mcarterbrown.com  

Dealers Forum Paintball Dealer? Having a Special? Let us know here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Powder Coater
 
Precision Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by karni-collector View Post
dear sweet lord, those pics completely changed my opinions on powder coating!!

Subscribed!!!.... and do you have a Facebook page?

Thats the response I typically get, its quite difficult to show someone how powder coating should look if they have had a bad experience with a poor shop.


I do have a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/PrecisionPowderME its fairly basic for now since I just made it . I have been trying to stay away from websites and fan pages because it leads to people wanting to see a price list which just cant be made since every job is different.

How ever you will be able to see more than just paintball gun work there, there is also an album of just color samples I have shot for people and colors I have created for other jobs.
__________________
PM ME FOR CUSTOM POWDER COATING
Like Us On Facebook
Precision Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
big jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Holdrege Nebraska

I am refurbishing a stock Nelspot 007 pistol and would like to do a stock flat black. Are we still looking in the $100 range or would something so basic be less? I know there is no challenge there for you but I would like the stock look.
__________________
Big Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
You'll have a tough time finding a nicer group of people on the internet(even if our opinions all suck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalsilence View Post
I've dealt with canadians several times and I usually undercharge by 2-5 dollars cause I feel bad for them sometimes. Just my 2cents.

feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...k-big-jim.html
big jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Powder Coater
 
Precision Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jim View Post
I am refurbishing a stock Nelspot 007 pistol and would like to do a stock flat black. Are we still looking in the $100 range or would something so basic be less? I know there is no challenge there for you but I would like the stock look.
Send me some pictures of it. It would really depend on size and current finish.
__________________
PM ME FOR CUSTOM POWDER COATING
Like Us On Facebook
Precision Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
big jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Holdrege Nebraska

I will send a picture when I get ready to have the work done. I haven't started on it yet. I would assume the finish will be wire brushed off as it is currently slightly rusty at the moment.
__________________
Big Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
You'll have a tough time finding a nicer group of people on the internet(even if our opinions all suck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalsilence View Post
I've dealt with canadians several times and I usually undercharge by 2-5 dollars cause I feel bad for them sometimes. Just my 2cents.

feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...k-big-jim.html
big jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
boo
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: chicago, il

I love powder coating, I restore old bikes as a hobby and I love getting a vintage frame blasted and coated in metallic flakes. Its durable as hell, I can lock a bike up against a signpost or get it knocked over without scratching.

That being said I'm a little skeptical to use powdercoating on paintball markers. If coating is chosen over anno, Ceracoat seems to be the way to do it, even with the limited color options.

Do you have any pictures of powder coated markers after a season of rough play?

My biggest concern is with repeated wear to a single spot. Its usually not an issue with cars and bikes, but a huge issue on paintball markers. I'm thinking stuff like misaligned pump arms, leaning a marker against wood bunkers and trees while firing and aiming, and repeated paintball hits over time.

Both scratch, but since powder coating is a plastic coating with a much thicker plastic surface then the metal anno, the scratches in the powder coat stand out a lot more.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
Powder Coater
 
Precision Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jim View Post
I will send a picture when I get ready to have the work done. I haven't started on it yet. I would assume the finish will be wire brushed off as it is currently slightly rusty at the moment.
No wire brush, that creates a non uniform surface, I will media blast it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post
I love powder coating, I restore old bikes as a hobby and I love getting a vintage frame blasted and coated in metallic flakes. Its durable as hell, I can lock a bike up against a signpost or get it knocked over without scratching.

That being said I'm a little skeptical to use powdercoating on paintball markers. If coating is chosen over anno, Ceracoat seems to be the way to do it, even with the limited color options.

Do you have any pictures of powder coated markers after a season of rough play?

My biggest concern is with repeated wear to a single spot. Its usually not an issue with cars and bikes, but a huge issue on paintball markers. I'm thinking stuff like misaligned pump arms, leaning a marker against wood bunkers and trees while firing and aiming, and repeated paintball hits over time.

Both scratch, but since powder coating is a plastic coating with a much thicker plastic surface then the metal anno, the scratches in the powder coat stand out a lot more.
Cerakoat, which I use often refinishing firearms is a ceramic coat. Its not nearly as durable. If powder coated correctly it is unlikely to scratch. When I get back to the office I will post a picture of something we use just for those questions. The problem you see with wear points in powder coating is when a clear coat is not used. A proper clear coat solves those issues. Drift cars often use powder coated lugs, few items see that abuse, they hold up fine. Leaning a gun against something will not cause any issues.

If the coater uses subpar powder, does not correctly prep, or under cures the powder it can. I however always blast anything other than clean ano for a good profile, acetone wash everything, use the highest quality powder on the market, and constantly check part temps with a heat gun to insure parts always have spend the correct time curing.
__________________
PM ME FOR CUSTOM POWDER COATING
Like Us On Facebook
Precision Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Powder Coater
 
Precision Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Maine

As promised here is the durability test subject.




A little background behind it.

That is a water bottle I made for my younger brother to take on the road with him while he is driving trucks. The only instructions I gave him was to not baby it. That image was taken two months after i gave it to him. That bottle has seen 60 hour work weeks, falls off houses, falls off the back of trucks into gravel, its been slammed into forklifts, thrown in and out of trucks, slid across metal flat beds, its seen just about everything the construction industry can throw at it. It has taken it like a champ, the coating just bends with the metal. Keep in mind this bottle is a SINGLE COAT ONLY, there is absolutely NO CLEAR COAT on it for added durability. The coating is still going strong and its on month 4 now.


Hopefully that answered any durability questions for everyone
__________________
PM ME FOR CUSTOM POWDER COATING
Like Us On Facebook
Precision Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Active Member
 
Mercenario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Valrico, FL

I am sold
Mercenario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Eating Iranian Happy Cake
 
Neurotic Hapi Snak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ham Lake, MN

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Dah-umn! Now I just need a gun to powder coat, lol.
__________________
Neurotic Hapi Snak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Powder Coater
 
Precision Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenario View Post
I am sold
I will post more of the bottle as time goes on to show how it holds up under consistent abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurotic Hapi Snak View Post
Dah-umn! Now I just need a gun to powder coat, lol.

When you find one you know where to find me. I always can fit in time for more guns as I run 2 ovens in the shop. One large 6x6x4 oven for big items or multiple small parts, and a smaller parts oven for doing small parts while the big one is going.



To keep you guys interested here are some colors I have created lately so you can see there is no shortage of what can be made with a little creativity.


Please keep in mind these are just sample pieces for colors so they are nothing special to look at, they are just to have an idea what it will look like and for me to experiment with new blends and combinations on.



























Gloss black, smooth in person, just picture makes it look grainy









Hopefully those spark some interest with you guys. I am ALWAYS making new colors and blends for custom jobs or out of my own curiosity/projects so expect to see interesting colors posted here for you guys
__________________
PM ME FOR CUSTOM POWDER COATING
Like Us On Facebook
Precision Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » Buy, Sell, Trade » Dealers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC