Paintball is fun!
I never said it wasn't fun. I am just saying scenario games are a higher level of competition than your garden variety walk-on. It is fine if all you care about is having fun. Just know who belongs where. Not all competition happens on the inflatable courses. Scenario paintball is a competition. Why bother keeping score if it isn't?

If you think everything can be puppy dogs and rainbows in at a scenario event then you are quite mistaken. Feelings may get hurt, people may get shot in the head, and you stand a good chance of getting hit a couple more times two seconds after you call out because the guy shooting at you keeps going until he hears "Hit."

Really I think scenario paintball provides an area of competition for the player(s) that have no desire to battle it out on the inflatables. Some people thrive for competition and others are fine with playing amongst their friends.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #29 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
..If you want your fair and balanced games stick with rec ball and leave scenario ball for the guys who thrive off that kind of competition.
I can't count how many games I've played where Saturday night one side was way up, and then miraculously Sunday morning when the game started back up the score was dead even!

The producers control the show. That is what they do. They want everyone to have fun and to fight hard. Any producer worth his salt has several tricks up his sleeve to help balance the game to keep the game fun and exciting... and the trick is to do it in a way that the average player doesn't know anything changed...seemless adjustments.

Refs will also step in and throw a few bones to the side that is down.

Be serious all you want but watch out for the magic nuke, strangely accurate (or inaccurate) artillery, tanks switching sides, home teams switching sides, missing props, tanks becoming disabled fight before the final battle, missions on the far side of the field right beside the enemy base, etc etc.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #30 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
I never said it wasn't fun. I am just saying scenario games are a higher level of competition than your garden variety walk-on. It is fine if all you care about is having fun. Just know who belongs where. Not all competition happens on the inflatable courses. Scenario paintball is a competition. Why bother keeping score if it isn't?

If you think everything can be puppy dogs and rainbows in at a scenario event then you are quite mistaken. Feelings may get hurt, people may get shot in the head, and you stand a good chance of getting hit a couple more times two seconds after you call out because the guy shooting at you keeps going until he hears "Hit."

Really I think scenario paintball provides an area of competition for the player(s) that have no desire to battle it out on the inflatables. Some people thrive for competition and others are fine with playing amongst their friends.

Millennium Paintball Productions - Rules in our scenario games

MPP Games Official Game Rules

Important to Remember: Scenario Games are not competitions. They are plays in which we are all cast members. Have fun with the concept, play hard, play to win, play fair, and most of all, enjoy yourself. These rules will help you play and enjoy the game. Please familiarize yourself with them and have fun.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone