mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-07-2014, 12:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
the Paintball Punk

Fan of EMR
On the topic of agg

So first off, what exactly would one define agg as? Ive picked up what seems like a vague idea, of a sort of trying to buy your way into being good. It seems like most of the people you would label as "agg" have the decked out jersey and gear to match it, sporting a constant speedball look almost. For christmas i had gotten my longtime girlfriend (and myself of course) a matching set of jerseys with the headbands to match, and some more stuff to follow. I got it with no intention of looking "professional" or like i have any sort of idea what im doing( as i dont) but ad a fun novelty sort of gift. But just seeing one of us on the field i feel like wed be easily mistaken. Would that lump me in with the group or is agg a mindset as well?
Krusty-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

why even question it? by asking that question, you are facilitating the divide and separatism of all paintballers, that does no one and the sport any good. there is nothing wrong with wearing jerseys. you can personalize your jersey, people will know you better than some t-shirt or whatever you wear. i'd rather wear a jersey that can get painted up and i don't care. wear whatever you want, and who cares what people think?

and headbands, keep hair and sweat out of your face.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

That term is very, very defunct and obsolete.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pump Convert

I haven't heard agg in forever lol.

The gear is functional. Nothing wrong with it.
SlvrDragon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Yep.
As I understand it, it was an aesthetic tied to teenagers attempting to emulate the look of the Hostile Kids team in the mid 2000s. This ultimately boiled down to wearing certain styles and colors of mismatched, yet expensive or rare headbands and goggle straps along with oversized, mostly black clothing. It was somewhat interesting in that the sport was trying to develop a kind of homegrown aesthetic that was neither military nor store-bought in nature, but ultimately resulted in clownish things like custom-made headbands made from imitation Luis Vuitton fabric. The whole thing became enormously silly and often annoying, given that the "lifestyle" became something of a pandemic among teenage paintballers on the web.

If you've bought matching gear, you're not going to look "agg" anyway, assuming anyone at the field is old enough to remember the craze.

Last edited by The Inflicted; 01-07-2014 at 02:34 AM.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Agg is about attitude, and flair, that breeds ultimate coolness without "trying" to be cool.

Self described players calling themselves "agg" aren't. If you are "agg" then you are, and it doesn't matter what you wear or how you look, people will just say "that guy is agg".

But, over the years, it has become watered down where just wearing this or that would somehow make you "agg" and that kind of destroyed the meaning of the word...

The term originally comes from the underground BMX culture of the 80's where "Aggro" was the term for the coolest of the cool. If someone did something NO ONE had ever done before, especially in a high stakes event, and pulled it clean, it was "AGGRO", pull off a group of those tricks at the same event and you were "Aggroman". Skaters and surfers picked it up, and started using it in the 90's, and then it went to paintball years later.

I have the original "Aggroman" movie on VHS since a bunch of my friends made it back in 89... During the underground years of BMX, of which I was lucky to be a part of!

And as usual, other sports picked up on our culture and brought it over to skating/surfing, and then finally paintballing.

Today "agg" is rarely used in paintball anymore.

If you mention Aggroman or Aggro, or even "Agg" to any BMX'r who knows his history, and they will immediately know exactly what you are talking about...
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
And I keep expecting something new to take its place any day now. If you don't put a name on it, they can't throw money at it.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
Agg is about attitude, and flair, that breeds ultimate coolness without "trying" to be cool.

Self described players calling themselves "agg" aren't. If you are "agg" then you are, and it doesn't matter what you wear or how you look, people will just say "that guy is agg".
Pretty much this.
jakesak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Aces and eights

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I don't care who wears what as long as it covers the necessaries and you aren't a jerk.
Feedback
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
RLTW

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I remember when dudes bought hk stuff because it wasn't mass marketed. Now that hk has an entire product line, does wearing it make you anti-agg?

On the topic, I have a 2003-04 hk long sleeve for sale. Free agg status with your purchase.

U.S. Army All-Star Tournament Team #82

Be kind and leave feedback:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Kearns is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone