mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Ever cheat? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/661-ever-cheat.html)

btlcry 04-22-2006 12:08 PM

Ever cheat?

To go with the "ever overshoot" thread, have you ever knowingly cheated? I'm not talking about playing on when you didn't know you were hit. I'm talking wiped, continuing to play after you knew you were out, opted for more range on the field ;) type of thing.

I'll start. I've wiped, once. Back when I first started playing, 91 or 92, I was playing 'outlaw' with a bunch of friends. One of my friends had gotten noticed by a local semi-pro team, Rolling Thunder (later changed to Thunderstorm for those in CT). Well one day he decided to bring one of his tournament buddies to our 'outlaw' game. Now my friend had always been a known cheater. Even would carry a spare set of Whippersnappers and change them if he got gogged. Well, I'm behind this pile of debris shooting at some people on a ridge. My friend and his buddy, who were both on my team, come over another ridge behind me. His buddy proceeds to shoot at me without checking what team I'm on, and hits me on the bottom of the foot (I was on my knees behind the pile). He then realizes we're on the same team and yells 'Oops, sorry'. I wiped it and responded to be more careful.

That is the only time I have willingly cheated.

On the other side of the coin, I was playing at Adventure Games in NH around 95, whenever the 2nd castle was being built, and was defending said castle. I came around an outside wall and almost ran into a kid who couldn't have been older than 12, and on the other team. Rental marker, rental jumpsuit, the whole newbie ensemble. Well, I shoot and he shoots. We both hit each other about the same time. He gets all dejected because he was out. I walked up to him and wiped the hit off him and said 'I think you got me first, so go ahead and play'. The look in his eyes more than made my day. I figure, what the heck, let the kid have some fun. Good thing he didn't get the flag out of the castle to win the game. :p

-Mike

ringer706 04-22-2006 07:26 PM

I don't cheat really. The only time I've cheated was when we were playing outlaw with 3 friends, and 7 idiotic fist biters. Anyways, it wound up being 4-7 every stinkin game cause none of them wanted to grow a backbone and not be with their babysitter. This obviously made us a wee bit ticked off. Every time we went out, we would get massacerd since only two of us had decent guns while most of there guns were either R/T'd or had an electro gun. During the last few games, we would just get lit up, so we started wiping a few times, one to make the game go longer, and so we had a shot at winning. I kinda regret it, but that day would've sucked even more.

Duzzy 04-22-2006 09:20 PM

I've bunkered people in games where bunkering wasn't allowed. I guess that's cheating. However, they were experienced adults and they were hiding so I don't feel bad about it. I would never do it to little kids or people I know are new players.

caplucky 04-22-2006 10:49 PM

I have never had the need to wipe, even from "friendly" fire. Now the quarter rule with splatter is out the window if it's recball, but tourny or league I would get a refs opinion if I though it was close. I don't see many of us playing in the big leagues where the sponsors expect you to cheat to win at all costs wtih blatant wiping.
Getting shot out doesn't always come at an expected time, allthough sometimes you know you are gonna get it so it can be disappointing but there is always a next time.
If you play for fun keep it fun, and when you can look back and regret cheating once before you know you have become a much better player.
At least that's what I believe.

ustilago 04-22-2006 11:16 PM

I've been accused of cheating. It's not my fault someone can empty a hopper at me and not hit me (hey, I had a bush for cover and was furiously trying to reload a pistol, he had an A-5R/T with the flatline installed upside down).

I've never wiped. I'll usually call myself out on a bounce. If I feel a hit, I'm out.
I don't believe in shooting hot or ramping anything either.

Gabe 04-23-2006 02:45 AM

I've never wiped, but I've made some questionable moves.

When I was playing at a big field I took a hit to the head and I wiped my hand over the area and it came back clean so I decided to keep playing. After the game I checked my mask and the shot had splattered behind the earpiece so that now paint had showed. So, it was unknowing cheating.

Another time, I was offered a surrender by a newbie and I shot him point blank in responce (yes, I know VERY low of me). I should have really taken the surrender because he had had the drop on me and I knew it. I guess it was because I had been getting shot up all day without an elimination and was all pissed off. I felt super-bad about it later. So, that one was VERY VERY VERY dirty, low, and repulsive of me but not 'cheating' really.

badkarma 04-23-2006 11:19 AM

I was called a cheater yesterday. Some 15 y/o punk with a proto dropped half a hopper at me while I gogged him with a double tap from the A-5, he come off pointing at me saying I hit you, I called the ref over and had him check me. Ref called me clean, kid still saying he hit me, I gently told him he's calling me a cheat, I'm calling him a poor sport and a liar,and that if he wishes to continue playing around me he will learn better manners.
I have played a long time, when I played tourney ball, I got grabbed by a ref and pulled out of a bunker for splatter, I told him that saying your out was enough and if he touched me like that again I would have him arrested. That got his attention, Later same ref was real close to me when I took a bounce, I called him to check it and during the check I took a hit that broke, he wiped it and said play on. I walked off. i was told to then take the hits and play until a ref called me out, otherwise we would loose, so I did. I quit playing speedball and now stay in the woods or only play people I know.
I still feel bad about those days sometimes.

shartley 04-23-2006 11:40 AM

No.

t-son_15 04-23-2006 11:50 AM

Im with Shartley. Never wiped.

Where we play outlaw ball, we don't count bounces as hits. I had a bounce once or twice, but I always get a teammate to check to see if I got hit. When there isn't a teammate around, and I've been hit in an area that I can't look at, I automatically call myself out. Of course, most of the time I am out, but there's that odd time where it doesn't break...but better safe than a cheat.

Al Ray 04-23-2006 11:54 AM

No.

Oh badkarma, I know what you mean with the whole "its the refs job to call me out" mentality. Its total crap. The only exception in my book is if Im 3 feet from my flag on a flag run, I'll run those last 3 feet then call a paint check, and If I was truely hit and it broke, well then I'll put the flag back or hold it at the possision where I was hit ( whatever the rules state for the feild) Its not the refs job to call you out. It is his job to check for paint and to catch cheaters, but in a good game the ref shouldnt be doing anything more than paint checks.