mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-22-2009, 11:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Overthinking the problem. I've never had the contents of pods get wet if stored properly and quality pods are used. My old as hell 32 degrees pods stay very dry. I've not seen a problem with my field's GenXGlobal pods either, and we've played in some nasty stuff.

But perhaps, instead of sealing the outside of the pod, why not throw a crumpled up piece of paper towel inside the pod, on top of the paint. Use a whole sheet of paper towel, sacrifice 10 rounds worth of space, and put it on top of the paint, between the lid and the paint. That way if any water does happen to get in, it would be stopped by the paper towel. You can then stuff the paper towel in a pocket and quickly reload.
That is almost exactly what I was going to say.

Your pods are being held upside down, methinks you would have to be in a hurricane or under water for anything to get it.

I suppose if you were really paranoid you could also put a piece of serran wrap across the top under the lid, and then secure the lid down. It's serran wrap, it's cheap, why would you care about re-using it?

However, if you're really really paranoid why don't you just buy a waterproof container to use as pods? Sports water bottles are water tight. Many fit in pod holders and have large openings you can un-screw. I bought one exactly like this one at the dollar store and it fits in a pod perfectly;

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Alternator Customs

I wouldn't be concerned so much about direct contact with the rain so much as moisture in the air. The fat-boy style pods do a pretty good job of being air tight, but it still won't be perfect.

I myself still wouldn't be concerned about it. The moisture in the barrel, and the paintballs in your marker are pretty much gonna make all the work you did to keep them dry in the pods a moot point. Plus rain hitting your paint mid-flight doesn't help either.

It sucks, I know!
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altec View Post
I wouldn't be concerned so much about direct contact with the rain so much as moisture in the air. The fat-boy style pods do a pretty good job of being air tight, but it still won't be perfect.

I myself still wouldn't be concerned about it. The moisture in the barrel, and the paintballs in your marker are pretty much gonna make all the work you did to keep them dry in the pods a moot point. Plus rain hitting your paint mid-flight doesn't help either.

It sucks, I know!
Yeah, the humidity is my main concern. Likely, I will be shooting my Sniper II this weekend and using my VL-90. I have modded one of my pods to carry enough to fill the VL-90 directly and had planned on using my other pod holders to carry full 140 rounders up to the max I can carry. This will be my day's supply of paint and I just kind of wanted to keep it in good shape until dumping it in.

Maybe I just need to worry about more important things like peace in the world and ending world hunger...

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
If you really want something to cover the pods, use a can koozie. You can pick up the cheap collapsable ones on ebay for a dollar or 2. Just stitch them up so they aren't collapsable so you can keep rain out.

But if you ask me, if you are getting water in your pods, it's time for a new set. I've dunked my pods underwater without any moisture getting in.

EDIT: Saw your new post. If it's just the moisture from humidity you want out. Tape a small dessicant pack on the inside wall of the pod. If you use tiny one, ball capacity shouldn't be affected too much.

Like these,
25 packs of Silica Gel Dessicant Moisture Absorbent - eBay (item 220488778063 end time Oct-31-09 16:57:53 PDT)

Last edited by ta2maki; 10-22-2009 at 01:46 PM.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
www.yankeepaintball.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

Glad press-n-seal is what you're looking for.
Tug
Old 10-23-2009, 10:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Get some sort of silicone epoxy or a gasket maker and put a thin ring around the inside of your pod lid. When it dries, snap it down on the lip of the pod, and it should be sealed air tight! It should last longer than press and seal or paper towel.

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave.
I don't wanna die, I'm a god, why can't I live on?
When the Life Giver dies, all around is laid waste.
And in my last hour,
I'm a slave to the power of death.
p-bpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
You could purchase APP GATOR BACK™ 100rnd w/ EVERDUR™ Lid
Tube is molded in high impact plastic with super strong wall thickness to prevent crushing. Features special alignment back-bumps and a Grip-rite textured surface.Comes complete with Unbreakable clear rubber lid. Very heavy duty. Seals like a tupperware container.

funsi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

I have used magnum condoms for this on many an occasion, even works under water for short periods
alarmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

To everyone suggesting neoprene..
That's what wetsuits are made of...

Alive since you began playing.

"But gun control isn't about guns, its about control."
Phantom63 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone