mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-28-2006, 01:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

Tippy 98 and mil sim

I have been really looking hard into mil sim. It's actually something up my ally. Truthfully it's nice and slow but with fast pace action. So I'm looking into joining a scenario team that does this local,but still only looking. So what I'm getting at are 98's cheap and still popular on the market? Are there mil sim kits available? I have seen some, actually some I really like . I'm not sure I want to spend money on a 98 if they are obsolete. Cause if I do get one,I want the full auto grip with it. Are those still sold too? What should I pay for a new and used one? Are they still factory supported. I have plenty of gear left over from my military days so thats one expense I wont have. It's just the marker and kits. So input from you guys especially those that mil sim paintball will be appreciated. In other words I'm not going to half *** a kit.
Later,
Blackrain
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Yes 98's are still in production and are fully supported. You can pick one up for not much more than $100, hell, I got one awhile back for 30. I just ordered an E-trigger kit for mine off ebay for $70 shipped which will replace the RT trigger kit. It does have a full-auto mode if you're into that kind of thing. BTW, I now have a like-new RT if you're interested.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
BT makes some great mil-sim parts for the 98 as does Pro-Team Products.

(with PTP you pretty much get the highest quality I've ever seen, but you pretty much pay for it as well.)

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Sitting on an Angry Chair

If you are going mil sim I would suggest skipping the 98 and going straight for the A5. Yes it is a bit more expensive, but you get some nice features for the money. It is easier to strip, clean and reassemble. The Cyclone is IMO a near flawless feeder. It has more upgrade/cosmetic options. I am going to go back to the Cyclone here, that alone is worth the upgrade.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
I agree on the Cyclone feed. I have one on my 98. You can get a cap for the feed which reduces the capacity to about 20 balls, but gives a much lower profile.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

Send a message via AIM to Surge-NS

CCM Fan
I have a Proteam Armson 98c that hasn't failed me yet, nice quality. I won that gun at my first scenario so I wouldn't let that sucker go for any price anyways.

I'm not sure that there is any real difference between the a5 and 98c as far as reliablity or quality. With the new e boards for the both of them and the availability of the cyclone feed as an upgrade, it is pretty much a matter of holding the both of them and deciding which one you like better.

As far as the matter of the body kit you choose, Opsgear tends to be really expensive for what you get, Proteam is kind of pricey but worth it imo, specops stuff is OK as long as you know beforehand that it's mostly composite and aren't dissapointed when you get it that it's not metal. Most kits are made for the a5 so if the kitted look is the look you want, I'd say get an a5 over a 98c.

If you don't neccisarily care if your gun looks exactly like an existing model, don't discount the Ion as an option. It's a little harder to dissasemble but with a decent tactical kit and barrel it can look mp40-ish. As with any E-gun though make sure to tape up the grip frame if youre taking it puddle jumping.

Aggressive! Kill!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=50&dateline=121202619  6
Surge-NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Firestorm

The thing I didn't like about the A-5 is having to "pump" it to feed the feed system after so many shots.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Or just get one of these...

Pro Carbine
Custom R/T
Cool as I'll get out
Old 04-29-2006, 08:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Sitting on an Angry Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm
The thing I didn't like about the A-5 is having to "pump" it to feed the feed system after so many shots.
Not trying to be rude, but I own an A5 and don't agree with your statement. Yes its true, when you first load the hopper you have to push the plunger once to advance a round into position (or just fire a few empty shots). After that you never touch the plunger again, until you run it dry and reload more balls. The only time I can see this happening is when the tank is running low and there is not enough pressure to cycle the Cyclone, but then its time for a new tank.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
CHEERS!

^^^
I thought the same thing when I read that Rain Dog...

I've never had to use the plunger on my A-5, even when it does go empty.

Firestorm... you may have a faulty system there. Or just need to refill the tank sooner.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone