mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #31 (permalink)

Talking reply Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
That's pretty solid, probably better then me :P

What are you career plans?
ill just go to school for design or engineering or something like that don't know what the title is for someone who invents and designs stuff.

what do you do?
Future paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:31 PM   #32 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

Hey OP:

Don't bother with school, you're better off to get into the industry somewhere. Engineering school is a waste of time unless you figure out a way to get ahead super fast and meet the right people. when I was your age I was doing much the same thing: drawing concept 2D, often by pencil and paper only. get your aesthetic sense down, develop your style, play around with different design software. I started Autodesk Inventor when I was 17, started designing paintball products, got enthused and went to school for machining to learn the practical end, and have been doing that for over 10 years now (alongside mechanical design and engineering). Lots of fun!
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #33 (permalink)
Featuring Death

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future paintball View Post
ill just go to school for design or engineering or something like that don't know what the title is for someone who invents and designs stuff.

what do you do?
I'm taking architecture, it might be something looking into for you too. It's design coupled with the technical side of making a building stand and function.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #34 (permalink)

Talking Reply Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
I'm taking architecture, it might be something looking into for you too. It's design coupled with the technical side of making a building stand and function.
Yea I used to be realy interested in architecture in like middle school but I want something that I can hold with moving parts and I'm not as good at designing buildings. Where are u studying ?
Old 04-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #35 (permalink)

Talking Reply ApoC_101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Hey OP:

Don't bother with school, you're better off to get into the industry somewhere. Engineering school is a waste of time unless you figure out a way to get ahead super fast and meet the right people. when I was your age I was doing much the same thing: drawing concept 2D, often by pencil and paper only. get your aesthetic sense down, develop your style, play around with different design software. I started Autodesk Inventor when I was 17, started designing paintball products, got enthused and went to school for machining to learn the practical end, and have been doing that for over 10 years now (alongside mechanical design and engineering). Lots of fun!
So what your saying is keep doing what I'm doing
Go to classes once out of hightschool to learn the machines(like CNC) go to classes to learn the programs?
Old 04-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #36 (permalink)
Featuring Death

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future paintball View Post

Yea I used to be realy interested in architecture in like middle school but I want something that I can hold with moving parts and I'm not as good at designing buildings. Where are u studying ?
I'm at Algonquin College in Ontario, Canada. Have you thought about the trades at all? Electrician or something like that.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #37 (permalink)
MCB Member

Tech school would be a decent option. No need to start off with the ridiculous amount of debt that a 4 year school typically incurs. I went to school for CAD and bought myself some small machines to get my feet wet on the machining end. Read a lot, Practical machinist has tons of guys how really know their ****. Read some more, read industry magazines I get cutting tool engineering and desk top engineering. Get a copy of the machinist hand book, read it. Get some CAD software learn it I like SW but I can use pro/e creo inventor draft sight auto cad microstation Just about all the big ones. Don't be afraid to fail, learn from it and try again. Learn to engineer from the catalog and when to do it yourself. If you can learn how to learn and then never stop you will go far.

I also freak bore
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/a...ml#post2393405

A wise man once said:
"The gap between theory and reality is not as far in theory as it is in reality."
tjd10684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #38 (permalink)
Machinist

yeah go to school for machining, and get on the teachers good side
and then then they might let you work on personal projects.
like pb guns!

feed back
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ml#post2897921
Biscuits798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:19 PM   #39 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd10684 View Post
Tech school would be a decent option. No need to start off with the ridiculous amount of debt that a 4 year school typically incurs. I went to school for CAD and bought myself some small machines to get my feet wet on the machining end. Read a lot, Practical machinist has tons of guys how really know their ****. Read some more, read industry magazines I get cutting tool engineering and desk top engineering. Get a copy of the machinist hand book, read it. Get some CAD software learn it I like SW but I can use pro/e creo inventor draft sight auto cad microstation Just about all the big ones. Don't be afraid to fail, learn from it and try again. Learn to engineer from the catalog and when to do it yourself. If you can learn how to learn and then never stop you will go far.
My Associates cost me ~$3-5k (can't remember, had a lot of extra classes in there) and I got a pretty good job with that. My employer has really good tuition reimbursement, so my BAS was basically free. That's a benefit that is often overlooked, but can really keep you from getting a ton of debt.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:03 AM   #40 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

I'm gonna vote tech school too, good way to get your foot in the door, industry wise. I did a full time 8 month course and it didn't cost me too much, got a great start from there

(I didn't mean to say, no school at all... just seems a waste to take four years or so in engineering, for example)

also +1 for Practical Machinist. lots to learn online!
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone