mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   How on earth do smokers play paintball? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/251950-how-earth-do-smokers-play-paintball.html)

lordkyleofearth 02-24-2014 03:42 PM

How on earth do smokers play paintball?

I tried to play this weekend despite having contracted RSV from my kids. I have maybe 30-50% of my standard lung capacity and, good lord, does that limit you. I have seen lots of smokers at fields over the years, and I just don't see how they manage.

I wrapped up the day after dashing for a bunker only to have my legs give out, and falling hard on my back. I slid into the bunker, where I curled into the fetal position and struggled to breath for a few moments. Apparently more than just my marker was low on air :rolleyes:

Chappy 02-24-2014 03:44 PM

If you smoked, you'd be accustomed to this sort thing and it would be much easier to deal with...;)

The only time I tend to smoke anymore , actually, is when I am at the paintball field. :roll eyes:

lordkyleofearth 02-24-2014 03:50 PM

It hurt my pride pretty hard when the 300 pound guy who was there as part of the birthday group, who also smoked, took fewer breaks than I did. This was possibly my worst day of paintball ever, which sucks because it was one of my most anticipated games ever. Oh well, I'll just have to ensure the kids don't infect me with some other fun bug before the next outing. That shouldn't be too difficult with 22-month old twins... Right?

Chappy 02-24-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordkyleofearth (Post 290819)
Oh well, I'll just have to ensure the kids don't infect me with some other fun bug before the next outing. That shouldn't be too difficult with 22-month old twins... Right?

Good luck with that;)

noclue119 02-24-2014 04:09 PM

Fat = padding?

panhead4411 02-24-2014 04:10 PM

I actually had a smoker tell me that he thought smokers would be better at doing long hikes (like going Rim-Rim in Grand Canyon, ect) than non-smokers. Said they'd "need to eat less and their mouths wouldn't get as dry" or something. Made me laugh inside.

As i too have diminished lung capacity from some nerve issues years ago, i also find myself VERY out of breath after running a short distance in most games. I got a video camera this past fall and its sort of embarrassing how heavy i'm breathing most of the time.

JLuke 02-24-2014 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noclue119 (Post 2908211)
Fat = padding?

Yes, it's so not fair.

Dusty Bottoms 02-24-2014 04:40 PM

Well, smokers aside, lets talk about what happened to you. Were you playing speedball or in the woods?

Speedball is definately unforgiving of any physical impairment or limitation, especially if the regulars/local team who play it every weekend are there. Thats just the nature of that game format, and there is no getting around it unless your playing with a private group.

A decent sized woodsball field that you have experience on should let you slow your pace though. Nothing wrong with playing back, guarding the flag, or just moving up very methodically without having to be up front going banzai all the time. Thats one of the reasons I love woodsball so much, it allows so many different kinds of play to suit different people and their abilities.

I never see many smokers at my field. I'm more amazed, and depressed, by the amount of completely out of shape 16-20 year old kids I see at my field who can't hack a couple consecutive 5-10 minute games without collapsing in a bloated pile afterwards. Then they eat crap, drink soda, and waste an amazing amount of time talking about their gear until they finally build the strength to take the field again. I'm 33, and when I go to a field to play, which I consider a priviledge, I go to PLAY!:gunsfiring:

noclue119 02-24-2014 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLuke (Post 2908236)
Yes, it's so not fair.

yeah tell me about it. I am 116lb @ 5-10. Everything that hits my body will break.

skife 02-24-2014 05:53 PM

with their JT flex rolled up in the front.