mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-02-2006, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Only "PART" Canadian

Filling your own C02 tanks

I recently came accross a 20lb c02 tank ans I was thinking about using it. Do I neet to have a siphon tube installed on it? I'm pretty sure I do. Does anyone know how much it would be to Hydro test this size of tank? Also I noticed on the fill station setups, they are using ball valves, the only ball valves I can find have a max psi of 450 or 500 psi.
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Firestorm

Most fill stations are only rated presure wise for 400-500 PSI, even the one I got that stated it was a co2 fill station was not rated for the presure.

Yes you are going ot need a siphon installed if it does not already have one. Also I do not know that if it would be cost effective to use a 20lb co2 tank. As you may run into issues filling. I had a 75lb tank, I think I was getting around 40 fills (various tank sizes) So you would be looking at a lot less then that.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
CHEERS!

You can turn that tank upside down, I had to do this once or twice back in the day (bad form though)... but I would go exchange it for one with a dip-tube.

If you exchange it for a full one at your local AirGas or similar. You can request a dip-tube one... and then you won't have to worry about hydro dates. I don't have my 20# tank filled per say... I exchange it for a full one, even though I "own" the tank (like propane bottle exchanges).

Just buy a CO2 fill station. They aren't that expensive. I bought one a PPS years ago... it was $45-$50 or so. Still works great. Totally worth it.

Last edited by Brewtt; 09-03-2006 at 03:10 AM.
Brewtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Only "PART" Canadian

The tank is from air gas, what do they charge for an exchange?
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lee
loose nut

I have been using a 20 lb tank with out dip tube for years.As stated I just turn it upside down.It costs me $22 to exchange the tank.Don't leave the tank upside down for an extended period of time or it will leak .I try and get as much out of my tank as I can.This means I know the empty weights of my tanks and I pre chill them in the freezer and top them off.Even if they are completly empty I put them in the freezer first this allows me to save a few oz's of Co2 per tank.I do it for convenience as well as cost.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
terrible speller

Send a message via AIM to knightmare96

I use a 20 lb too, the dip tube is nice. You can turn them upside down, but pray the inside of the tank is spotless. The downside here is if you turn it upsside down you can pour any corrosion and junk that is in the tank, right into your tank, and then into your gun. Might want to make sure it is filtered somewhere along the line if you use this method. I am with Lee on the prechilling the tank, the freezer is a great time saver, and saves on the number of fills you can get. (usually around 20-25 assorted fills from prechilled tanks.)

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone