mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 07-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

I've had my friend who started playing recently not like long timed insertions, and I agree. Instant or really quick insertions keep you moving and the paint flying.

I've also appreciated a little area on the field where you can take your mask off and clean/defog or do anything else quick (food/water, clean barrel/gun). That way they don't have to hump it back just to wipe their lens real good. It's all about keeping people playing, IMO. As for missions, I'd keep the main missions simple and clear. Do you have a nice field map to give out to people? It really helps people stay on the same page with missions and the whole situation.

Having things to find scattered around the field is a great idea to spread people out and it let's individual people make a difference (you gotta make the points worth it so people actually go and look for them, though).

As for a long lunch break, I've seen a place do smaller regular matches at a close field so people who still want to play can and the people who wanna chill can. Maybe have a TDM game at the village and rotate out people who wanna play.
ncoco252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

I've always preferred games with on/off insertion periods to constantly-open, instant-respawn situations.
Having to staff the respawn points with refs carrying radios is well worth it.

There are many advantages to having an insertion window that periodically closes. First, the dwindling and rising number of players on the field makes progress easier, as a team with a tactical advantage in one particular are of the field can press their advantage and move forward. If players can constantly return to the area in which they were shot, it serves to lock the game down, as not only will these player be rejoining the fight, they will know exactly where to go and where their opponents were, locking the game down even further.

Second, Always-on respawning is anathema to mission-based play. There's rarely an opportunity for players who don't know each other to connect and plan before re-joining the field in pursuit of a particular objective, since they won't stick around in the spawn point long enough to hear it. Having players accumulate in these areas gives them and their general time to brief them on what's going on and what should be done to rally the team.

Finally, It tends to make players last longer. I've noticed that games with always-open instant respawning tend to have far more players get tired and leave during the lunch break than games where they are forced to take breaks. Letting players play continuously without taking a breather will encourage them to wear themselves out, and they just won't stick around for the entire game.

The worst rules, which I've played a couple times, were games in which not only was there open and constant respawn, but players weren't even required to walk back to their home bases to spawn back in- the organizer simply told everyone to walk back a couple dozen yards when hit, away from the action, and come back in. You can imagine how this bogged down everything and discouraged breakthroughs.

Last edited by The Inflicted; 07-02-2014 at 06:39 PM.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
aka FairLady

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
he makes some good points on the opposite side of what i was saying.

I tend to agree that timed reinsertions introduce tactics into the game. However, I find that organizers have hard times implementing it well. For a first time big game, I would be weary of this path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
There are many advantages to having an insertion window that periodically closes. First, the dwindling and rising number of players on the field makes progress easier, as a team with a tactical advantage in one particular are of the field can press their advantage and move forward. If players can constantly return to the area in which they were shot, it serves to lock the game down, as not only will these player be rejoining the fight, they will know exactly where to go and where there opponents were, locking the game down even further.

Second, Always-on respawning is anathema to mission-based play. There's rarely an opportunity for players who don't know each other to connect and plan before re-joining the field in pursuit of a particular objective, since they won't stick around in the spawn point long enough to hear it. Having players accumulate in these areas gives them and their general to brief them on what's going on and what should be done to rally the team.

Finally, It tends to make players last longer. I've noticed that games with always-open instant respawning tend to have far more players get tired and leave during the lunch break than games where they are forced to take breaks. Letting players play continuously without taking a breather will encourage them to wear themselves out, and they just won't stick around for the entire game.

The worst rules, which I've played a couple times, were games in which not only was there open and constant respawn, but players weren't even required to walk back to their home bases to spawn back in- the organizer simply told everyone to walk back a couple dozen yards when hit, away from the action, and come back in. You can imagine how this bogged down everything and discouraged breakthroughs.
300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

An important use of insertion times is when you have one insertion point much closer to the staging area than the other. The people in the back are at a serious disadvantage to get to supplies, or just water sometimes. If a field is large and evenly traveled, I wear a watch and time my remaining shots and stupid moves to get me through insertion windows without much waiting.

You can also adjust the insertion window to match the size of the field versus the number of players. 15 minute gaps are barely noticeable on a good sized field. 20 minutes on a small field is annoying.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone