mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #21 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Sure, that's fine if you have the ability to play private games with people you know, but many, and virtually all new players, don't have that option. So although you personally may not be concerend about it, overall, we should be concerned.
I agree 100%. While the odds on most of us actually having to deal with the alleged revolution where we play are slim, we do need to worry about one of the largest manufacturers going bust, and the continuing decline of new players. While I think we will never ever have the growth we once had, we need some sort of positive growth.

Last edited by Harbinger[TG]; 10-19-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Harbinger[TG] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #22 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
Doom and gloom, eh?

Well the pendulum swings to and fro.

Never say never.
Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #23 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

I worry along similar lines Harb... another thing I worry about.. "recball' at my one local field is speed ball only... with woods ball being played only for private parties or scheduled scenerio events. That is a trend that is kind of scary to me. I totally understand it from a business aspect... fewer refs needed and LOTS of paint used... but for the sport to continue and still be played at it's roots I would think that it might be better to run games in the woods also that might be at a slower pace and attract newer players.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #24 (permalink)
Moderating in Moderation

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
nope
Politically, Socially and Aerodynamically Incorrect
Everything I have ever loved is immoral or illegal
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur.
stewart potter common sense, elephant and duck tests
Force this into a gaussian distributed parabolic curve!
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #25 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
Somehow it seems fashionable these days to get all "feared up" about all sorts of speculative doom scenarios for things we care about.

That and exploiting your children for TV reality fame...

Two trends I am looking forward to seeing in retrospect.

D
Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #26 (permalink)
Moderating in Moderation

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
it's just all a distraction

giant insect overlords are massing for an attack right now
Politically, Socially and Aerodynamically Incorrect
Everything I have ever loved is immoral or illegal
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur.
stewart potter common sense, elephant and duck tests
Force this into a gaussian distributed parabolic curve!
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #27 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Sure, that's fine if you have the ability to play private games with people you know, but many, and virtually all new players, don't have that option. So although you personally may not be concerend about it, overall, we should be concerned.
50 is not going to hurt the game anymore than high ROF and other factors already do. ROF is already too high, going higher is meaningless - its like being "too dead". Retaining new players is a major problem, and 50 does not matter positively or negatively. It annoys me that those thinking it will "save" the game then tell how much it will save the player who shoots 50-100 cases a year. Those are who the game needs saved from (for the most part) not for. I posted this on PBN if you want my opinion a little less condensed

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3232124&page=2
There's a lot of blame to go around for what got us into this situation.

- The game was more mature when you had to be 18 to play. Duh...
However, that doesn't mean that there are not responsible younger players out there. However, we have allowed too much "daycare" at paintball where unsupervised children cause issues. And yes, I understand that adults are a part of the problem too. With the "teenage" attitude of flashiness and one-upmanship we all tried to impress each other a little too much, from gear, to playing style, to stories. This was not a teenage problem, but I have a feeling it may not have progressed if the parents had been around - the adults would have been embarassed by their behaviour in front of other adults and things would have straightened out.

- The arms race of paintball equated the idea of accuracy by volume being a good thing. Even the great leaders of the paintball industry when it was growing and they were expanding knew this. And yes, science indicates firing a light weight, liquid filled, sphere (50 or 68 caliber is meaningless) at moderate speeds is going to create accuracy issues.

- "Never surrender" attitudes became popular. When you were in a close range unwinnable situation at one point you accepted it, smiled, told the player good job, and not a shot was fired.

-Win at all costs became popular. We cheated.... some people blatantly wiped hits, others would justify it "I was on a run to a bunker and HAD to slide so I couldn't tell if they hit". "It might not have broke so I needed to turn and fire" I have witnessed it going from times when games would stop and players check for hits on each other after being asked to "see if that broke on my back" to "if the ref didn't see it its not my fault".

-Open play is tournament ball. Even if we justified anything we did to win tournaments we managed to justify it with "gotta practice good habits" at open play.

-Divisions are a joke. Define rookie in paintball. Define it at a tournament. Define amatuer.

-CHEAP PAINT. When paint was $25 a bag + the majority of us simply could not afford to fire off cases in a day. Those that did were the abnormality and easily identified and avoided if wanted. This is where some of us panic at the idea of 50. CHEAPER paint does not seem to be the answer to "save paintball"

I'm sure there are a lot of problems I miss. Where does the responsibility fall to fix it. For some of us players we have simply quit playing except under very select circumstances. I play once a in awhile with an established group of generally older players playing the game I want. It "fixes" it for me. It does absolutely nothing for paintball overall. We as players can help the new players - but until we DEMAND the fields we play at get rid of the tournament scene at open play it likely doesn't matter that much. In the end the fix must be at the level of authority of a field owner. These are the rules, this is what is acceptable and what is not. You may lose some of the "biggest" customers. You know the ones "I shoot a case or three a week, you need me" people. The same ones who demand cost cuts because of the same. Don't be too worried, you know this is not where your money is. As players - vote with your wallet - play only where you get the experience you want.

Things will come around. Those fields that get it will continue, those that don't won't. You will see a natural contraction of paintball. As the fields that get it continue and those that don't fail the new players will have better experiences, and the game will grow again. The question is not getting back to that point, business cylces tell us we will. The question is, when we get back to that point, what are we going to do to avoid getting back to the point we are at now.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #28 (permalink)
08sdekim

Brass N Wood Fan
I'm very excited for .50 cal. Think of all the pistol designs that can be made with it! Its a smaller round so that means more fit inside a clip. Lets also be honest, most people wouldn't use a pistol for as a primary marker, at least not 100% of the time. So the shorter range of .50 cal shouldn't be to serious of a problem. This is also good for backyard games, if all your friends have .50 cal markers then the playing field is even, just make bounces count as hits. I'd also like to see someone make an actual shotgun style marker that shoots several balls at once!

Over all, I don't see .50 call having much of a mainstream appeal. Maybe for select tournaments, indoor, or beginners. But I think it has potential to develop a very entertaining niche. Plus, who doesn't want to be able to shoot a 3357!
mikeds80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I agree 100%. While the odds on most of us actually having to deal with the alleged revolution where we play are slim, we do need to worry about one of the largest manufacturers going bust, and the continuing decline of new players. While I think we will never ever have the growth we once had, we need some sort of positive growth.
Yes we do, or at least some stability with no more declines. And lower priced .50 cal is not going to help in achieving that.
Horizon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Paintballs recent problems, has been the lack of newer continuing players.. Alot of the renters will never play again or buy gear and not play but once a year.

Higher ROF scares off the "new" player, not the price..... I saw a party of 10 kids have fun for 3 hours, but only use one case of paint and one air fill each.

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
BigOldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone