mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #41 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowerpig81 View Post
Haha, T and Flo just hang out there and screw around. And moreso with Flippy the Wonder Bunny (ghost93) and Epic. Epic is a cool kid, I know him on another forum and he's funny. Sometimes I kind of take on that mentality, just on there to jack around.
This mentality is part of the reason for the decline. Instead of working constructively to help people and build the general knowledge base of the board, there's a select core that just goes on, hangs in the lounge and messes around. They create a clique of sorts that carries into the other sections. This makes it more difficult for new members to fit in, and thus new members coming in drops below the number of people leaving, board declines.

I'm not saying it's bad to have friends. But be sure that you don't create a barrier towards new members. Be helpful and they will stick around and cause the board to grow.
I do custom 3D printing and design work. PM me for inquiries.

Mission Masters
My Feedback
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #42 (permalink)
RTR ESSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
This mentality is part of the reason for the decline. Instead of working constructively to help people and build the general knowledge base of the board, there's a select core that just goes on, hangs in the lounge and messes around. They create a clique of sorts that carries into the other sections. This makes it more difficult for new members to fit in, and thus new members coming in drops below the number of people leaving, board declines.

I'm not saying it's bad to have friends. But be sure that you don't create a barrier towards new members. Be helpful and they will stick around and cause the board to grow.
I agree. This is why I still post up a bit there.

Feedback +27|-0
YouTube|flickr
shadow_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #43 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_772 View Post
I agree. This is why I still post up a bit there.
It's the reason I stay as well. I hope I can lead by example, share knowledge, and get the community to get back together and grow.
I do custom 3D printing and design work. PM me for inquiries.

Mission Masters
My Feedback
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #44 (permalink)
Olde Basterd#2

CCM Fan
Kilt Fan
I posted there recently just to add to the Phantom picture thread. Anyway I just got tired of the A-5 crowd. Maybe three years ago I made my first sniper rifle. It had a 20" barrel on a BT 4. Lot's of mods as I was planning on turning it into a bolt action. I posted a picture and got ripped apart because as every 12 year old on SO will tell you theres no snipers in paint ball. And the second group was pissed because in wasn't a cocker sniper. What pissed me off was 3 posts away was a crappy A-5 with a 20" barrel with no mod's and the same retreds where all on that one posting how cool it was. So I was soured on the place. I've bought allot of cool stuff over the years from them and the guy's I've talked to over the phone were very cool. Since the lay off is when it started to go down hill. One guy that got the gate on that down sizing had to be important! Feyd......
Old 09-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #45 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I used to post there pretty often but it seemed every time I posted the thread died. Hence.....threadkiller.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #46 (permalink)

They edit posts if they disagree with their viewpoint on anything, from gear to gameplay. So yeah, I stopped posting there. It became not worth my time unless I'm getting paid for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
Why do you always have to be a douche
10-shot kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #47 (permalink)
Always lurking... Always

Send a message via AIM to applesauce

stopped posting there when i found this place. Actualy, went back there a few months ago when they had a great sale , wouldnt alow me to place an order, tried to post something on the help fourms and found out my account was banned. still wonder why i got banned around there :/

Pops always used to say, "Better to be an a**hole than the whole a**".
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:15 PM   #48 (permalink)
AKA Doughnut Holeschtein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
Things change all the time.

I've been around long enough to see them all.

Paintballcity.com used to be THE place to go. They had everything. But for a dozen reasons, name changes, and eventually a server move that never happened, PaintballNation became the place to go and chat.

I'm member # 1153 at paintballnation. I was there from the start oo. They've remained on top of their game. Someday, someone will lie in wait, and take their place. It's just a matter of time.

Automags.org was huge. Those Tom Kaye give-a-ways chat room nights were down right nuts. Now? It's a quiet place. But automags are not as popular as they used to be. The forum has taken a hit because of it.

How about paintballstar.com? Man, talk about poplular... What happened? Not sure exactly, but if you try to go there, your browser will give you a warning about it being an attack site.

PbReview? Was #2 on the list of popular sites. Now? The forums are so dead that deals.pbhound.com doesn't even register the last time someone posted a pump gun for sale there because the post is too old. The reviews? Most are 3 or 4 years old as the newest ones.

Businesses will come and go, and the forums will come and go. Truth is, it is expensive to run a popular site. The more popular, the bigger and better the servers need to be. The faster the site needs to be. We're talking $2,500 to $5,000 a year or more... Eastily. Just for the privelage of running a popular place.

The small sites can get away with cheaper servers... the big ones can't. You need to be on top of everyting, and backup everything. It's almost a job, and you paying to bust your butt.

If you're lucky you can break even.

Running a site is a job. You can't create one and walk away and say: "That will run itself".

In closing, a website can only be run for as long as it is profitable, or as long as it is fun. You stop either, and they mostly shut their doors.

I do it for fun, and so I can play paintball with my friends.

I look down and see we have roughly 300 people online in the middle of a workday. I thank everyone that shows up here, and gives ME a place to hang out too. You can go by how many posts, or how many "members" you might have, but I always look at how many people are viewing.

EMR Fall Castle this weekend. See you there.
Thank you, Carter, for giving us a sane place to play ... I rarely go anywhere else PB related
OldGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #49 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGadget View Post
Thank you, Carter, for giving us a sane place to play ... I rarely go anywhere else PB related
x2 !!! I luv my MCB bros!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone