mcarterbrown.com  

Dealers Forum Paintball Dealer? Having a Special? Let us know here.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:49 AM   #91 (permalink)
WARNING:I Do Stupid $#!@

what would a double holster run, sits in the small of ypur back area putting the pistols in almost a v?
http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=170725

My Drinking Team Has A Paintball Problem.
------
I Shot The Sheriff,The Deputy And The Ref.. But We All Knew The Ref Had It Coming.
NoX13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #92 (permalink)

Ahhh, you mean the "Castor Troy". This is a very interesting design. I believe there was another company that tried this and it failed. The T8 is too big of a gun to offer that "V" configuration without the guns flopping all over the place, when you run.

Then there's the issue of retention. How do you keep both those heavy guns retained but then still keep them readily accessible for quick draws (remember, the guns are on your back)? You'd have to feel for the thumb breaks, release them, then draw the guns. Not the easiest thing to do with guns behind your back. That "V" configuration just doesn't lend itself to functional draws.

That's why we were thinking of the "Castor Troy" configuration. If you don't know who Castor Troy is he was a character that Nicolas Cage played in the movie "Face Off". He carried two custom .45s.
The "Castor Troy" Rig is where the guns are held vertical in the small of your back (instead of the V). This allows for a good center of gravity on your tactical belt (no flopping around when in hot pursuit). Plus, it allows for an easy draw.
The tricky part still revolves around the retention, based upon the reason(s) I stated above. We have to find that healthy balance between positive retention as well as ease of draw. We can def pull it off, but I guess we can use you guys to "pilot" it. We can use your feedback in terms of improvements, practical use, etc. Let me know what you guys think. Also, I've added a pic of Castor Troy's Rig below to give you an idea of what I was talking about.

Last edited by SkunkWorksPB; 09-20-2012 at 02:28 PM.
SkunkWorksPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #93 (permalink)
WARNING:I Do Stupid $#!@

funny ya posted that.. just finished watching the movie about ten minutes ago.

and yeah thats actually a better idea then what i was thinking.
http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=170725

My Drinking Team Has A Paintball Problem.
------
I Shot The Sheriff,The Deputy And The Ref.. But We All Knew The Ref Had It Coming.
NoX13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #94 (permalink)
All things awesome

Send a message via MSN to WidowMaker Send a message via Skype™ to WidowMaker

Fan of EMR
To be honest, I havent had any issues sans swivel. I didnt attach the two screws that lock it to the belt though, I didnt really see them necessary. If I sit or crouch, it allows it to slide on the belt for positioning.

Great name for that rig though

www.patchpanel.ca
WidowMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:13 AM   #95 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
I might have some input again :-)

I got robert of cops911 to make and call it a castor troy holster, and then he ''gave'' the design to specops back in the day, for the original castor troy for two zeus pistols. It definitely was a spanking machine when you run.

Also pball pistols are huge. Two of them on your back with any bit of angle, which makes guns(the size of pball guns) draw and reholster comfortable, will have their grips stick out past your hips. A big problem with holstering pball pistols is that they will stick out too far in most positions.

You could mount them lower so they can still be drawn and holster at more of a vertical angle, but then they would be even more of a spanker.

Guns the size of ours mounted up high in the small of your back, like Troy has his 1911's, would need a double jointed shoulder to get at.

So what do I do now?

I have an older skunkworks holster (pre retention strap, only the trigger guard for retention) on a belt holder in the middle of my back, left handed draw, at a comfortable angle for a gun that long. To draw: my left thumb rests on the belt holder and pushes, popping the trigger guard out of its lock. To reholster I just find the holster with my barrel tip and slam it home. Kydex is awesome for reholstering one handed where you cant see the holster.

I really like being able to quickly and confidently empty my hands to do other stuff. I hardly ever need a quick draw, and even if I do its not that bad. But being able to help kids with their masks or reloading is nice.

So I pretty much always have this left handed rear holster on me, whether its for a tac8 as a secondary to a pump or if I have two tac8s on me.

The primary tac8 goes into a right handed shoulder holster (left arm pit). You have to find an acceptable angle and height that's comfortable for you. That may mean putting it more on your hip or just letting it stick out and be careful when you snap shoot with that side.

There is one other draw that I like for such long guns, ill have to find the video for it to really make sense but I will try to describe it.
Gun holstered on your hip with the barrel parallel to the ground, under your draw hand.
Your hand rests on the holster and draws the long gun forward, grip butt out and away.
This puts your index finger around the trigger guard. You kinda roll ''drop'' the gun, so that the trigger guard rolls onto the index finger.
Then you twirl it the rest of the way into your grip.

I know this sounds really complex, bits its only three hand motions and works for really long pistols or with a silencer tip. In fact this is the only draw that was comfortable with my joker gun (drv with a 14" barrel)
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:35 AM   #96 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Douple post, found a video. Guess its the curly bill draw?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ada7l...e_gdata_player

Anyway, I will try and get behind the back holster pics this week to help show what I was talking about earlier
Old 09-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #97 (permalink)

@ WidowMaker
I'm a man of my word, my friend - a man of my word!!! Thanks for the pic.

@ Dundadun
Always good to hear from you. Your input is invaluable. Always great when people can come up with new & innovative ways to use our holsters.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #98 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Here are some older setup pictures.

I have two belts because I like to remove my dump pouch and 10round tube holders to reload without removing the holster belt.

To explain what you see there, the skunkworks holster rides the small of my back.
The mag pouch is over my left butt cheek/hip, with the 10 round tubes over my right butt cheek.
The Lever gun rides on my right hip down my thigh.
The dump pouch covers the family jewels.

Also and the unholstered picture, see that hook for the lever gun? That is glued on top of that swivel I mentioned. It lets that long gun follow my leg and I can sit down just fine.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #99 (permalink)

SkunkWorksPB,

I've pm-ed you twice, don't know if you've received them or not...

~Echoes
Echoes-of-Honor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #100 (permalink)

Hey Dundadun,

I think it's time we swap out that "old" holster for you. The newer ones look a bit more "sexier". Give me your address again, I'll put a short version in the mail for you.

mcarterbrown.com » Buy, Sell, Trade » Dealers Forum