mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 06-28-2013, 04:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Seeing as I have too much free time... I wanna make a paintball gun. Ideas please?

So, first summer in my life that I can drive as much as I want and it's also the summer where I've had so much unoccupied free time. That being said, I want to make a paintball gun, however, I'm not sure exactly what I want to do. I just know I have 3 goals in mind:

-Macroless. I don't care if it's a system like the LV1, but I don't want macroline. I normally couldn't care less, but that way if I ever decide to sell it, I'll at least have one selling point. I GOT THIS
-I want to get REALLY good efficiency (at least numbers comparable to an Axe). I DON'T GOT THIS
-I want THE top priority to be that it's quick to use. I'm not talking about cycling, but having a fast trigger. I DON'T GOT THIS

I can handle the macroless part, that's easy enough to design into it. I'm just not sure what the best engine to use for efficiency would be (probably poppet based?) and I'm not sure what either a fast mech setup would be or what a fast electro setup would be (I'm hardly satisfied with any gun that exists).

That's why I've come to you guys. What I have to work with is a drill press, so a majority of the work would have to be done there (so no curved air passageways) with only some of the parts being done on a mill (like flattening the bottom of the body and making the frame, I'd be outsourcing that).

So what are my best options for an engine and a frame? Should I go mech or electro?

EDIT: I thought I was in custom projects. If this isn't an appropriate enough place, could a mod move it?
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Autocannibal

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresfiend View Post
So, first summer in my life that I can drive as much as I want and it's also the summer where I've had so much unoccupied free time. That being said, I want to make a paintball gun, however, I'm not sure exactly what I want to do. I just know I have 3 goals in mind:

-Macroless. I don't care if it's a system like the LV1, but I don't want macroline. I normally couldn't care less, but that way if I ever decide to sell it, I'll at least have one selling point. I GOT THIS
-I want to get REALLY good efficiency (at least numbers comparable to an Axe). I DON'T GOT THIS
-I want THE top priority to be that it's quick to use. I'm not talking about cycling, but having a fast trigger. I DON'T GOT THIS

I can handle the macroless part, that's easy enough to design into it. I'm just not sure what the best engine to use for efficiency would be (probably poppet based?) and I'm not sure what either a fast mech setup would be or what a fast electro setup would be (I'm hardly satisfied with any gun that exists).

That's why I've come to you guys. What I have to work with is a drill press, so a majority of the work would have to be done there (so no curved air passageways) with only some of the parts being done on a mill (like flattening the bottom of the body and making the frame, I'd be outsourcing that).

So what are my best options for an engine and a frame? Should I go mech or electro?

EDIT: I thought I was in custom projects. If this isn't an appropriate enough place, could a mod move it?
This is quite the undertaking, and although the ability to drive for large periods of time is quite admirable, you may want to just customize something already made rather than going right for your own custom setup. Maybe you could start by massacring a block of merlin extrusion so as to gauge what you can do with creative applications of a drill press?

ASP Online Store: Raw AKA Merlin Extrusion

I believe you can just pop in a V6

New PB Nation Feedback
Old PBNation Feedback
MCB Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPrekel View Post
Hey - we are not "Nation"
tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny View Post
This is quite the undertaking, and although the ability to drive for large periods of time is quite admirable, you may want to just customize something already made rather than going right for your own custom setup. Maybe you could start by massacring a block of merlin extrusion so as to gauge what you can do with creative applications of a drill press?

ASP Online Store: Raw AKA Merlin Extrusion

I believe you can just pop in a V6
That might be a good idea, and I'll probably end up going that route and just building a frame that houses ALL of the rest of the components (like noid, board, reg, ASA, etc). I can probably do all of the air passages with a drill press and then put threaded plugs in all of the points where I'd drill through other material. What I have half an idea to do is to get the frame milled out, set it up to house a universal board, solder on a simple noid controlling a ram (Ego style) as well as microswitch and power button, and then either mount my existing Etek2 reg (S2?) to the frame and modify the collar or to just say **** the original body and just cut to that spec inside the frame so that I can route the air passage without having an ugly modified collar while still not having to manufacture an entire regulator.

My ONLY issue with going somewhere with a cocker body is that I'm not building a cocker. I want ZERO rams unless they're directly hitting the poppet. No front block, no external hosing, and I don't want a ram sleeve as that's instant bulk.

I also was going somewhere with the driving as there was a pay by the hour manual mill shop a couple hours away, but I forgot they closed down due to making more money from selling all of their mills than renting them out.

EDIT: So I did some frame gas-thru ideas. Bow to my almighty paint skills!

drilled air path O-ring (for sealing AT pipes) plugged hole (via threaded plug or welding)
First idea is to modify the Etek2 reg collar to have a vertical AT pipe (should have done it thru-trigger guard, but a lil concept never hurt anyone)

Second idea is to do an LV1-style AT pipe with a new reg housing (to be lumped together with the first idea when I get around to it)

Third idea is to make a brand new reg housing and just screw any hosing whatsoever.

Last edited by aresfiend; 06-28-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
I am stuck on bandaid...

If I were you, I would devote some small portion of your free time to enrolling in a machining class of some sort. I'm sure your local community college or tech school has just the thing.

Your ideas are interesting - I get the impression, however, that you don't have much concept of the kind of tools and precision required to make what you're talking about.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

As a mechanical design engineer I love the ambition to make something, but please don't do what you are thinking with the macroless design. You will likely injure yourself. Frames have to be designed to accept air through them, and and most were not.

As previously suggested go to a community college and take a machining class to learn a little about mills and lathes.
mastercoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gun Designer

you are either going to need a really strong frame or regulate it at the ASA. I suggest you take a machining course first then decide what to do. As for your ideas. I like it but..... you can pm me for ideas on the operating system. but I suggest you build something like a wrath but more simplified. A fasor with a mini/relay reg run it through a clamshell frame and tap a barb into where the reg would normally go. this will lower the pressure to around 125-195 in your frame and not relying on the frame to hold air pressure in the 850 psi range. If the fasor is done right they can be extremely air saving and can shoot good. The DP F8 is probably the best fasor money can buy right now. as the FX is only so so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-cameron View Post
MIballer's exploits during his career in MI6 are what the Austin Powers movies are based on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
In a fight of Superman and Chuck Norris...MIballer wins
MIballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Simple.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercoo View Post
As a mechanical design engineer I love the ambition to make something, but please don't do what you are thinking with the macroless design. You will likely injure yourself. Frames have to be designed to accept air through them, and and most were not.
This wasn't going to be me modifying an already existing frame. More like me making something in SolidWorks (with those air passages in mind), outsourcing the milling (I know other people that can do this for a fee on a CNC machine), and then just drilling the air passages (assuming they can't be done on said machine). Then using threaded plugs or an air transfer pipe, kind of like what any company with two macro fittings on their ASAs does except on a smaller scale.

I'm not seeing how I'd injure myself making a purpose built frame that's air-through. Maybe if I expose it to gallium or if I were to make the aluminum thin and decide to run it on a full 850 PSI of air I could see injury.

Last thing I want to point out, it's an issue to take a machining class because the only one I could get around here (within an hour) is either already going or a fall class that would interfere with other schooling. I do, however, know how to use a manual mill and lathe.

EDIT: I am probably going to go some route of using a Relay reg on the bottom of the frame, simply because it would work with this and because I'd be in need of an on/off anyway.

Last edited by aresfiend; 06-28-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
DonkeyPunchTheNightAway

Brass N Wood Fan
I've had 4 years training in each of machining and mechanical design, yet i never pursued this as a career. I wished it was as simple of taking a single class to learn how to do everything.
Acidpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
use a relay.

for what your doing, it'll be perfect

if you want a fun starter project, there are the electro/mech ions that punisher068/me/3rd guy cant remember made..... gas through grip, choice of shooting method, all that

it'd be fun to do a gas through grip ego.... i'd say 05/06 with the flat bottom frames/bodies so that you can build a rail to make it work

if you did 07+ your rail would need to be more complex to accommodate the hump
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone